On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 January 20

1951 - At 8:26 p.m. the control tower in Sioux City, Iowa warned the Mid-Continental Airlines DC-3 flight to watch for an approaching unidentified aircraft. The crew saw a bright light that quickly closed with them. They saw that it was cigar-shaped with no wings, and it paced their aircraft for a short while before shooting out of sight. (Sources: Project Blue Book files counted in official statistics, January 1951; Edward Ruppelt, Report on Unidentified Flying Objects, p. 118; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence (Volume I), p. 14).

1966 - At 12:30 a.m. a blindingly bright oval-shaped UFO hovered over a car eleven miles west of Katanning, New South Wales, Australia. It made a buzzing sound like swarming bees and caused a temporary paralysis of the four witnesses inside the vehicle. (Sources: Charles Bowen, Flying Saucer Review, September-October 1966, p. 32: Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence (Volume 2): A Thirty Year Report, pp. 198 & 267)

In 1967 in Methuen, Massachusetts three teenaged girls saw a string of red lights moving low to the ground about 500 feet away. As they drove nearer, the object connected with the lights swung around to reveal a trapezoid shape with two red and two white lights and a metallic body. The object was now hovering at 100-300 feet altitude and as it moved to the side of the road, the engine, radio and headlights of the girls' car suddenly failed. The generator light continued to pulse, however. The object abruptly shot away to the southwest at 6:45 p.m. and everything in the car worked normally again. Later that evening another group of three witness observed the same object 15 minutes later. (Sources: Raymond Fowler, UFOs: Interplanetary Visitors, Jericho, NY, 1975, p. 343; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, case 183, citing Fowler).

Methuen, Massachusetts Close Encounter 1967


In 1969, at Weymouth, Massachusetts near an abandoned ammunition depot, an object was sighted which looked like a white dish inverted upon a dish with a dark ring around its perimeter. It had a dome on top and one red and two amber lights on its leading edge. It moved up and down a few times before moving out of sight around 10:30 p.m. (Source: Raymond Fowler, UFOs: Interplanetary Visitors, Jericho, NY, 1975, p. 355).

Weymouth, Massachusetts UFO January 20, 1969


1988 - The four member Knowles family was driving on the Nullabor Plain west of Mundrabilla in Western Australia at around 4:30 a.m. when their car started being paced by a mysterious light. It followed them for nearly 90 minutes. The close encounter took a dramatic turn when the UFO buzzed the car from behind and somehow lifted it from the road. The car was airborne a few feet above the ground for a short period, then was dropped back onto the highway surface, causing the tires to pop. The UFO had a bright yellow light in the center and looked like the sketch below. The "egg-cup" shaped object then flew off. The car had dents and scratches on the roof, and their luggage that had been strapped to the roof was gone. An ash residue was also found inside the car. (Sources: Pat Delgado, FSR, June 1988, p. 1; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence (Volume 2): A Thirty Year Report, pp. 30, 205, 276).

Knowles family 1988 Close Encounter, Nullabor Plain, Western Australia


1993 - At two a.m. a witness in McLarenvale, South Australia reported waking up to a loud humming sound in the house and bright lights. Then he saw a white humanoid figure standing in his bedroom. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1993, case # 1689, citing Tasmanian UFO Report 1994).

1996 - Hildo Lucio Galindo of Jardim Andere, Varginha, Brazil opened his bathroom window at eight o'clock in the morning and caught sight of a short creature with oily brown skin, crouched in a nearby alleyway. It had very small hands with three exceptionally long fingers. It ran away when Hildo cried out. The creature had no hair or clothing and was between four and five feet tall. Later that morning several calls came into the local fire department about a "wild animal" on the loose on the north side of the park. When the fire department arrived they found the military was already on the scene. According to some witnesses a group of children had thrown stones at the strange creature and it made a soft buzzing sound, like a bee. The creature was reported to have been captured by the military and put in a wooden box with a white plastic or canvas cover, and driven away in an Army truck.

Around the same time local residents heard three shots and saw soldiers come out of the woods carrying two campaign sacks. One sack held something motionless, and the other contained something living. Sources said that the soldiers had shot a creature in the chest, killing it instantly. Others saw Army trucks near the woods while still others saw two F-5 jet aircraft fly over the area at low altitude.

Reportedly, a total of eight creatures were reported to have been captured that day. One was dead, two were injured, and five were supposedly taken alive and unhurt. Earlier that same morning, at 1:30 a.m., two farm workers in the same general area had spotted a group of agitated animals running from the area. Upon investigating they saw a metallic gray submarine-shaped object hovering some five meters above the ground. It looked to be trembling like a curtain, and was emitting a smoke or fog. Military witnesses later admitted that this was the object that had later crashed.

In the afternoon at around one p.m. three girls were walking past a plot of vacant land when they spotted another bizarre looking creature. It was only about 80 cm tall, and had brown skin, bulging red eyes, bulging veins, enormous feet, and three protruding lumps on its head. The being was unclothed and its body seemed covered with an oily substance. The girls panicked and ran away to tell others. Soon units of the local fire department arrived and apparently took the creature away. The residents learned of the rumor that a similar creature had been captured earlier. The small creature emitted a strange buzzing like sound. Others saw strange cigar-shaped objects flying low over a field. It was rumored that the military later took the creature to the nearby city of Campinas, Brazil. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1996, cases # 2795 and #2373, citing Ubirajara Franco Rodrigues and Brazilian UFO Report # 6).

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 16 November 2005).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database

Themes: bedroom visitation, cigar, fuselage, or submarine shaped UFOs, disc-shaped UFOs, domed discs, humming sound, military retrieval of live and dead humanoids, multicolored UFOs, multi-year reports from Massachusetts, ovoid UFOs, paralysis, short humanoids with oily skin and red eyes, up-and-down motion, vehicle EM interference effects.