On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 August 8

1849 - On this afternoon the astronomer Inglis in Gais, Switzerland watched thousands of crown-shaped discs fly pass her observatory for 25 minutes. (Sources: Charles Fort,  Book of the Damned, p. 210; Desmond Leslie & George Adamski, Flying Saucers Have Landed, p. 26 & 45).

1949 - On this afternoon five luminous disc-shaped objects flew in V-formation over Medford, Oregon and were sighted by three witnesses in flight aboard a military aircraft. The discs were estimated to be 35 feet in diameter, and were flying to the east-southeast at 10,000 feet altitude at a speed of 150 mph. The pilot attempted to chase them, but they outflew his airplane. (Sources: Richard F. Haines, Project Delta: A Study of Multiple UFO, p. 179; Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. Volume 2: 1949, p. 22).

1951 - A dark cigar-shaped object, seven meters long, flew over Port Clinton, Ohio at great speed at 2:10 p.m. It was seen from the air by a witness named Skelops. (Sources: Dominique Weinstein, Aircraft UFO Encounters, p. 14; Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. 1951, p. 37).

1954 - At 3:01 p.m. Dr. Wilbert B. Smith, working privately but with government equipment, detected an atmospheric disturbance in Shirley's Bay, Ontario that he attributed to UFO activity. There was a big electromagnetic pulse and radio interference. There was a meteor in France at approximately the same time. (Sources: Donald E. Keyhoe, Flying Saucer Conspiracy, p. 196; Timothy Good, Above Top Secret, p. 186; John R. Colombo, UFOs over Canada: Personal Accounts of Sightings and Close Encounters, p. 211; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 3507)

1956 - A weatherman in Durango, Colorado watched a football-shaped object hover for about one hour beginning around 11:00 p.m. It gave off a constant blue-red light, and was occasionally obscured by a "steam-like haze" which appeared to come from the UFO. It changed position multiple times, then finally shot away. (Sources: Rocky Mountain News, August 10, 1956; Leonard H. Stringfield, CRIFO Orbit, September 1956, p. 3; Alexander Mebane, Civilian Saucer Intelligence--New York Newsletter, September 1956, p. 7; Loren E. Gross, The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse: UFOs: A History. 1956: August, p. 22).

1958 - At 1:27 a.m. a public official of the Argentine National Senate experienced a complete car failure, including his dashboard clock, when he saw a domed disc-shaped object 300 meters away while driving on the highway between Unsue and Bolivar, Buenos Aires province, Argentina. The object made a soft whistling sound. It approached the car, then climbed away rapidly, after which the car could be restarted. (Source: Oscar A. Uriondo, FSR Case Histories, December 1973, p. 17).

1959 - At 6:30 p.m. a white sphere appeared in the northeastern sky in Biniguni, Papua New Guinea. Green rays of light like coherent light beams came from the object. The object itself expanded and contracted as it hovered.  After two hours and 40 minutes it took off towards the east over Mount Maneao. (Source: Norman E. G. Cruttwell, UFOs in Two Worlds: FSR Special Edition No. 4, p. 35).

1961 - The witness awoke at 3:30 a.m. in Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada to see two beings in her bedroom, one at each end of her bed. They were four feet tall and dressed in green tunics and trousers. They wore transparent helmets with the visors open. A neighbor saw a blue globe take off from the lawn with a swishing sound. (Sources: John Brent Musgrave, FSR, August 1977, p. 26; APRO Bulletin, April 1977, p. 6; Canadian UFO Report, Spring 1977, p. 21).

1963 - Mount Vernon, Illinois. At 10:10 p.m. an oval, luminous object was sighted coming from the north. It dove toward Centralia Road, followed a car, and flew around it. Next, it went away toward the west, then disappeared like a light bulb that was turned off; it was seen again in the west flying very fast. It was observed by numerous people. Total duration: 15 minutes. (Source: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case # 577, citing ATIC).

1965 - At 11:30 p.m. Sylvia Hoialman, Becky Evanston, and Becky Aanstad, all 21 years old, were driving near the Lincoln Park Golf Course in Grand Forks, North Dakota when they saw a yellow luminous, disc-shaped flying object that they first took to be the moon. But it then “blinked black and white,” and the silhouettes of several little figures could be seen inside the craft. Three men in another nearby car also saw the object; a teenage boy reportedly ran toward it and the object disappeared with a bang. (Sources: Grand Forks Herald, August 10, 1965; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1965-31 (A0642); Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 676; Jerome Clark, Flying Saucer Review, March-April 1966, p. 9).

1967 - At 8:40 p.m. a huge crescent-shaped object flew over an astronomical station in Stavropol, Russia and was witnessed by seven Soviet scientists. Its speed was very slow, only 11 km per hour. (Sources: NICAP UFO Investigator, March 1968, p. 6; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 7907).

