AUFORN Reports

Compiled Sighting Reports

Issue 29
August 2002

Compiled by Robert Frola
Australian UFO Research Network
PO Box 738 Beaudesert QLD 4285


1978-79 BOX HILL, VIC 1844hrs (CE1)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02566)
The witness's dog got out so he went out looking for it. While outside he looked up and saw four "book shaped objects", like a book held horizontally. No all over...maybe 1000ft behind the other...silent...

The caller has never heard of any similar reports from anywhere over the last 20 years except... He mentioned this to a friend who says he saw a single one crossing Port Philip Bay about 8 yrs ago...very similar description. He only found out about this other case about 2 yrs ago. George Simpson AUFORN VIC

(Source: Filer's Files #13 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern March 27, 2001)
Dave writes, "The first time I saw a UFO was when I was fourteen years old in 1979. I was walking home about 9.25pm when a shadow went over my head. I cringed and looked up and saw this incredibly huge dark shape about 100 feet above me traveling north. No sound, no lights - nothing! It scared the living daylights out of me. I jumped into a bush and watched it pass by. Its shape was circular. I could see the stars outlined all around the object and it cast this monstrous shadow on the ground. Best visual encounter I ever had in my life! I stood there cowering in the bush till it had gone a few miles off and then ran like the wind home! Sure, at the time I was scared, but I wonder what a UFO was doing around my neighborhood. I live about five miles from the RAAF base Edinburgh and UFO's were seen near bases a lot. This is a "Weapons Research Establishment" (W.R.E. - now named DSTO of "Defense and Sciences Technology Organization") Its a hi-tech hub for defense research. Several years ago a journalist disclosed while working on a corporate video for the DSTO he had entered an off-limits hangar that contained saucer shaped craft - as he described it when noticed in hangar, he was swiftly escorted out and told not to talk about what he had seen. Others have stated that there is a top secret project named "Project Apotheosis" that involves the transport of alien craft from the DSTO to another secret location. Perhaps it was the DSTO that was the focus. After all, some of best defense projects in the world have come from there. We had other sightings in the 70's as well of strange lights doing right angle turns. The most recent sighting was last month while my brother and I watched a satellite pass overhead. Suddenly a bright light "switched on" in our view up in the sky and became really bright, then moved across the sky at a great pace till it disappeared. It took all of two to three seconds for it all to happen. It was like someone had kicked the engines to life and flattened the throttle. That's the best way I can describe it.

20.02.01 PORT MACDONNELL, SA 0040hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #10 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern March 5, 2001)
The Border Watch Newspaper, February 27, 2001, reports of an unidentified flying objects along the southeast Coast line last week have increased. Four people sitting in a car near Port MacDonnell lighthouse last Tuesday night described what they believe was a UFO. Their sighting has been verified by two more people. The object was flying in the vicinity of Victoria and towards the ocean. Their descriptions of the "Alien Machine are virtually identical to two sightings near Port MacDonnell light house, the other near Mumbannar. They described, "A large white hazy object in the sky, which moved at incredible speed when not moving slowly or stationary." People traveling in a car at 12:40am last Tuesday night saw the object near Mumbannar. Their description matches that of the separate sightings at Port McDonnell and seems to describe an object which - moved in a huge arc across the sea then inland. It was moving at varying speeds, then just disappeared in a flash. The Victorian people who phoned us said they had contacted the weather bureau but there was no balloon activity. The motorists said the object was round, large white and surrounded by a haze. The five people who saw the object at Port MacDonnell are convinced they saw a UFO and were "quite freaked out" Trevor Raynor and Diane Harrison AUFORN.

28.03.01 BRISBANE, QLD 2330hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #16 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern April 17, 2001)
A woman saw a glowing red UFO land in a paddock close to Beenleigh and Redland Bay Road near Logan, the night of March 28, 2001. According to the Logan newspaper, "Dogs barked, birds squawked and horses bolted when a mysterious bright object streaked across Logan's night sky, shining red light over a rural property at 11:30 p.m." "Seeing the silent red UFO has frightened and mystified property owner Tashma Hosking who said she heard it hit the ground minutes later after it disappeared over a hill." "But her search of the area the next day found nothing." Diane Harrison AUFORN.

