AUFORN Reports

Compiled Sighting Reports

Issue 20
February 2001

Compiled by Robert Frola
Australian UFO Research Network
PO Box 738 Beaudesert QLD 4285


(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00377b)
Mr. Dare Taylor witnessed a 'huge orange Moon sized object loosing altitude as if to almost land in farming country'. He said this sighting was reported in local Newspapers at the time, so must have been witnessed by others. Mike Farrell UFOR(NSW)

1967 nr DAMPIER, WA (CE1)
(Source: JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE REALITIES, The Australasian Society for Psychical Research Inc, Volume 8, Issue 1, 2000)
Mr Herbig, a retired mining engineer, related an incident from 1967. He and three colleagues were near Dampier in north-west WA (then King Bay), when a huge, bright, white, moon-shaped object came in from the ocean to the west and stopped over them for a while. It then flew back from where it came from. No sound was heard.

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00218)
A 100 foot long by 15-18 foot diameter, bullet shaped, aluminium coloured object was sighted by the witness. The end of the object was flat. The surface had some writing on it, including what appeared to be a V and an H. The object was hovering silently over powerlines near a park. The object had a retractable arm on it. This arm retracted into itself.

After an unspecified period of time, the object seen from an unspecified distance moved upwards to point vertically. The body and nose of the object rotated counter to each other, spinning the whole time.

The nose cone and body contra rotated really quickly. A white hazy glow surrounded the object at this point. It then moved off upwards. Its speed increased and it was eventually lost to view as a dot in the sky.

Terry advised that he was happy to write down his knowledge of the incident and forward it to me. I provided my postal address. Keith Basterfield (Independent Investigator)

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00379b)
At Barlow Park , Cairns Qld, Mr Burgess observed a similar silver white star like light moving at very high speed across the sky which did a 90 degree turn in flight, the object the came toward him at high altitude then moved away out of his viewin the distance. Russell Boundy UFOR(FNQ)

29.05.99 COFFS HARBOUR, NSW 0010-0030hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00376)
Mc Auley's Headland overlooking Diggers Beach Coffs Harbour. N.S.W. Saturday 29th. May 1999 between 12.10 - 12.30am.

Mrs Cheryl was closing the bedroom window when she noticed an orange light appear over the headland on the beach front. While she was watching, a second, then a third similar orange light appeared. This triangle formation slowly moved south towards Coffs Harbour and remained parallel to the coast until out of sight. Constant altitude and slow steady speed while maintaining the same formation had her puzzled, especially since there was no sound.

A couple of minutes later, another triangle formation of three orange lights came over the headland. and headed in the same direction as the first three.

Than just before 12.30am, another four orange lights appeared from the same area over the headland. The fourth light lagged behind the others.

From her high viewing position, she says that they were definitely not launched from the beach or headland, they originated out to sea some distance from land.

Next morning, she rang the Police and Radio station who both had not received any other calls about the objects, and did not wish to pursue the event. Mrs. R then contacted the local Advocate newspaper and convoyed her sighting to the journalist. No media report was forth coming.

Two weeks later, the Campbell town (Sydney) Television News story was aired showing a formation of similar orange objects caught on video by a local resident.

Mrs. R commented, after reading about the recent six fishermen videoing an orange object off Coffs Harbour, that quote; 'It may be fishermen letting them off from trawlers out to sea, and took video of them as a joke'. end quote. Mike Farrell UFOR(NSW)

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00187)
Day: Sunday
Location:Ferntree Gully
Observation: 6 amber coloured lights moving in a westerly direction the lights each appeared as large and as bright as a large star.
Weather Conditions: - Clear sky, no precipitation.
Witness: 1

Witness states that she has never seen anything like this before and has no opinion as to what it could be. Jason Groves WUFORS

JULY 1999 YULARA, NT 1745hrs (CE1)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian UFO Research Society December 1999)
An observer reported an oval shaped object, the colour was bright white. It sped from west to east. The size was of a small car. The speed was faster that anything the witness had ever observed. The experience left the witness scared. Keith Douglass AUFORN NT

20.07.99 SAWTELL, NSW 2150hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00377a)
Viewed from Sawtell (south of Coffs Harbour) N.S.W. Tuesday 20th. July 1999. 9.50pm.

Mr. Dare Taylor and his wife were driving home on the Pacific Highway, when they noticed two orange/yellow lights approaching them at what appeared to be fairly low altitude and heading S.W.