1967 - Evangelical Pastor Estanislao Lugo Contreras was at the shore in Salina, Venezuela on this evening when he saw a disc-shaped object with a very bright orange glow and emitting a buzzing sound, rise out of the sea. It hovered a few seconds and then rose obliquely into the sky. (Sources: Jim & Coral Lorenzen, UFOs over the Americas, pp. 54-55; Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 867).

1968 - At around two a.m. Miguel Bitschko of Canuelas, Argentina was woke up by a bright light coming from outside his home. Going outside he was astonished to see a huge disc-shaped object on the ground in a nearby field. The object had a dome with a revolving red light on top. As he stared at the object in disbelief a door opened on the craft, then a ladder descended to the ground. Soon a very tall man, over two meters tall, emerged from the craft. The figure wore a shiny metallic, tight fitting uniform. At the same time the object was emitting a loud humming sound. The giant started to walk towards the witness, who stood paralyzed with fear. The figure then suddenly stopped, walked back to the object, and got back in. The craft then climbed vertically up into the sky at high speed and disappeared from sight. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1968, citing Fabio Picasso).

1968 - On this evening two witnesses in Ceres, California watched a disc-shaped object with a very bright orange glow and emitting a buzzing sound, rise out of the Pacific Ocean. It then hovered a few seconds and finally flew off at an oblique angle into the sky. (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case A1003).

1969 - Dollie Hansen of West Akron, Ohio was a UFO contactee who claimed to have been in touch with UFO occupants. She had been promised a trip in a spaceship on Thursday, August 7 that didn't happen. At 2:00 a.m. on Friday a knock came at her door, and outside was a superbly built young woman with deep chestnut hair but no features on her face. Nevertheless, Mrs. Hansen had no fear, and went with her to a black car containing two men, which was wrapped in a gray mist, and conveyed them to the spaceship. She was given the promised ride, but she gave no details beyond this, except to say that the spaceship was softly lit and contained no visible seams or welds. Around the same time a local handicapped boy also reported being taken onboard a UFO and given a ride; his encountered occurred at 2:30 a.m. (Source: Daivd F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1969-43 (A1061); Brinsley Le Poer Trench, Mysterious Visitors, p. 114).

1970 - A large UFO paced a car in Salta, Argentina. (Source: UFO Nachtrichten, June 1971).

1971 - Mr. Boyce, age 51, was driving near a horse race track about five kilometers outside of Kadina, South Australia when his car engine stopped and lights died at the same time the car was illuminated by an orange glow that lit up the side of the road. Leaving his car, the witness saw an orange oval or disc-shaped object with two red and one green lights. The object was about 30 feet in diameter, and had 3-4 windows. It hovered at 50 meters altitude directly above his car for two to three minutes, and made a buzzing or purring sound. (Sources: Keith Basterfield, case investigation files, case S035; UFO Research Australia, March 1982, p. 25; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, p. 51; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, p. 253).

1972 - At around 3:00 a.m. Fernando Dedeu's car radio began to develop a hum and other problems while driving in Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires province, Argentina. He stopped the car and gave a ride to a 6.5 foot tall man who was wearing a shallow helmet. The man had a long chin and a turned up collar. Then his car engine stalled, whereupon a UFO next landed in a nearby field and his passenger left the vehicle unseen. The car's door handle lay in the road, detached. (Sources: Alan Baker, p. 30; ).

1975 - At 10:00 p.m. two teenagers in Ostricourt, Nord department, France, both 17, were watching a luminous object circle in the sky, when it came down in a field a quarter of a mile away from them. Together with a third younger witness they went off to the landing site, located among some old mineshafts and slag piles. They found the object hovering motionless about five meters above the ground, in front of a stand of trees, some 300 meters to their left. It looked like a plate turned upside down with a dome on top, with alternating red and orange lights blinking around the rim. The dome was red and the underneath portion was yellow, and it made no sound. They next saw two humanoid figures standing 30 meters directly in front of them. The beings were about 1.50 metes tall, and they were moving slowly and stiffly in the direction of the young people. They held their arms as if they were "glued to their bodies, and their legs were motionless as they glided smoothly along just above the rough terrain. Although they were brightly illuminated by a white light, they had no discernable features. After about a minute the young people, who had been petrified with fear, "found their legs" and beat a hasty retreat home. They told their parents what they had seen, but no one believed them. Next day the young people went back to the site. Although they could not find any footprints or other ground marks in the area covered by the beings, they did find the ground blackened and grass charred at the point over which the object had hovered. Two months later, when the investigators examined the site, the blackened area was still visible. (Sources: Joel Mesnard & Jean Marie Bigorne, Lumieres dans la Nuit, December 1980; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1975-39 (A1852), citing Joel Mesnard & Jean Marie Bigorne).