26.04.01 SALT ASH (nr. NEWCASTLE), NSW 2000hrs (CE1)
(Source: Filer's Files #18 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern May 1, 2001)
Darryl Jones writes that he holds an ultra light pilots license and is a yachtsman so he is more aware of the sky. On April 26, 2001, he was 15 miles North of Newcastle. He was looking at the sky with a friend at 8:00pm when a huge triangular outlined shape formed by white lights, mostly on the leading edge, but enough on the trailing edge to define this boomerang outline, flew directly over head. It had to be massive. His first impression was that it was between 10,000 to 30,000 feet high. It was 5 degrees wide, silent and flew straight with no ionization trail. Suddenly it was gone like the lights went out. Only minute's later single lights began scribing perfect arc's between 40 to 80 degrees south, first in one direction then the other in exactly the same circuit, then they too were gone. They were making a crescent shape as they too were fading out in the western portion of their arc. "I have wracked my brain for an explanation such as birds, aircraft, or asteroids. My friend and I sat down and made notes that were near identical. We concluded the most likely explanation was a mother ship and the single orbs somehow came from it".

"I am still far from satisfied with that explanation though. As the military aircraft from a nearby RAAF base were out in larger than normal numbers, the three helicopters and possibly five F18's might have been a laser type focused display. The triangle was "flying" in the direction of the base. My friend was looking the other way when I spotted the triangle approaching. He got two and a half seconds to observe it, while I got five. We agreed on what we saw. The orbs were around for 13 passes for three minutes at very high speed. They dimmed out as they headed west for the sun now over the horizon, suggesting again deep space objects. The main group then fractured and returned to earth much like fighter pilots peel off. There was a small storm in the distance with heavy lightning that continued all night. Others claim to regularly see the big triangle inland at Bathurst Darryl Jones

23.06.01 SYDNEY (ST HELENS PARK), NSW 2200hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #27 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern July 2, 2001)
On June 23, 2001, two bright orange lights approached from the west in the northern winter night's sky about 10:00 PM. They hovered for about 1/2 hour then proceeded east and vanished. The lights had a steady glow and did not blink. The objects flew faster than a domestic plane. Cheryl Baldo

28.07.01 WAIKIKI & WARNBORO, WA 2000-2110hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #33 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern August 14, 2001)
On July 28, 2001, Brian Richard's phone rang off the hook for two hours as scores of witnesses reported seeing five bright orange lights travel slowly over Waikiki and Warnboro, south of Perth at 8:00pm. They headed south with one in front. Three were in a straight horizontal line. The lights seemed to pulse in unison and faded out beyond Warnboro. They were observed for some 15 minutes. At 8:30pm a single orange light appeared from the north and performed a series of aerial maneuvers, zigzagging about and moving up and down, side to side before fading out. At 9:10pm two more appeared traveling southeast. One of the callers related his dog was barking excessively and running around. This doesn't sound like pranksters setting off hot air balloons made from orange garbage bags and paraffin-wax firelighters suspended underneath. Not one witness out of the twenty I spoke to believed these were hot air balloons. Brian Richards ASPR/UFORUM

11.08.01 ROCKINGHAM, WA 2130hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #35 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern August 29, 2001)
On August 11, 2001, at 9:30pm, various independent witnesses reported seeing three very bright amber lights hovering overhead at Rockingham. They were in a triangular formation with the apex pointing west towards the ocean. One group of witnesses calculated their height at 200 feet and the size of a basketball. The lights then started to move in different directions, coming back together and moving apart again. After 12 minutes the lights headed out to sea and gradually blinked out. The witnesses were able to see the lower object in silhouette after the light had gone out. They could see a dark arrow or delta shape moving westward. Brian Richards ASPR/UFORUM

(Source: Geoff Hall ABC Radio 22.08.01)
Got a call from Geoff H. from ABC radio mid coast Wednesday 22nd August regarding strange noises and bright lights seen in the area of Dorrigo, Forster and Tuncurry area the previous night at approx 11.47pm. Callers said they sound was like a 747, but very low. This sound was likened to a loud windy noise and in some cases were associated with a bright white light. The intensity of the light varied with the witness reports, some stating it was too bright to keep their eyes open. The ABC station checked with the Williamtown RAAF base, who stated all F111s were in hangers by 11pm that night. If some rogue pilot were out after curfew, the answer from the RAAF would likely be the same. The local Dorrigo police received no reports, although the Constable I spoke to reported his wife was up with their new baby and heard a noise like a road train going over the Dorrigo wooden bridge at approximately midnight. There was no Police search and rescue choppers out that night and the landing strip for the hospital choppers is the local recreational ground, just behind the constable's house, so, not one of them. I was on air Wednesday morning and asked for more reports through the 1800 772288 number. Only one came thru, that being one of the same ladies that called the station the next morning. No calls from Forster /Tuncurry until the next day when Geoff H. received a call from a man who said he saw a plane landing at about 10pm at Wallace lakes landing strip, Wallace lakes landing strip has no landing lights. This landing was 2 hours earlier than the Dorrigo sighting. When small planes have to raise altitude quickly they do make a loud laboring noise. Could this have been a plane of drugs landing and taking off slowly following the terrain as it found itself snaking it's way back to some point of rendezvous? No other reports have since been forthcoming. Apparently the Forster women said the lights hurt her eyes but the dorrigo women said they were not that bright at all, could it be the altitude was higher at Dorrigo, but the noise still intense due to the effort to raise over Mt Christopher? Doug Moffett UFOR(NSW)