When almost directly overhead, they noticed that they were slowly 'pulsing'. Suddenly, the two objects changed direction sharply towards the east. When they turned, their slow speed dramatically increased, as 'they quickly gained altitude to a great height, faster than a jet', stated Mr. Taylor. As they were speeding off, they appeared to fade on-and-off or 'pulse' even faster. Mike Farrell UFOR(NSW)

(Source: Tony Cook, VUFORS 20.10.99)
Over the last two and a half months, i have experienced two sightings on the gold coast and would like to communicate with others either here or elsewhere who may have seen the same thing.

The first sighting occured about two and a half months at about 10.15pm on a sunday night. i was on my front patio grabbing some fresh air, which faces an easterley direction, when a bright orange light caught my attention, coming out of the south. it appeared to be travelling at about 200-250 km's an hr., at an elevation of approx 3000-4000 ft.

At first i thought it was an aircraft on fire, but as it got closer it appeared to be a round shape, with no discernible fueslage, no cabin lights, no nav lights, no rotors of any kind, and the colour was an incredibly bright orange, so bright in fact, that it reflected off the cloud bank directly behind it. also i must stress that there was no sound whatsover from the 'craft' and also that it was a very quiet night with no wind. the area i live in is a very quiet residential suburb.

It continued in a northerly direction until it became obvious that it was slowing down and in fact, it came to a complete stop. there was no hovering or sideways motion at this point as a helicopter might do, it stopped at a precise point and stayed there for about four or five minutes before it slowly took off again in a northerly direction and eventually disappeared.

The second sighting occurred about three weeks ago. iwas sitting in my lounge room watching t.v. when i happened to look out my window, which faces a northerley direction, and coming out of the northern sky was an incredibly bright light, travellin at a speed a lot faster than the original object and a lot brighter.

I called out to my wife, 'it's back again', and we both ran out onto the front porch as the object came closer. as we both watched, the object slowed down and came to a complete stop in the sky, at a point very close to where the first object had stopped. the object seemed to be a lot closer than the first sighting, and again , the light was incredibly bright, this time however, it actually appeared to be a type of flame and actually appeared to be moving around the craft as a flame might move around in a light wind.

Unfortunately it came to a stop in such a position that a tree in my front yard stopped me getting a photograph of it. again, it stopped for about four minutes, and waiting for it to move again, camera at the ready, we both observed it start to move very slowly, but unfortunately in a northerly direction. by the time i ran downstairs and out into the street, the object had dimmed greatly and even though i took a photo i doubt it would reveal anything.

As we both watched it move off into the northern sky, we were both amazed to see something fall off the craft, or possibly thrown out, which fell to earth at terminal speed and definitely appeared to be on fire. there were definitely flames and apparent burning debris coming from the falling object, and kept burning until it got closer to the surface, when it appeared to be extinguished. it definitely would have been over open ocean by this stage, somewhere north of Surfer's and possibly near North Stradbroke or Moreton island.

Hope to hear from you , all the best, Lee gorring. Robert Frola AUFORN

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00379c)
At Port Douglas QLD, Mr Burgess observed a high altitude bright light with a silver glow moving about the speed of an aircraft in an arc trajectory across the sky, the object was flashing very brightly and he first assumed this was an aircraft. As it moved across the sky the glow appeared to become much brighter, it just disappeared from view "like being switched off".

The possibility of this object being a satellite seems highly likely. Russell Boundy UFOR(FNQ)

24.08.99 ATHELSTONE, SA 1204hrs (DO)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00285)
As I have been unwell, this call was followed up by Colin Paule, of Athelstone SA on my behalf. I wish to thank Colin for conducting an indepth interview with the witness. The young man concerned had a very long list of unusual incidents going back to age 7. These were documented by Colin in a set of interview notes. The incidents are too complex and too numerous to be detailed here, so a set of Colin's interview notes have been snail mailed to the Hotline. Keith Basterfield & Colin Paule (Independent Investigators)

30.08.99 ADELAIDE (PAYNEHAM), SA 2000-2030hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00291)
Tony was outside when he noticed a red light, in the western sky, which was travelling to the south. Over a 5 minute period, the steady brightness light, moved up and down, hovered at times, dropped occasionally as it moved across the sky. It was fiannly lost to sight when it went behind trees. There was no noise. Keith Basterfield (Independent Investigator)

31.08.99 MELBOURNE (RESERVOIR), VIC 2230hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00293)
Mr. Murphy was on Cuthbert Rd in Reservoir looking away from the Melbourne CBD. Sky was clear at the time.