1978 - At 9:40 p.m. in Belton, Missouri several military personnel witnessed the flyover of a UFO that was tracked on radar. The encounter lasted 45 minutes. A cattle mutilation had been discovered earlier that day in Elsberry, Missouri. (Sources: (1) Allan Hendry, International UFO Reporter, September 1978, p. 3; UNICAT database, case 145; (2) Elsberry Democrat, August 10, 1978).

1980 - During the previous evening, around 9:30 p.m., author Ellen Crystal was out in an isolated field near Pine Bush, New York by herself when she noticed a large lighted object descend among some nearby trees. The object turned its lights off as it landed. She decided not to approach. However, after midnight she decided to investigate, drove near the site, and with a flashlight caught sight of a four-foot tall thin humanoid with a large head and huge yellow cat-like eyes. It was wearing a tight fitting, beige jumpsuit. The being stood there briefly and stared at the witness, who panicked and quickly drove away. (Sources: Ellen Crystal, The Silent Invasion, p. 41; Ellen Crystal, UFO Universe, Spring 1989).

1980 - On the large Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico nuclear weapons storage facility, a Sandia Security Guard drove his jeep up Coyote Canyon at 11:50 p.m. He approached on foot, and had a clear view of a round disc hovering at the Manzano Weapons Storage Area. He tried to radio in an alert but his two-way radio would not work. The UFO left by shooting straight up at high speed. Two other security guards saw a fast moving nocturnal light, probably the same object, stop dead, maneuver, and then shoot straight up. The incident lasted 30 minutes. (Sources: UNICAT, case # 373; Lawrence Fawcett & Barry J. Greenwood, Clear Intent: The Government Cover-up of the UFO Experience, p. 224).

1981 - At 6:30 p.m. the male percipient was walking back from the beach in Chalupy, Poland on his way to his campsite, when 150 meters ahead of him he caught sight of two short men in dark clothing that ran across the trail and vanished into some bushes. A few moments later he saw them again on the path ahead of him. They were short and of slim build, and dressed in dark green uniforms. Their faces were green and they had large almond-shaped eyes. Halfway down their abdomen they were covered by a mist. Hanging from their belts were some odd tools: black boxes with purple and yellow cables and spiral wires. At the same time he caught sight of a silvery, oblong disc-shaped object hovering over his head, misty in appearance. He next received a telepathic message telling him "not to be afraid." He continued walking slowly, and the two beings stepped off the path. The witness experienced a strange sensation and received an additional telepathic message, but he continued on and left. He likely experienced a short period of missing time. Later, strange marks were found on the ground where the object had hovered. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 14256, citing FSR, volume 33, number 1).

1981 - A teardrop shaped UFO with a spinning ring paced an airplane off its left wing over San Jose, California on this day. Instruments onboard the plane experienced failures, but the effects ended when the object departed upwards. The aircraft briefly disappeared from FAA radar during the encounter. (Source: Richard H. Hall, MUFON UFO Journal, February 1984, p. 14).

1985 - In Florence (Firenze), Italy a witness watched an ovoid object fly near his balcony at 3:30 a.m. Two human appearing occupants were seen inside the object's transparent dome. The object extended landing gear and then landed. Landing traces were found in the yard at the site. (Source: Fabrizio Villa, FSR, April 1987, p. 26).

1987 - A security guard sighted a large circle of light over a pasture near Denver, Colorado. Two cows were found dead and mutilated the next day. (Source: Timothy Good, Alien Contact, p. 59).

1991 - On this afternoon in a suburb of Indianapolis, Indiana at around 3:00 p.m. UFO abductee Debbie Tomey and her son noticed a strange figure standing under a falling cascade of water from a rain gutter during a pouring rain storm. The water seemed to outline the humanoid being's body, which included a baldhead. Apparently the being was nearly invisible, and could only be seen while the water fell on him. After a few minutes it left. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1991, case # 1444, citing Debbie Tomey, Strange Magazine, issue # 13).

