On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 March 5

1946 - Sr. Joao Prestes Filho, age 40, had anticipated an uneventful day of fishing in Aracariguama, Sao Paulo State, Brazil but he returned home at 7:30 p.m., terrified by his encounter with a beam of light that came from the sky and struck him without warning nor any noise. He went into his house saying that he had been hit by a silent beam of light, which stunned him and knocked him to the ground. A little while later his flesh looked like it had been cooked, as if it had been exposed to intense microwave energy, and started a rapid deterioration. He died from the effects.  (Sources: Felipe Machado Carrion, FSR, March-April 1973, p. 14; Jacques Vallee, Confrontations: A Scientist's Search for Alien Contact, p. 124).

1950 - At 1:30 a.m an ex-Air Force officer driving on Highway 80 in Saltsburg, Pennsylvania said he watched a turtle shell-shaped disc hovering at low altitude. The 15 meter wide object kept away from him when the witness attempted to approach it. At 7:00 a.m. on this same date twenty witnesses watched a 25 foot wide, extremely bright UFO maneuver in the sky over Gering, Nebraska. It appeared to change shape as it flew off toward the southeast. In the afternoon a metallic flying disc trailing some kind of ribbon hovered, darted about, and jumped into some clouds over Houston, Texas. It left flying toward the east. That night in Bloomfield, New Mexico a dark, five-foot diameter disc paced a car. When the driver stopped the car the object circled the car, then sped away at a high speed. (Sources: newspaper clippings, March 10, 1950 and March 27, 1950; Loren Gross, UFOs: A History, 1950: January-March, pp. 11, 31-32).

1953 - Two separate UFO radar-visual events occurred at two locations, in northeast Georgia and across the river in South Carolina. An object maneuvered in the sky at 5:07 p.m., then circled Congareee AFB in Sumter County, South Carolina, flying into a prohibited area. An earlier radar-visual sighting of a disc-shaped object was made at the Savannah River (Nuclear) Project. at 3:45 p.m. The sighting lasted for two hours and seven minutes, and RF-80 fighter jets and Air National Guard F-51's were scrambled to intercept. The U.S. Air Force attempted to explain the sightings as a weather balloon. (Sources: Project Blue Book Report #11, report dated May 31, 1953; Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. 1953: March-July, p. 3).

1957 - On this morning at 8:13 a.m. a fighter pilot flying over Rouen, France photographed a hat-shaped saucer identical in appearance to the McMinnville, Oregon photograph taken by Paul Trent in 1950. (Sources: Life Magazine, April 1, 1966; Frank Edwards, Flying Saucers: Here and Now, pp. 46 & 80; Brinsley LePoer Trench, The Flying Saucer Story, p. P-7). 

1965 - On this afternoon two radar technicians were repairing the height finder radar antenna located northeast of Benton Air Force Base near Red Rock, Pennsylvania when a small metallic looking saucer-shaped object landed near them. A beam of light came out of the object and struck both technicians, and that was the last they could remember of the incident. They failed to report to their command post, and a search by both military and civilian police ensued. Sixteen hours later a state trooper found the two men walking on Route 487 in a dazed state. They were taken to a local hospital and found to be dehydrated. Later, trace amounts of alpha radiation were found on their clothing, and unexplained marks were discovered on their necks. One of the men had a brief recollection of encountering strange short creatures, who poked instruments into his eyes, ears, and mouth. (Sources: Larry Hatch, U computer database; Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1965, case # 3376, citing George Filer, Filer's Files, Volume 9, No. 36).

1966 - At 9:00 p.m. a 20 meter in diameter bowl-shaped saucer with a hexagonal cabin hovered over a golf course in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia making a humming sound. It shot away extremely fast. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 7082).

1967 - At 1:25 a.m. in Lovasen, Vilhelmina, Sweden two discs, one 30 meters in diameter and the other 15 meters in diameter, hovered at 20 meters altitude near an electric plant. They flew to the north, slowly at first and then extremely fast, lighting up the surrounding forest. (Source: Axe Jonsson, FSR, March-April 1968, p. 12). 

1967 - Four members of the Carter family were driving together between Pierre and Midland, South Dakota on this night when they were approached at telephone pole height by a V-shaped object with a bright light. It made a humming sound as it passed low over the car and it illuminated the ground with a bright light, and the occupants felt a numbness. It thensped away erratically. (Sources: Rapid City Journal, March 7, 1967; APRO Bulletin, March-April 1967, p. 11; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence: Volume II. A Thirty Year Report, p. 267 & 331).

1967 - At 11:00 p.m. U.S. Air Force security personnel watched as a disc-shaped object descended and hovered over a missile site near Minot AFB, North Dakota. Reported by the guards, other airmen in trucks chased it. It shot up vertically when jets were scrambled. There was radar confirmation of the presence of the object. (Sources: Donald E. Keyhoe, Aliens from Space...The Real Story of Unidentified Flying Objects, p. 10; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence: Volume II. A Thirty Year Report, pp. 80, 331, 372).

