Summer 1954

Near Finleyville, Pennsylvania Two Massive Football Size Objects

Date: Summer 1954
Time: 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.

Number of witnesses: 150
Number of objects: 2
Shape of objects: More football than cigar shaped.

Full Description of event/sighting: I was 8 years old and in the company of both parents and an aunt and uncle. Motor trips into the country were frequent, so I must assume that the event occurred on a weekend. The area was not developed back then with malls and housing developments.

We were inside a makeshift structure on an expanse of land, probably farm land, in which there were various vendors selling all manner of goods inside crude stall-like cubicles. My mother had purchased a necklace for me, when we returned outside and found dozens of people staring up at the bright blue sky full of fluffy white clouds. They seemed so close, that you could almost reach out and touch them. As a child, I would have no sense of distance from the ground.

The two massive football size objects were rimless, windowless, seamless, and had no writing or any indication of a door. Both glowed with a strange neon-like orange glow, and one object was slightly in front of the other. I had never heard of UFOs and stared up with the same curiosity as anyone else. We stood that way a long time when the object in front, it seemed to be fading. Indeed, after a time, it had a ghost-like appearance, and the orange had muted. The object behind the first remained the same.

I could begin to see the blue of the sky and white clouds in the outline of the first object. As we watched all trace of this physical object disappeared entirely from view, as though it had simply melted away.

I knew, even then, without understanding physics, that material objects just don't disappear. The glowing object behind never altered in shape or position. My Uncle insisted that we leave, but I longed to stay on. I have no idea why it was important to stay, but I did not want to leave. The family crowded into the car and it started up normally. I climbed up on the back seat of the car and stared out the back window while on my knees until the orange glowing light became more and more distant and the twilight descended. We must have viewed these objects a long time, because it had been bright and warm when we first stepped outside of the structure, and by the time we traveled down the road some distance, the purple hues of evening were collecting. There were no street lights or lamp posts on highways back then, so I could see, the area being expansive, empty and flat, that tiny glow in the sky until that was all there was left.

Long after, years after, this sighting always haunted me. How might anything material and as truly massive as what I witnessed simply disappear? And more than that, what happened to those who stayed to watch the second object? Did I miss anything?? Why with the innocence of a child did I truly long to remain? I am not a UFO researcher as a result of the experience or have any profound knowledge, but I think I may have watched something traveling through dimensions, which was why it slowly disappeared without moving an inch. And I wonder who remembers this incident. Where there other children there that day who are haunted by this experience as I am. Are any adults, elderly thought they may be, alive to talk about it? And do any of them know, what I may never know, because my family drove away?

Thank you to the witness for the interesting report.

Brian Vike, Director
HBCC UFO Research


Site Map | Home | Sightings Index | USA Sightings | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/usa/54summer.shtml