Witness caught a brief glimpse (a few seconds) of what he described as a "green cigar - lit from within" before the object disappeared behind trees. By the time the wittness had moved to view the object again, it could not be found in the sky.

The object was thought to be travelling from the direction of Broadmeadows/Cambellfield towards Greensborough. Tony Cook (VUFORS)

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00309)
Beverly said :
"My son (20) came inside and said 'Come and have a look at this' so Beverly (48) and her other son (22) and husband (52) went outside to see two bright glowing yellow balls of light about the size of a golf ball at arms length and about 12 inches apart at arms length moving across the night sky directly above our house."
The objects made no noise, at one stage a smaller light moved of at right angles from one of the larger objects, and one picked up speed in relation to the other one. Beverly said the lights were perhaps a little higher than cloud level? but could not be sure how high they were. She went inside to ring Parafield airport to see if they had any explanation but they said they were probably balloons, (typical) she said if that were the case then how come one of them had a light shoot out from it? When she came outside after ringing the airport the objects were gone.

Beverly lives near the Parafield airport and is quite used to seeing all sorts of planes, but said the objects did not have any navigational lights just they were just a bright glowing yellow.

She also rang Colin Norris (AIUFOFSR) and he said that he had received another report from a gentleman on Monday night of the same description. Peter Johnson AUFORN(SA)

18.09.99 ADELAIDE (ELIZABETH EAST), SA 0445hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00326)
Place - Elizabeth East - Adelaide
Time first noticed - 4:45am
Time last seen - 5:45 - 6:00
Direction of object when first seen - N.W.
Angle above the horizon - 40 degrees
Size at arms length - head of a 4" nail (4-5 millimetres)
Colour - Pale yellow .
Description - Ball of light with a shaft of light going straight down.

Mr and Mrs Campster were leaving the Gaming room at Elizabeth East when they noticed a bright light in the N.W. sky which moved overhead slowly, and was still there when they got home 20 minutes later. They looked at it with binoculars and said it appeared to have a shaft of light coming straight down from it. It was still there about 1 hour later. They said they were not drunk.

Conclusion: I suggested that it may have been Venus as it has been rising at about that time in the morning, I have seen it , as I was doing security watch at the local field days with the State Emergency Service last week and was still awake at 5:00am (sort of)

Mrs Campster was adamant that it wasn't there this morning. I asked her to look for the morning star in the same position at the same time and just see if it looks the same as what she saw, I gave her my number and she said she would ring me and tell me if that is what she saw.

I had to ask my self, why do they go to a gaming room so often during the week and stay so late? That may not have anything to do with what they said they saw. Peter Johnson AUFORN(SA)

18.09.99 ADELAIDE, SA 2350hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00313)
Guss was walking southwards in the central business district of Adelaide when he caught sight of a brilliant (brighter than Venus) steady, orange coloured light in the sky. He had to tilt his neck to follow its path, as over 5 minutes it travelled northwards. It wavered as it travelled. At one stage a small orange spark fell away from the main light and quickly went out. The light gradually dimmed as it travelled northwards. It was noiseless, and below clouds. Keith Basterfield (Independent Investigator)

18.09.99 Oakleigh, VIC Evening (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00312)
Margaret reported that she was leaving the drive through of a fast food outlet in Dandenong Road Oakleigh and noticed a large light towards the North. At first, she thought it to be a landing light of an aircraft, however it became apparent that is was not due to the high speed at which the light passed from the North to the South with the light visible at all times. Margaret thought the colour to be aqua but believes this colouring may be due to the window tinting of her car. Tony Cook VUFORS

19.09.99 BORONIA, VIC 1945hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00315)
Shape: No clear shape Star Like
Size: 5 cent piece
Objects: 3
Colour: Dull orange
Sound: None
Speed: Faster than a plane
Duration: 1 minute or so.
Witnesses: 1
Christen said she was walking her dog on Sunday evening when she saw 3 strange looking lights in the sky. At first she thought they were stars but they were in a V formation travelling in a north-easterl direction. I was scared of what i saw and went straight home. That's when I called 013 and they gave me your number.

These objects things moved apart then they moved back together then they formed a perfect V formation. and traveled away getting smaller.

