On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 December 29

1954 - At 9:00 p.m. a red oval-shaped object was seen on the ground near a river in Bru, Gironde, France, 50 meters away from witnesses. The main witness, a Mr. Gamba, tried to approach it but was unable to move. The object rose up into the air, and as it did it changed color from white to red. Traces found at the site showed that the ground had been dug up, and some small trees had been cut. (Sources: Jacques Vallee, The Humanoids: FSR Special Edition No. 1, p. 20; Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 358, citing Sud Quest, December 31, 1954).

1954 - In Bergamo, near Clusone, Italy a cigar-shaped object was seen hovering 25 meters from the ground at midnight. Several figures could be seen inside a transparent compartment. (Sources: Jimmy Guieu, Flying Saucers Come from Another World, p. 240; Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue #326).

1967 -  Coming home from a basketball game in Breese, Illinois at 9:30 p.m., four teenagers watched a motionless bright light in the sky and got out of their car. They felt an intense heat, and heard a humming sound. The sensation of heat became very strong, even in the car. The UFO left after 10 minutes. (Sources: Skylook, April 1969, p. 11;  Jay Rath, The I-Files: True Reports of Unexplained Phenomena in Illinois, p. 52).

1974 -  Multiple reports of a UFO with bright colored lights came about the same time that a family of four called the Lumberton County Sheriff's dispatcher to report seeing a humanoid figure wearing "a silver and black suit with some sort of helmet" in the Forest Acres area of Lumberton, North Carolina. The figure would jump into bushes and vanish when observed. The callers sounded sober, according to dispatcher Fred Barnes. Four deputies checked the woods around Forest Road and Barker Ten Mile Road but found nothing.  (Sources: Ted Bloecher, CUFOS case files, report dated June 5, 1975; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case # 1974-60, citing Lee Spiegel).

1980 - Shortly after 9 p.m. Betty Cash, age 52, was driving through a pine forest on a rural road near her home in Dayton, Texas with her friend Vickie Landrum, age 57, and Landrum's grandson, six-year-old Colby. They watched as a brilliant diamond-shaped object descended over the road directly in front of them, spitting flames from its underside. Betty Cash slammed on the brakes and brought the car to a halt about 150 feet away from the UFO. They immediately felt an intense heat inside the car and heard a loud roaring sound. They got out of the car and stared at the blinding light and a metallic structure as big as the 200 foot-tall water tower in Dayton. It was shaped like a diamond with a blunt top. The UFO seemed to be struggling to climb above the treetops, and it was emitting blasts of fire and a continuous roar that reminded the women of a shrill welding torch, only much louder. After ten minutes the object rose above the trees, tilted onto one side, and began moving off slowly toward the south. They then saw up to 23 large, Chinook style helicopters show up in the sky, apparently in pursuit of the object.

On the drive home Betty and Colby said they suffered headaches and later nausea, and over the next several days experienced bouts of vomiting, diarrhea, and skin burns. Betty Cash also lost most of her hair, and on January 2, 1981 was admitted to Houston's Parkway General Hospital as a burn patient. She spent four of the next five weeks in the hospital.

Cash and Landrum contacted the state police and nearby military bases, but no one could or would provide them with an explanation. Cash was advised to contact John F. Schuessler, a NASA contractor and employee of McDonnell Douglas Aircraft, who was a project manager for the Space Shuttle Flight Operation, and is now the Director for MUFON. Schuessler and NASA physicist Alan Holt interviewed the witnesses, who took them to the encounter site. Where the UFO came down over the highway the yellow line had swiggled from the melting heat. "A roughly 20-foot circle of the road surface appeared to have melted and then resolidified," said Schuessler. Trees in the vicinity were blackened twenty feet above the ground on the side facing the road.

Schuessler also found five other witnesses who had observed the same or a similar UFO the same night. Another eight witnesses, including a Dayton police officer, claimed to have seen the swarm of helicopters but not the UFO. For the next several years Schuessler tried without success to identify the helicopters and where they came from, but there were unconfirmed rumors that the helicopters came from a Texas Air National Guard base.

Health problems continued to plague Betty Cash, Vicky Landrum and Colby. Cash moved to Birmingham, Alabama where, as Dr. Bryan McClelland said in an interview, "The illness that she suffered after her exposure was an absolute classic radiation injury in which she lost skin and hair, then had diarrhea and vomiting. She could not have made it up. Vicky Landrum has subsequently died. (Sources: John F. Schuessler, MUFON case investigation files; Randy Fitzgerald, Reader's Digest).

1992 -  A woman arriving home from work in a residential area of Chicago, Illinois was confronted by eight faceless men in her parking lot at about 7:00 p.m. They carried hand-held devices like black flashlights. One spoke in a computer-like voice. She developed a blinding headache, and then lost consciousness. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1992, case # 1046, citing Ann B. Livingston).

1994 -  Two witnesses driving in a car at 7:30 p.m. in Plerin, France observed flashing blue lights, occurring successively and changing place. They tried to approach but were stopped by a luminous barrier 1.5 meters above the ground. They also felt a sensation of heat. (Source: French GEIPAN database, case 194).

1994 -  A woman decided to take a short cut home on a dirt road through a wheat field in Lacrosse, Washington at 9:45 p.m.  She had a close encounter with three black, wedge-shaped flying objects, with lights on their leading edge, that passed in front of her car.  The objects were about 20 feet long and emitted strong beams of light. They made a humming sound as they flew along very low and slowly, then turned and flew off to the north. The event frightened her badly. (Sources: Gerald Rowles, MUFON Field Investigations Database, case 950106S;  T. David Spencer, MUFON UFO Journal, June 1996, p. 16).

1996 -  Two men out trapping in the woods in Hartsburg, Missouri at around 7 p.m. witnessed a silent, black triangular object overhead. It had 3-4 white strobe lights, and also blue and red lights. It made no sound. (Source: Francis L. Ridge, UFO Intelligence Newsletter; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 17508).

2005 -  Several large glowing orange balls of light came up from horizon east of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada at around 8:15 p.m. They stopped in the sky, then circled, then dropped from view. A photograph was taken. (Sources: Geoff Dittman, 2005 Canadian UFO Survey, case # 133, citing Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, Seattle).

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 20 December 2007).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database.

Themes: cigar-shaped UFO; diamond-shaped UFO; humming, landing traces; physiological effects: headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, skin burns, loss of hair; roaring sound; sensation of heat; symptoms of acute radiation poisoning, triangle or wedge-shaped UFOs.