News Reports and Articles
Puerto Rico: Fireballs over Ponce
The Journal of Hispanic Ufology
January 14, 2008
PUERTO RICO: Fireballs over Ponce
*** A report from Lucy Guzman, Ovni.net ***
A cellphone report received on Saturday 01.12.08. Domingo Morales phoned Andrew Alvarez to make a report on sightings in the City of Ponce. Mr. Alvarez told him to phone me. Mr. Morales reported the following:
1. His brother, a resident of Valle Alta, Ponce, told him that on Friday, January 4 2008 at 9:30 p.m,., his wife called him over to look at a fireball over their house. Upon going outside , he saw an immense ball of red fire. The wife didn't see it approach, rather she saw it suddenly appear and light up on the spot. It remained static for some 20 minutes at an approximate altitude of 300 feet. It spent 20 minutes lighting on and off. The fireball finally diminished the intensity of its color and began moving SW in a zig-zag pattern, going up and down. It had the apparent size of a baseball stadium floodlight.
2. On Saturday January 5, 2008 at 9:40 p.m., Domingo's brother phoned again, this time to have Domingo climb onto the rooftop of his house to see if it was possible for him to see the fireball, as he (the brother) was seeing it. Domingo lives in Los Caobos, but was unable to see the object from his home. According to Domingo's brother, the fireball was over the same site, above his house and exhibiting the same behavior.
At 10:40 p.m., the fireball reappeared. This time, Domingo's brother saw it with nearly all of his neighbors. One of the neighbors was able to photograph it with a cellphone. On this occasion, a twin-engine plane flew over the area 15 minutes after the fireball vanished. This [fireball] did not appear suddenly, it came in from [the town of] Adjuntas.
3. On Sunday, January 6, 2008, Domingo and his wife decided to visit Domingo's brother to see if the were lucky enough to see the fireball. Just as they got out of the car, at 9:30 p.m., they saw two white balls of light to the SW which appeared to be joined. They looked like two orbs to the naked eye, but binoculars revealed them to be two plate like objects joined together. These were higher up, at some 5000 feet. (Domingo is a pilot, and is therefore able to calculate altitude better than the average witness). In plain sight they looked like two joined golf balls. They separated a minute later -- one heading south and another to the north.
5 minutes later, Domingo phone FURA [P.R. police aerial reconnaissance] and was told that they were going to send their helicopter for a look. Domingo never saw the helicopter engage in a fly-over. Domingo recalls that while he observed the two orbs, a woman and her daughters stopped to ask him if they were seeing the fireballs. She added that the fireballs had been visible since November in that location, becoming apparent between 9-10 p.m. and as early as 5 p.m.
4. No sightings were reported on Monday, January 7.
5. Today, Saturday, January 12, Domingo will return with a camera in an effort to take pictures of the objects.
(Translation (c) 2007, S. Corrales, IHU. Special thanks to Lucy Guzman, Ovni.Net)
UFOINFO would like to thank Scott Corrales (Inexplicata & Inexplicata Blog) and UFO UpDates for granting permission to use this article. To keep up to date with follow-up reports and discussions you are advised to subscribe to UFO UpDates. For more information write to Errol Bruce-Knapp at: email@example.com or visit http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/.