(Q) Do you think they could have been the RAAF or some kind of plane?
(A) "No" I have lived here for quite a while and have never seen planes with those kind of lights before. Any way when they went away they formed a straight line and faded off in the distance. Diane Harrison AUFORN

19.09.99 BAYSWATER (MULGRAVE), VIC 2030hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00321)
Shape: No clear shape Star-like
Size: 50 cent piece
Colour: Dull orange
Objects: 3
Sound: None
Speed: Slight movement
Duration: 4 minute
Witnesses: 4
Reportee: Fabian T & Girl friend

Fabian said: "I walked outside to get into my car when this guy yelled out to me to have a look at these strange lights in the sky. 'Hey what the hell are they!' We stood and watched them. They were big, they just hung in the sky . One object would move away from the other then it would move back to the other 2 objects. They did this for around 4 to 5 minutes then they formed a V formation and faded out one at a time.

I tell you we were all scared. It was as though it was watching us. I got in my car and took off home and I tell you I don't scare easily."

(Q) Do you think it could have been a plane or garbage bag balloons?
(A) "No way! I know the bag trick and these things were definitely not them or a plane. It just stood still in the sky the size of a 50 cent piece."

Objects were travelling in a north-easterly direction. Diane Harrison AUFORN

(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian UFO Research Society December 1999)
Weather Conditions: Clear sky, no wind.
Temperature: Moderate
Visibility: Unrestricted.

Witness M was travelling in a westerly direction along the Wonthaggi/Inverlock Road towards the township at approx. 2100 hrs. At about 2kms from Inverlock M's attention was drawn to a sudden flash of blue light, such as that emitted by a flash on a camera. The intensity was described as extremely brilliant and appeared to be only about 1km away to the West ahead of her vehicle at about 30 degrees above the horizon and about 3000feet. She stood beside her car for no more than about 5 seconds after which time a single flash of light appeared again approximately 2 kms to the back of her in a northerly direction.

Seconds later it reappeared in the southeast about half a kilometre from her location at a lower altitude. This incident was also witnessed by four other people. The size of the object compared with that of a medium four-door sedan. No other specifications could be noted due to darkness.

No side effects were noted either during or after the episode with the exception of the mobile phone, which "dropped out" and disconnected from the network.

In view of what you have heard/read of this brief account, one can only be impressed with the speed at which this object moved during the entire observation. Though accurate details are rare in this report, I was to find out this was only the beginning of a larger scenario about to develop over the coming weeks. John Thompson, South Eastern Representative, VUFORS

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00---)
Day: Friday
Time of Observation: 9.55pm
Location: Laverton Pointcook
Shape: No clear shape
Size: 50 cent piece
Objects: 1
Colour: Dull orange
Sound: None
Speed: Faster than a plane
Duration: 3 minutes or more
Witnesses: 4
Reportees: Kerry , 2 chefs 1 security officer

Kerry stated: "I had just finished work and was walking to my car when one of the chefs I work with called out to me to look up.

This was when l saw what he was looking at. It was this huge orange ball of light. It was very high up - the size of a 50cent piece at arms length I guess.

The chef I worked with that night called out to the security guard to come outside and have a look at the object. He came out with another chef and we all watched this thing. I didn't know what it was and they didn't.

We all watched it and I tell you I thought I was scared but the guys stood there trying to work out whether to run back inside. "Big brave men" - ha! I have be honest I just wanted to hide, but the funny thing about it all - we didn't move from the spot".

(Q) Could it have been one of the RAAF planes?
Kerry stated: "Hell no! We all watched it and tried to figure out what the hell it was. We all figured out what it wasn't (it was NO plane). We all work out near the Laverton RAAF base and we see their planes coming and going all the time (so we do know our planes).

We did observe a plane fly under the object, the plane looked quite small. The pilot of that plane must have seen the object I'm sure. When I got home I called the police but they hadn't had any calls but they informed me I could call your hotline so I did.

Can you tell me what we saw because it scared the hell out of us.". Robert Frola AUFORN

25.09.99 WANGARATTA, VIC Evening (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00322)
Carl had been away for the week-end doing the Gipsy Caravan, when they happened to observe an object in the sky. Fortunately, a video camera was at hand and about 10 to 15 minutes of footage was taken.

Paul Norman visited Carl yesterday and viewed the tape. The sighting occurred on Saturday night 25/9 near Wangaratta in NW Victoria. The tape shows a light with strobes attached. The object is at a considerable distance from the observers.

Our thinking at this time is that the Goodyear Lightship was present at the AFL Grand Final during Saturday 25/9 and also appeared at the ARL Grand Final in Sydney during Sunday 26/9.

