Skip to main content.

UFO Sighting Report - Canada

Summer 1974 : Near Lillooet, British Columbia

Near Lillooet, British Columbia A Orange Light At Eye Level With Eyewitness

Date: Summer 1974
Time: Night.

Location of Sighting: Near Lillooet British Columbia.
Number of witnesses: 1
Number of objects: 1
Shape of objects: Yellow/orange light.

Full Description of event/sighting: Hi Brian Recently so many people have been writing about strange orange lights. I thought I would add my experience.

This was the summer of 1974, but I'm not sure of the month. My husband, myself and our one year old daughter had been visiting relatives in the Vancouver area. We were starting, in our truck and camper, the long, long drive back to Whitehorse in the Yukon. We decided to drive the road that passes through Whistler and eventually comes out in Lillooet rather than go the route through the Fraser Valley and Canyon. We'd never gone this way before and didn't have a map. We didn't really need one as there are not many roads in this part of the Province. The sky was blue and the sun was shining and we were quite enjoying the trip. However when we reached Mt Currie we did not notice the gravel logging road branching off to the right. Today the road is paved and well marked with signs. Back then there was nothing to indicate that this is where we should have turned.

Therefore we continued north for several miles until we came to the western end of long, narrow Anderson Lake. A combination of mis-information from a young boy, four other lost drivers, two motor bikes and our own determination eventually had us leading a convoy on an impossible road high above the lake. We soon pulled ahead and we were on our own . We never saw the others again.

The sun was close to setting and we were lost on a road so narrow and twisting there way no way to turn around. We didn't even know if it was the right road. I kept watching the shadows rise on the mountains across the lake and wondering if we would be off the mountain before dark. Apart from a mild concern about wondering where we were, it was a spectacular and exciting drive. But every time I looked towards the mountains across from us I had a sense of "something" over there being not quite right. It made me very uneasy. I didn't say anything to my husband as he needed his total concentration for the difficult drive. Eventually, just before darkness, we did come off of the mountain, passed through a tunnel and joined another gravel road that we realized was heading towards Lillooet. In the twilight we started looking for a place to camp for the night. After a few miles we found one and my very tired husband started to set up the camper. I was becoming more and more uneasy. That surprised me as we were no longer lost and we had parked in a perfectly good place for the night. I kept looking back towards the direction we had come from. I wanted us farther away. Much to my surprise when I told my husband I didn't want to stay there, he made no objection and asked no questions, just got back in the truck and continued driving down the road. After several miles we found another clearing well off the road and stopped for the night.

This is a very isolated area. The valley is quite narrow with tall mountains on both sides and an unseen river down a very steep drop on the opposite side of the valley. There were no houses or side roads, nothing for many miles in both directions. There were scattered pine trees but little underbrush as this is a semi-arid region. By the time we pulled in it was dark so we did not see much of our surroundings. I was still feeling a bit uneasy but tried to ignore it. I knew we had to stop and get some rest.

Before long we were settled for the night. Sometime later I suddenly awoke. My child and husband were both sleeping soundly but I was feeling very alert. I pulled back the covering from the tiny window by my head and looked outside. The night was clear and very quiet. I could faintly see the outline of the mountain tops against the starlight. Everything else was black. All at once there was an orange light right in front of me at almost eye level. At first it was still, then it started to slowly move back and forth. In the dark I had no perspective. It might have been a small light close by or a much larger one farther away. Although it was quite bright it did not reflect on anything around it. There was no sound, not even the ordinary night sounds of the desert. I lay staring, trying to find a rational explanation. The movement I concluded was similar to a person walking along a road and carrying an orange lantern. That did not make me feel any better as I knew there were no houses within miles and nowhere to be coming from or going to.

I thought I'd better tell my husband so I gave him a shake. He didn't wake up. More shoving, whispering, poking and pinching could not get him awake. Normally he is a very light sleeper but this night I never did manage to awaken him. Almost in tears of fear and frustration I looked back out the window. The light was still there, still moving ,although it had moved sideways a short distance. Then it was gone. In some ways that was as disturbing as when I could see it. I don't know if I had watched the light for five minutes or half an hour. I don't remember anything else of the night, although I can't imagine my going back to sleep when everything was so frightening. But I don't remember staying awake either.

My next memory is morning and getting the camper ready to go. I was still very frightened. I looked back out the window from where I'd seen the light and realized that it was unlikely to have been a person carrying a light, unless the person was about 12 feet tall!

My husband then decided this was a great time and place to do engine work on the truck. I was still so uneasy that I would not leave the side of the truck, not even to pick some Saskatoon berries just a few feet away. I stayed right beside the passenger door. I certainly wasn't going all the way back (about 8 feet) to the door of the camper! My daughter was in my arms the whole time. I was too scared to even put her on a blanket at my feet. My fear was totally irrational, confusing and strong.

Eventually we were on the road again and it was with growing relief that I headed away from my memory of "something" on a mountain and a strange orange light.

I will probably never know just what was going on in that region. But I do know I didn't like it!

Glad to see you are back with us. Hope all our tests turn out OK.

Brian Vike, Director HBCC UFO Research.
The Vike Report Blog:

Just added, the Vike Report Radio Show Blog. You can check the blog out for archived radio shows and all the new and upcoming programs I do.

HBCC UFO Research, Box 1091 Houston, British Columbia, Canada - VOJ 1ZO

[UFOINFO thanks Brian Vike for passing this report on.]