1971 - Gilbert Camus, a radio technician, was driving to his shop in Savigny, Jura department, France at 1:10 a.m. He was between Trenal and Condamine when he noticed lights ahead on the right side of the road. As he approached, he saw that these were on a line of eight bluish luminescent rectangles on the ground in a marshy meadow beside the road. Above them he could distinguish, in the moonlight, a flattened hemispherical dome, apparently of dark metal, about 25 feet high and 50 feet wide.

When he got closer to the object he saw three "animals" on all fours climbing up the road bank. Their heads were level with his windshield so they "must have been of great stature." Their heads were shaped like an ant's with "a rounded lobe flanked by two other lobes swelling out like cheeks." He saw no faces. In the meadow he could see about 20 more of these beings, some upright and others on all fours. His car had just passed them when it filled with a bluish white light from behind, as if a "ray" had been projected at him. He lost control of the car, which spontaneously slowed down to about 12 mph, then recovered its initial speed when he reached the outskirts of Condamine. Later, when he took off his clothes he found on his shirt, below the belt line, several golden yellow rectangles about 1" by 2". These disappeared after a few minutes. Three days later similar chocolate brown rectangular marks appeared on his undershirt, and these persisted through 3 or 4 washings.

The paint began to come off his car when he washed it. Most surprisingly, he found himself cured of a liver ailment, which until then had been giving him excruciating headaches. A semi-elliptical imprint was found in the meadow the next day about an inch deep, with a long axis of about 36 feet. Inside the circle dandelions, abundant elsewhere in the meadow were absent, and where it crossed a drainage ditch the ice in the ditch had melted, and the water still seemed warm. At the edge of the woods beside the ground marks a large tree branch was freshly broken off. In the snow were footprints like those of "shoes without heels", some as big as 16" long. (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1971-39, citing M. Tyrode and Fernand Legarde).

1976 - At dusk Mrs. T.  went to her back doorstep in Cheshire, Connecticut to call in the children. When she looked up she saw an object moving slowly at treetop level “a few thousand feet away.” Her husband came out and saw it, two. It had a translucent dome on top and gold lights around its periphery. Above the dome was a deep red flashing light, and there were holes in the bottom out of which a blue light shone. Mr. T. estimated its size as 80 feet in diameter. It descended among some trees in a wetlands area near their home. They watched it for two hours, until 9:30 p.m. The man and his two sons then got in their van and drove to a point closer to the object. They noticed an unnatural silence, but could not get a good view. When they returned home Mrs. T. was missing. After searching the house, they returned to the living room when she suddenly showed up. Her speech was slow and slurred, and she claimed that she had been in the bedroom. At 11:30 p.m. the couple went to bed, but they woke up at 12:45 a.m., finding that they had somehow exchanged positions in bed. Both felt nauseous, and the back door of their house was found to be open. The next day an investigator visited them and discovered three wedge-shaped holes in the ground and broken tree branches where the UFO had evidently landed near the house. A few days later the couple vaguely remembered being taken onboard the craft during the hour before they woke up. The husband clearly recalled “being in a galley area where they were eating. An extraterrestrial was sitting there with his head on his hand looking up at me as if saying, “What are you doing here?” This being had wrinkled whitish gray skin, high cheekbones, a high forehead, and eyes that were three or four times bigger than human eyes; he was also bald. He was looking at the man with an expression of “disdain.” Under hypnosis the wife remembered much more. One kind of alien was about four feet tall, a second group, “the doers”, were about 5.5 feet tall; and a third type with huge eyes and pupils like that of a cat, was 6.6 feet tall. The couple said the beings communicated with them by telepathy, and that they believe that “their minds have been probed by extraterrestrials since the March incident.” (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case # 1976-88 (A1805), citing James Harder, James Barrett & Dick Nycz for CUFOS).

1976 - Miss Rasmussen, a 23-year-old woman in Redmond, Oregon first saw an object high in the sky at 9:25 p.m., which then dropped down to an altitude of only 75 feet. The object was disc-shaped, about 26 feet in diameter, and had red and white lights revolving around its exterior. Two light beams were directed from the object to the ground. The radio in her car went dead when the object came near, and although the woman kept driving, the radio did not work again until two miles down the road. The object did not follow the car. (Sources: CUFOS News Bulletin, June 1976, p. 5; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, p. 68, case 395, citing CUFOS).

1977 - At 11:00 p.m. Lonnie Stites and his wife, Deborah, were driving their pickup truck around a bend in the road in McNatt, Missouri when "the whole area lit up like a football field light was turned on, and a very bright light was shined on our windshield." He saw a man of normal height or slightly smaller stature standing alongside the road. He was human looking, but dressed in green coveralls with square glasses and a tight green cap over his ears. He was "waving us down." Up on the hill was another figure carrying what appeared to be "a ball of electricity about the size of a basketball." The second figure was walking away from an object that looked like a water tank, about 10 feet across and 10 to 15 feet tall, with red lights going around it. The UFO was about 50-60 feet from them. Mrs Stites said that she saw two people on the hillside carrying "basketball sized lights," and that the UFO at one point flew over the truck. They turned the truck around and drove away in great fear. (Sources: St Louis (MO) Post-Dispatch, May 1, 1977; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1977-11, citing Monte Blue Skelton & Bob Pratt).

