Skip to main content.

UFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Number 5
March 18, 1996
Editor: Joseph Trainor

Greetings, gang! You'd better put on some asbestos gloves before touching the keyboard. This week's news is sizzling hot!


A major UFO flap has erupted around the Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Between March 3 and March 17, residents of Hay River, a town of 3,268 people on the south shore of the frozen lake, have been seeing UFOs every night. The objects are described as bright lights colored red, white, yellow and blue or as "two wash basins, one inverted on top of another, colored gray, with a blinking red or blue light."

When they appear, the UFOs are seen about one to one-and-a-half miles out on the lake. They either hover over the ice or set down briefly upon it. Hovering "inverted wash basin" UFOs have also aimed bright spotlights at isolated cabins along the Hay River. A caribou hunter is said to have filmed seven minutes of videotape showing the UFO, but this tape was reportedly confiscated by the Canadian Forces, which are based at Fort Resolution, NWT.

Trout Lake is a small village south of the Mackenzie River and 230 miles west of Hay River. For two days straight--Saturday, February 24, and Sunday, February 25, 1996, the village was visited by a hovering UFO. One trapper, Robert W. Collin, of Trout Lake shot several photographs of the object with a 35mm camera. As I write this, Bob is at his fishing camp with a borrowed videocam, waiting for the UFO to return. He hopes to shoot some excellent footage of the mysterious vehicle.

Bob was on the lake shore when the UFO appeared. He said it was about 1,500 yards away from him, hovering above frozen Trout Lake, and he described it as "a bowl-shaped object with different lights on the side." Bob and his companion had the UFO in view from 10:30 to 11:00 p.m.

According to the Alberta UFO Research Group, flying objects have been sighted around the Great Slave Lake all winter. On January 17, 1996, Constable Bryan Wentzell of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) spotted a UFO descending toward the West Channel of the Hay River. Wentzell saw "a bright white light" coming down "at a steep angle." He estimated that it was about one mile out on the ice. He reported that the UFO "seemed to be falling apart in mid-air," but then the pieces came back together again.

Wentzell mounted his Bombardier snowmobile, intent on going out on the ice to investigate. However, when he turned the ignition key, the snowmobile's engine refused to start. The battery had mysteriously lost all of its electrical power. Only when it was replaced with a new battery was the Bombardier able to start.

Two months earlier, on November 17, 1995, a Native American trapper, Leo Norwegian, and his eight-year-old son were driving home on Highway 1 from Fort Simpson, NWT, when they spotted a UFO pacing their car. Leo is a tribal elder of the Liidli Ke people, indigenous to the Northwest Territories. At first Leo thought it was the red light on a radio mast. But as they drove onto a bluff overlooking the Mackenzie River, they saw an inverted wash-basin UFO, with an array of blinking lights, floating in the sky over the snow-covered valley. The UFO's lights repeatedly changed color, shifting from red to blue and back again to red. They watched it for two or three minutes, and then the UFO zipped away, heading east toward the Great Slave Lake. Leo said the object moved "at incredible speed," leaving a faint white trail behind it.

This was Leo Norwegian's second UFO encounter. On December 31, 1968, just after the Apollo 8 spaceflight, he saw a similar UFO hovering above his cabin at Williams Lake, just outside Fort Simpson.

UFO ROUNDUP will be there to give you complete coverage of this still-breaking news story, just as soon as more information becomes available.


On Sunday night, March 17, 1996, the Learning Channel aired a special one-hour broadcast called "Incident at Roswell." Many Roswell eyewitnesses were interviewed, including Frank Kaufman, who had a most interesting tale the tell.

During World War II, Kaufman was assigned to the Counter-Intelligence Corps (CIC). The Army put him through specialized training designed to turn him into a competent aviation mechanic and then "planted" him at the new Roswell air base in 1943.

Why? Well, according to Kaufman, while facilities for the Manhattan Project, i.e. the atomic bomb, were being constructed, Army radar stations in Albuquerque, Los Alamos and Alamogordo regularly picked up unidentified blips on their screens. These radar contacts began in 1942 and continued right up to the Roswell incident. Kaufman said the UFOs "would hover two or three thousand feet in the air and then drop like a stone, zip, right off the screen."

Concerned about the threat to the Manhattan Project, the Army placed several CIC agents at the Roswell base. When the report of a crashed UFO came from Brigardier General Martin Scanlan on July 4, 1947, Kaufman and his team of agents went out to the crash site, which he described as "very rough country, no roads at all." They found the UFO, shaped like a man's shoe heel, crashed into the wall of an arroyo. The vehicle was split open, and the team found four dead aliens...and one that was still alive!

Kaufman said the UFO was loaded onto a flatbed truck, brought back to the base, and stored in Hangar 84, which had an armed M.P. platoon all around it. The four dead aliens were laid out on a tarpaulin before the ambulance took them to the base hospital for the autopsy.

Apparently, there's a lot of information about UFOs in the U.S. during World War II and the Army Air Corps response to the threat that remains locked away in the Top Secret file cabinets.


On August 27, 1995, Tim Edwards stepped out of his restaurant in Salida, Colorado and spied a flattened white disk hovering in the sky. He got out his videocam and shot several minutes of superb UFO footage. The video has been described as "authentic" by Village Labs, a video analysis firm in Glendale, Arizona.

Now others have come forward and claimed to have seen the same UFO in their community on August 27. In Deming, New Mexico, passengers on a Greyhound bus looked out their windows and saw the white disk pacing them.

At 8:40 a.m. on August 27, a white oblong object appeared in the eastern sky of Sacramento, California. The morning sun glimmered off its metallic surface. It moved leisurely back and forth in the sky for about ten minutes. During this time, approximately 20 cars pulled off the highway on Interstate 80, and the motorists got out to have a better view of the strange object. Then it darted away toward the eastern horizon.

Later that morning, at 11:30 a.m., three more residents of Sacramento reported seeing the same UFO near the freeway, just above the Watts Avenue exit. Channel 3 TV reportedly aired video footage of the UFO on its 6 p.m. newscast August 27. For more details on the Sacramento/Salida UFO, email


Here's a Golden Oldie sighting from 1450 B.C. A UFO hovered over the court of Pharoah Thutmosis III. Here's a translation of the hieroglyphic text: "In the year 22 (of the Pharoah's reign), of the third month of winter, sixth hour of the day, the scribes of the House of Life found that there was a circle of fire coming from the sky. It had no head. From its mouth came a breath that stank. One rod long was its body and a rod wide, and it was noiseless. And the hearts of the scribes became terrified and confused, and they laid themselves flat on their bellies. They reported to the Pharoah...Now after some days had gone by, behold, these things became more numerous in the skies than ever. They shone more than the brightness of the sun, and extended to the limits of the four supports of the heavens. Dominating in the sky was the station of these fire circles. The army of Pharoah looked on with him in their midst. Thereupon the fire circles ascended higher in the sky towards the south. Fishes and winged animals or birds fell down from the sky. A marvel never before known since the foundation of this land! And Pharoah caused incense to be brought to make peace on earth...And what happened was ordered by Pharoah to be written in the annals of the House of that it be remembered forever."

Keep a sharp eye out for Comet Hyakutake! It'll be brightest on March 24, 1996.
See you next week.