Therefore, the Lightship must have travelled from Melbourne to Sydney during the night of Saturday 25/9. (I have not yet been able to confirm this with the Lightship operators)

This could account for this sighting. Tony Cook VUFORS

26.09.99 ADELAIDE (NORTH PLYMPTON), SA 2100hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00321)
Robert was outside looking at the night sky when he noticed an object "as high up as a star." It was in the SW sky, "going round in right hand circles." It flashed quickly several times, stopped flashing, then flashed again 2 or 3 times. After about 2 minutes, he then went inside his house to fetch his wife Lisa, who came out. She also saw the same light.

Whereas Robert thought the colour of the light was white, Lisa felt that it was orange. They watched it for some 5 minutes, then both went inside to fetch their daughter. However, when the 3 of them returned outdoors the light had gone. Keith Basterfield (Independent Investigator)

01.10.99 ADELAIDE, SA 0200hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00349)
Location - Gray St, Adelaide. City centre.
Direction - Looking East
Angle - 45 degrees
Duration - 6 seconds
Witness - one
Size at arms length - index fingers fingernail

"My friend Jeff and I were walking down Gray St in the city after leaving a night club. When I noticed a shooting star at about 45 degrees to the horizon travelling down to about 30 degrees above the horizon and it just stopped (sounds familiar PJ). Then it travelled in a triangular pattern very fast and stopped again. A white light shot up to the first object, which I could see was disc shaped, and then the disc did a series of loops very fast and shot off at incredible speed."

Robert said that when he first saw the disc it was travelling at the speed of a meteor and when it took off it was going at approximately 4 times that speed.

I asked him if he thought that it could have been man-made and he said "Well I know that technology is fairly good these days but I don't think that anyone would survive the G-forces involved in the manoeuvres that this object made".

Oz Factor: Robert said that at the time of the sighting he "felt weird - like this isn't happening".

Robert is at present unemployed and 37. Jeff is a company director and 48. Peter Johnson AUFORN SA

10.10.99 INVERLOCK, VIC 2030hrs (NL)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian UFO Research Society December 1999)
Weather Conditions: Clear sky. No wind.
Temperature: Moderate
Visibility: Unrestricted.

In this instance, witness M as in the last report was again travelling in a Westerly direction along the Wonthaggi/Inverlock road at approximately 2030hrs. When again she noticed a single flash of light in the distance in front of her. Once again she pulled her car to the side of the road and proceeded to use her mobile phone to ring her boyfriend back home only a few kms away. Within a few minutes, he had arrived with a friend. They all met and watched in amazement, the flashing of blue light. The incident was very similar to her first report with the light switching on and off in seconds and appearing rapidly in another location.

The most significant point was that at one stage the car was bathed in blue light from behind, which indicates the light was considerably close, as M's car has extremely dark tinted windows to reduce the summer sun glare. The duration of the incident was several minutes and was observed by several witnesses and eventually ended with the light just going out. There were no side effects, no EM effects relating to the cars at any time, but again the mobile phone cut out while initially calling her boyfriend, but one must allow for the unpredictability of mobile phones. Unfortunately, dimensions of the craft could not be ascertained in both instances and the tell-tale flashing of a blue light was the only identifying feature. John Thompson, South Eastern Representative, VUFORS

10.11.99 MILESTONE, NSW EVENING (NL) (Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00378) Milestone (15 minutes drive south of Sawtell) South of Coffs Harbour, NSW.

Mr. Darryl F was fishing with two friends when they noticed two bright yellowish white lights in the distance to the south and over the sea just off the coast. Their immediate thoughts were that there were two aircraft flying side-by-side pacing each other. The two lights were at first identical in size, colour and brightness, and appeared to be approaching their position. No noise was heard at this stage.

After about five minutes, one of the lights suddenly dimmed to almost go out, while the second one remained bright and began to turn towards the west (inland). This light was then identified as a commercial aircraft approaching Coffs Harbour airport and making a landing approach. Sound from the aircraft was now heard.

Mr. F said that he thought "that the plane was being paced by a UFO, and that the pilot had seen the object beside him and turned the aircraft as if to have a better look at the object".