1992 - A military policeman, Luis Ribeiro de Oliveira and his friend Pedro Rodrigues da Silva, had gone hunting for wild ducks in an isolated area in the Rio Palhano area, Ceara State, Brazil. At 6:30 p.m. both men observed what appeared to be a "star" descending at high speed. Suddenly a bright light enveloped both men and Pedro ran and hid behind some nearby bushes, while Luis ran towards town with the light chasing close behind him. Luis could see that the light now resembled a luminous, wheel-shaped object the size of a bus. Soon he felt he was being sucked up into the object, while his friend Pedro watched in terror as he saw Luis being taken up into the light. Pedro saw Luis enter the round light and then it suddenly vanished in plain view. Terrified but determined to help, Pedro armed himself with a shotgun and searched the area. However, was unable to find Luis anywhere in the area, so he ran to town and entered the local bar, telling everyone what had just happened. 

Five hours later Luis appeared in town and told Pedro what had happened to him after he disappeared. He remembered running and his legs suddenly becoming numb. He then recovered consciousness, hearing strange foreign sounding voices, and when he looked up he saw five strange humanoid beings standing in front of him. Frightened, he asked them in Portuguese what was going on, and he received the following answer: "Don't be afraid, we won't harm you, we are Catadorians from Catandorius Decnius. Our civilization originated from another higher civilization that lived on the earth 353,000 years ago." They pointed to a small pyramid shaped object and told Luis that it was a model of their "temple." The aliens told Luis that they were here on Earth looking for remnants and descendants of that lost civilization that they claimed lived in underground caves and tunnels worldwide. Luis was then placed inside a gas-filled sphere in the middle of the room. In front of him was a panel with multicolored lights, and he heard what sounded like radio transmissions. The five beings stood around him, standing about 1.5 meters (4 feet) tall, and spoke in a strange language. Nevertheless, their leader could communicate with the witness telepathically in perfect Portuguese. Soon the leader left to speak with the other aliens, and Luis lost consciousness again. When he woke up he found himself in the same place that the UFO had originally picked him up from. Feeling a little dizzy, he searched for Pedro and found his shotgun, and then walked back to town. Luis described the humanoids as short with gray skin, black eyes lacking any pupils or eyelashes, large heads, wide shoulders, and they wore tight fitting clothing with boots and gloves. Their heads and bodies were completely hairless. Their speech was measured and their breathing was heavy and labored. Every time their leader spoke to the others Luis felt a sharp pain in his head. All the humanoids were identical to each other; he could not tell any difference among them. (Sources: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 15671, citing UBPDV 1992, issue #6, Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1992, case # 2394,citing UBPDV 1992).

1994 - A radio died inside the house of the witness at 10:50 p.m. in Martigues, Bouches-Rhone department, France when a delta-shaped object oscillated in the sky outside. The object flew on a westerly trajectory. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue 324).

1997 - At eight o'clock in the morning a two-meter long vertical cylinder was spotted landed in a field in San Martino d'Spino, Lombardia, Italy. The craft measured one meter in diameter, had three legs and two portholes. It took off to the west when approached. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 17886, citing Revista Info UFO, Italy).

2004 - Some famous UFO photographs were taken on this day near Mexico City, Mexico. A Mexican military surveillance aircraft captured multiple objects (11) with its infra-red sensors.  The objects were not visible to the flight crew at the time.  There was extensive publicity about this event in May 2004. (Sources: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 18196; Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center website).

2005 - Two football-shaped solid yellow lights passed a car and its driver at close range northeast of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They buzzed the car only four feet away and just six feet off the ground. No sound  was heard or heat felt during the close encounter. (Source: Geoff Dittman, Canadian UFO Survey 2005, case # 17, citing NUFORC).

2006 - A slow moving, chevron-shaped object with brights lights on the underneath of the wings, made no sounds as it passed over Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 9:00 p.m. (Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, Seattle, March 2006 webpage, report uploaded May 15, 2006).

2007 - A hovering saucer-shaped object with yellow lights was reported in the sky over Washington, D.C. at 7:00 p.m. It was approached by a bronze-colored object, triangular or flying wing shaped, which hovered nearby. (Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, Seattle, March 2007 webpage, report uploaded March 8, 2007).

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 23 October 2009).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database.

Themes: abductions; death associated with UFO beam of energy; disc-shaped UFOs; domed discs; green uniforms; Grey UFOnauts; human-looking UFOnauts; landings with landing traces; levitation; non-humanoid alien creatures with ant-like heads; physiological effects: deep tissue burns and death, numbness, paralysis; photographs of domed discs; radar-visual confirmation; radio RF interference; unnatural silence ("Oz effect").

© Donald A. Johnson