1993 - At around 1:00 a.m. near Narre Warren North, Victoria, Australia three carloads of people, including the principal witness 27-year-old Kelly Cahill, her husband and three children encountered a huge disc-shaped object hovering low above a field by the roadside. It had what appeared to be orange-lighted windows around the bottom. Humanoid figures were seen moving about inside. Their next conscious memory was seeing the object suddenly shoot away at high speed. Later, as they approached their home, they saw a tall dark figure standing on the side of the road. Later they were able to recall how they had stopped their vehicle and gotten out to approach the large UFO. To their surprise, they noticed another car stopped at the side of the road. As they walked down toward the craft, they saw a seven-foot tall black figure with huge fiery red eyes appear in the field. The figure began moving slowly towards them, apparently gliding. Kelly panicked and began yelling hysterically "they have no souls!" when suddenly dozens of similar beings appeared and began moving quickly towards the group of witnesses. The aliens were beneath the immense flying craft. They seemed to congregate in small groups; one group glided toward Kelly and her husband covering a hundred yards in a mere few seconds. Another group approached the other car, which sat motionless near the hovering craft. Kelly had a sense that the creatures were evil. She clung to her husband, fighting the feeling of blacking out, but at this point all of the witnesses blacked out. Their next conscious recall was being in their car watching the object shoot away. The occupants of the other vehicle would later come forward and tell almost exactly the same story: a story of abduction, mind control, and embarrassing medical procedures. Kelly recalled through dreams that one of the black aliens stooped over her naked body like he was kissing her navel. That night, when Kelly undressed for bed, she noticed a strange triangular mark on her navel, a mark she had never seen before. Kelly suffered from general malaise for the next two weeks, and was taken to the hospital on two occasions, one for severe stomach pains, and another for a uterine infection. The witnesses all had a two 2 hour time lapse. (Sources: Kelly Cahill, Encounter, 239 pp.; Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1993, case # 1865, citing Bill Chalker, International UFO Reporter, Volume 19, Number 5; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, p. 34).

1997 - Mr. Harris in Coventy, England viewed two objects through binoculars at 10:30 p.m.: one was cigar shaped, and shone brightly in three colors: pastel blue, red, cream; the other was smaller, cream colored, U shaped, and did not shine. They moved together higher in the sky. (Source: Lynn Picknett, Mammoth Book of UFOs, p. 168).

1998 - At 5:30 a.m. five witnesses in Claut, Pordenone, Italy spotted a UFO and a flying humanoid over a soccer field. Two farmers, the groundskeeper, and a pair of tourists watched the humanoid fly overhead and then rejoin the hovering object. The craft then shot straight up into the sky. One of the farmers, Angelo F., was having breakfast when he first saw the multicolored UFO. A second man named Angelo, the groundskeeper, saw the object when it flew by and hovered over the field. The witnesses described the humanoid as having a large head and a small body "like a puppet." He was about four feet tall, and wore what appeared to be V-shaped body armor equipped with a luminous backpack. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1998, case # 3132, citing Antonio Chiumento).

1998 - At 10:45 p.m. a large dark triangle that was viewed through binoculars flew over the shoreline at Kerlaviou, Finistere department, France at a low altitude, heading toward the east. It had lit corners and made a slight rumbling sound. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case 18060).

1999 - A huge object with counter-rotating rings of light flew over Logan Village, Queensland, Australia at 9:20 p.m. It was lit up with lights like a Ferris wheel. (Source: George Filer, Filers' Files, volume 9, number 34).

2000 - A procession of nocturnal objects occurred in Bethania, near Beenleigh, Queensland, Australia at 7:15 p.m. Fifteen to twenty round white balls of light flew high in sky, and crossed rapidly from horizon to horizon one after the another. There was no sound, and the entire experience lasted 15 minutes. (Source: Sheryl Gottschall, UFO Research Queensland website).

2002 - In Revere, Massachusetts a five foot wide, dull black noiseless sphere buzzed buildings for 90 seconds. (Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, August 2002 archived webpage).

2008 - A missing time experience during a humanoid encounter occurred early this night in Wrentham, Massachusetts. A man and his sister were hiking through the Joe’s Rock area and were taken aback by a very strange being they saw lurking behind a tree. Curious, both witnesses approached the creature as it shyly walked out from behind the tree. It was incredibly thin, and its color looked pale and much washed out. Its skin was also very wrinkly and looked like old, soft leather. The creature then began making strange clicking and moaning sounds. Both witnesses were stunned and could not react to what they were seeing. The main witness does not remember much else of the experience, except that he remembers being back at the car and it was then that he realized, when checking his cellphone, that the time was already 1:46 a.m. The creature was additionally described as being about 4.5 feet tall with dark black eyes. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 2008, 

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 27 July 2012).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database.

Themes: abductions, aircraft encounters, bedroom visitation, black humanoids with red eyes, buzzing sounds, coherent light beams, disc-shaped UFOs, domed discs, featureless faces on UFOnauts, flying humanoid, Grey humanoids, missing time, multicolored UFOs, multi-year reports from Argentina, nautical UFO (UFO rising out of the ocean), orange UFOs, ovoid UFOs, short humanoids, tall UFOnauts, unexplained animal deaths (cattle mutilations) associated with UFOs, UFOs near nuclear weapons, vehicle EM ignition interference effects, vertical ascent.

© Donald A. Johnson