Comment: It is highly probable that what Mr. F saw, was the twin landing lights on the commercial aircraft. One landing light on each wing. As the aircraft turned to make its landing approach, the far side landing light was obscured by the nose of the aircraft, therefore dimming. Mike Farrell UFOR(NSW)

26.11.99 GOLD COAST (LABRADOR), QLD 2005hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00398)
Shape: Long tubes like a fluorescent light tube
Size: 3 meter long
Objects: 4
Colour:Bright green
Sound: None
Speed: Slow moving
Duration:10 minutes or more
Direction: Easterly out to sea
Witnesses: 8

Tracy said she could see the cloud cover and at first thought it to be a light show, so she investigated to see if anyone had been having one and she came up with nothing. Tracy said she and her neighbors are of the opinion that the object was above the clouds and was not a ground-based light source. The tubes were positioned alongside each other around 30 cm apart. All 4 tubes moved in the same direction -
"Easterly out to sea". Tracy said "It was astounding! It was fantastic! We all stood there mouths open in amazement at what we were looking at!" Diane Harrison AUFORN

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00379a)
In the evening Mr. Burgess was in Parramatta in Cairns QLD. He had looked up in the sky noticing two bright star-like lights at high altitude, one of these moved across the sky and then changed direction executing a 90 degree turn then moved away out of sight, the second object then followed doing the same manoeuvre. Russell Boundy UFOR(FNQ)

01.12.99 COFFS HARBOUR, NSW 2310hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00400)
Shape: No clear shape
Size: ??
Objects: 3
Colour:Bright orange all
Sound: None
Speed: Faster than a plane
Duration: 10 minutes or more
Direction: From an easterly direction
Witnesses: 3 & 1 non believer

Lockland said: "I went out side to have a look at the sky as I always do. I'm a keen skywatcher and have seen quite a few strange things in the sky over Coffs but I have never reported them before now. This time was different because I had my mate with me who is a non-believer and has never seen an UFO."

Lockland would not give me his friend's name because his friend was happy to remain anonymous but is now a believer in UFOs.

Lockland said: "I called my girlfriend on the phone for her to have a look and see if she could see them."

Comment Diane: Girlfriend told me she witnessed the 3 orange objects at the same time as her boyfriend.

Description: 3 orange objects and 2 F-111s or F18s. The 3 objects remained stationary for around 2 minutes then moved towards the airport, I stepped inside to get a smoke while my mate kept watch. He called out to me to come outside and look at the air force jets. They looked like they were (his words) intercepting the objects. One of the objects faded out when the F-111s came near. The 2 other objects stayed stationary until the F-111s looked like they had them in their sights, then they moved away with the F-111 following them.

Lockland said: "My mate and I were dumb-founded - 'man, what a sight!' We could not believe what we were seeing. My girl friend rang me after it was all over and she saw what we saw from a different location of Coffs Harbour. The 2 objects moved away with the F-111 going after them in a northerly direction towards Qld."

Still under investigation. Diane Harrison AUFORN

04.12.99 JIMBOOMBA, QLD 1925hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00402)
Shape: Star like
Size: Size Venus
Objects: 2
Colour: White star colour
Sound: None
Speed: Faster than a plane
Duration: 10 minutes
Direction: Traveling south westerly
Witnesses: 2

Fred said: "I stepped outside to have a smoke when I noticed these 2 star-like objects traveling together from the Southeast. What I thought was really strange - they stopped for a while then they moved around a meter and stopped again. They did this twice. I noticed a plane going past but it was a lot lower than the 2 objects. I could see that the plane had flashing lights. I see lots of planes because we are on the Brisbane to Sydney flight path so I know a plane when I see it. I very sure this wasn't a plane. I have never seen a plane act like these things did." Diane Harrison AUFORN

30.01.00 KUNUNURRA, WA 0005hrs (NL)
(Source: JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE REALITIES, The Australasian Society for Psychical Research Inc, Volume 8, Issue 1, 2000)
Steven was at the Lakeside Resort on security duty. He watched a very bright orange light approach Kununurra from the north-west. He described it as "like an incandescent street lamp." It travelled very fast and was about the size of a Australian two dollar coin (20mm) at arm's length. The object slowed down and stopped north-west of Kununurra. It appeared to be enveloped in a sparkling substance. Burning, bright orange/red stuff was falling straight down from the object, like wax from a candle. The object slowly rotated and the witness noticed a darker central area on what appeared to be a sphere. After about a minute the sphere moved to the right (north-east) and then headed east-south-east and was lost from view. Apparently the same or similar object was seen in the same area in the early hours of Saturday 15 January, also shedding burning debris, and around Christmas time was reported twice at 11pm and 2am when it split in two and flew in opposite directions.

03.02.00 nr PERTH, WA 2207hrs (NL)
(Source: JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE REALITIES, The Australasian Society for Psychical Research Inc, Volume 8, Issue 1, 2000)
John of Currumbine, WA, thirty-five kilometers to the north of Perth, was looking south-west. There was a flash and the witness noticed an unusual 'star' at about forty-five degrees. It moved north towards the witness, then east before resuming a northerly direction and back east before disappearing, flashing all the while. Later that night John saw an unusually dull meteor streak from north to south, parallel to the ground.

06.02.00 GREENWOOD, WA 2115hrs (NL)
(Source: JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE REALITIES, The Australasian Society for Psychical Research Inc, Volume 8, Issue 1, 2000)
Emmet reported an orange/red fireball with a long tail travel from south-west to north-east in ten seconds. There was no sound or sparkle from the object.

10.02.00 GOSNELLS, WA 0430hrs (NL)
(Source: JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE REALITIES, The Australasian Society for Psychical Research Inc, Volume 8, Issue 1, 2000)
The witness, Peter, was looking east when he saw a bright, white, stationary light at forty-five degrees. The object then moved erratically up and down and side to side and assumed a bluish tinge with a haze around it. There appeared to be a black spot in the central area which was not well defined. The witness watched the object for about ten minutes before it faded out.

20.02.00 GOLDEN BAY, WA 2100hrs (NL)
(Source: JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE REALITIES, The Australasian Society for Psychical Research Inc, Volume 8, Issue 1, 2000)
The witness would not leave his telephone number, name or address, but insists he saw something very unusual. Two red/orange balls of light (OBOLs) glowing like hot coals were seen to the south west over the ocean. The leading sphere stopped, allowing the other to catch up. It did not catch up by travelling in a straight line, but zigzagged left and right in a very erratic manner. The two spheres remained stationary together for a while before moving away to the south-west and at the same time rising up into the night sky, increasing speed until they appeared as two star-like dots before disappearing altogether.

07.04.00 ADELAIDE (HACKMAN), SA 0630hrs (DO)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian U.F.O Research Society)
Tracey Hardman, 20 and Scott Davis, 22 sighted 3 white objects in front of the Adelaide Hills. The 15 minute sighting commenced at 6:30am on the day in question and the objects changed shape from a circle to a long rectangular shape then the shape of a flying saucer. The objects were at a 45 degree angle from the witnesses and seemed almost stationary but descended to the south before disappearing altogether behind the hills. Although the objects moved at a slow pace their changing of shape was very rapid and this is what attracted the attention of the witnesses. "This all happened just right of where the sun was rising from behind the hills."

20.04.00 MILDURA, VIC (NL)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian U.F.O Research Society)
William Whyte from Scotland was holidaying in Mildura when he sighted several white lights moving very fast and zigzagging in formation. "The strange lights came from the western sky and were heading to the south. I noticed no flashing lights and saw no portholes. The sky was clear and I noticed a plane in the area but did not take notice what direction it came from. When I was looking through my binoculars they (the lights) looked like they were moving toward me and away from me, the shape of the objects was round. The altitude of the lights was very high in the sky. The lights passed over me and I heard no sound coming from them. I have never seen anything like this in my life."

18.05.00 ADELAIDE (SKYE), SA 2220hrs (NL)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian U.F.O Research Society)
59 year old engineer, Kenneth Gray of Skye, saw a single orange object during the half hour from 10:20pm on the above date. "I saw the object rise like a domestic firework rocket with a firey tail but it remained stationary for a minute or so. I called my wife to observe and viewed it through a telescope. The object became increasingly dim, we believe it was rising slowly into the cloud layer." The orange object originated from the Newton/Holden Hill area and it was the trail of sparks that attracted Mr Gray's attention.

20.05.00 SMITHFIELD, SA 2135hrs (NL)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian U.F.O Research Society)
Craigmore sales manager Stewart Ellaby-Hall witnessed a round pure white light which was the size of a full moon at approximately 1000 feet in altitude. "I was driving from Gawler to Smithfield (north to south) when a bright white light passed above the car in a southerly direction at approximately 1000 feet. Within 15 seconds it was 100 meters ahead of the vehicle. The light was as big and the same shape as a full moon, there was no noise and it was faster than an F18 fighter jet. I did not see the object again, it disappeared." The duration of the sighting was 15 seconds from 9:35pm and left Mr Ellaby-Hall feeling excited yet disappointed he didn't capture it on video.

19.06.00 VICTOR HARBOUR, SA 2215hrs (NL)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian U.F.O Research Society)
Di & Terry Smythe from Haryborough saw 4 orange objects from Victor Harbour on Monday 19 June. The sighting lasted approximately 12 minutes from 10:15pm. The lights were dull rather than vivid in colour. The lights travelled south at a medium pace until they faded out of sight. "4 bright orange lights which were moving slowly east to west. One disappeared as though the light went out. One of the remaining 3 lifted position then returned to the other 2 then lifted again and stayed that way. The lights were dimming and flaring - not in unison - as though the objects were turning the lights away and toward us in the pictured formation. They moved at a moderate speed due south until they faded. When I first saw these lights I thought of everything possible that could produce the sight I saw, I processed, I came up with no explanation at all."

22.06.00 MURRAY BRIDGE, SA 0740hrs (DO)
(Source: THE UFO AUSTRALIAN BULLETIN, Victorian U.F.O Research Society)
Ben O'Brien, 27, was travelling from Adelaide to Bordertown for work on the morning of 22 June. At approximately 7:40am and about 20km from Murray Bridge a strange white object was noticed just to the right of the rising sun. At first it was thought to be a small cloud but on close inspection it was too solid looking to be a cloud. In between the object and the sun was a vapour trail left behind by an early morning flight to Melbourne. The vapour trail was drifting whereas the white object was stationary. "I viewed the object for about 10 minutes as it was straight ahead of me (approx 15 degrees from the horizon), the object did not move at all in all that time. I estimate it was about 5 - 10km the other side of Murray Bridge. Interestingly when I was crossing over the bridge at the end of the freeway the object suddenly seemed to drop and come closer, unfortunately I was on a bridge and therefore couldn't stop. The road veers to the right (south-east) immediately after the bridge and in the 20-30 seconds it took to get to the parking bay after the bridge I lost sight of the object. The last glimpse I got was of the object rapidly dropping to the ground, less than a kilometer away, it almost looked like a glider (ie it now had wings) except it was too big for one and didn't behave anything like a glider. It was difficult to work out why it had left my field of vision as although I had changed direction I still had the sun as a point of reference for locating the object when I arrived at the parking bay. Ironically upon returning home on the Saturday night I sighted an orange object not far from home at Para Hills, this object looked similar to an object I had seen approximately 12 months ago, reported in the November 1999 issue in which I was unsure whether it was an errant garbage bag. This time I could be sure that what I was seeing was a garbage bag and therefore I believed that what I saw last August was also a garbage bag."

16.07.00 MILL PARK, VIC 2156hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00803)
Firstly, a flashing light came over a group of people who were outside waiting to observe the eclipse. This light was unusual because it was silent and it stopped, and then shot off at high speed.

Secondly, two flashing lights came over and did the same thing, stopped, and then took off.
Thirdly, another flashing light came over, this one resembling a fireball, stopped and then changed colour from red to green and blue and produced or 'poured out' a very intensely bright light which was followed by an intense explosion. The whole street saw it, according to CC. After the explosion the object flew off at about a 45 degree angle and disappeared. The local police were contacted and soon afterwards the 'Mill Park' police said a 'car blew up' in the area. This was not a rational explanation as no exploded cars were reported in the area. Another witness about 2km away also saw the light stop, and saw the sudden very bright light and heard the explosion. Needless to say the eclipse fell into insignificance in the minds of those witnesses who later had difficulty getting to sleep with the events of the evening staying in their minds.

10.07.00 bet. WONTHAGGI & INVERLOCH, VIC 2100hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 00793)
Tahlie and her mother we returning home to Venus Bay travelling along the South Gippsland hwy between Wonthaggi and Inverloch at about 9pm on Monday 10 July 2000 when they saw an unusual light up ahead. It appeared as a bright star does when seen through trees. However there were no trees in the particular area. As they watched this light it approached them at an alarming speed. In about one second it came from about one half of one kilometer ahead and passed right next to their car and disappeared behind them into the distance. It was not very high when it passed them because Mrs. C could clearly see spark trails just outside her driver's side window. There was no sound. It moved so rapidly that they could not gauge its size.

They were both left with the impression that they had seen something odd. Then Tahlie decided to report it.

Sources for this Issue:

AUFORN, PO Box 738, Beaudesert, QLD 4285
Keith Basterfield, GPO Box 1894, Adelaide, QLD 5001
Charmaine Bellan AUFORN SA, e-mail:
Peter Johnson AUFORN SA, e-mail:
TUFOIC, PO Box 174, South Hobart, TAS 7004
UFOR(FNQ), PO Box 1585, Cairns, QLD 4870
UFORNSW, PO Box W42, West Pennant Hills, NSW 2125
UFORUM, PO Box 2001, Kandinya, WA 6163
VUFORS, PO Box 1043, Moorabbin, VIC 3189

AUFORN Reports Australian Sightings