(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01697)
Reportee Pam had started her first day at a new job when she received two messages on her mobile phone. Checking her voicemail she heard eerie ghostly sounds which terrified her. Thinking she was being stalked she phoned the police and other organisations but they were unable to help. Finally Optus agreed to trace the calls and it was found they were made from her home phone. This she thought was very strange as she lives on her own. She was desperately trying to get a clear recording of the sounds for evidence as Optus told her she only had 48 hours before her voicemail tape would be erased but she was not having much luck with her tape recorder. Brenda UFOR(NSW)

23.08.01 SYDNEY (LITHGOW), NSW 2125-2140hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01---)
SIGHTING: 2 orange pulsating UFOs
SIZE: half the size of a closed fist held out at arms length
COLOUR: orange and pulsating
MOVEMENT: hovered, descended vertically, traveled horizontally

Marty sighted the first UFO in the southern sky on Sydney side of the mountains. Orange and pulsating, he watched it hover and descend and move south. It disappeared and the second one appeared in the South-East. He said it definitely was not an air plane or meteor as it moved with a purpose and changed direction, moving west towards them. He called everyone outside, there were five witnesses. It hovered over power lines and Marty's brother said he saw a metal rod as the craft hovered. Then it moved west and stopped right above them blinking on and off and he noticed the metal rod was gone. They had the feeling that they were being watched. It seemed to be hovering above them watching them. They said "there was no sound whatsoever". It suddenly moved south west and they lost sight of it. The whole sighting lasted approximately fifteen minutes. Larraine Cilia UFOSWS

11.09.01 SYDNEY (HORNSBY), NSW 2305hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01727)
I eventually caught up with Gary F at his work place last Saturday. Gary works odd hours at the local RSL Club. When we started talking he spoke of an interesting event that occurred on Tuesday, 11th September around 11.05pm. He was venturing into his back yard that evening and discovered a cluster of lights circling around in a circumference in a low set cloud. At first he thought it was some kind of light show. But that was soon ruled out when Gary saw no ground based emitting beam. This continued on for an hour. Gary decided to contact the local authorities to shed some light on this illusive event. Apparently an officer on duty said that they would send a patrol vehicle out to the neighbourhood (I honestly think that that did not happen as you will see in my later notes).

The following day I contacted the Hornsby Police station. I was informed that the officers on duty that evening should be back on Tuesday. On Tuesday, I re-established contact with Hornsby Police station. I spoke to a lady officer regarding the reported sighting and unfortunately she had no record of it. She also said that there are 150 people working in the station at any given time, so finding an individual officer would be near impossible. Failing that, I turned to the local clubs to see if any of them were using lighting display on Tuesday, 11th September. Now the only major club that would have used something like that would have been the local RSL club, where the reportee works. Yes, he would have known about it. Also the sighting occurred during the week, which is needless to say the wrong time of the week to attract a festive crowd. Another point that is worthwhile mentioning is the directing of the sighting, being northwest. Towards that region of Hornsby is the Berowra Valley, a bushland national park. I'm not saying that a logical explanation is ruled out here, but it is possible that these feisty lights may have been part of something much larger and more complete Attila Kaldy UFOSWS

08.10.01 DAYBORO, QLD 1800hrs (CE1)
(Source: Filer's Files #42 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern October 17, 2001)
The witness reports I was in my car near the small town of Dayboro on the 8th of October 2001 at around 6:00 PM when we struck a dog crossing the road. We turned into a nearby house to ask if they owned the dog. As we entered the driveway an orange, oval shaped object in the sky caught my eye. It moved slowly to the left and then suddenly shifted its course diagonally downward. It disappeared behind a shed. The orange glowed brightly but did not change. As soon as I saw it I knew it was something weird. Colour / Shape: Bright Orange, Oval. It moved slowly at first but when it changed direction its speed tripled instantly. It was 3 to 4000 feet high. There was a report of two other very similar sightings at the same time at different locations in Brisbane on a popular radio station called JJJ (107.7FM) Joe Trainor Masinaigan

20.10.01 KEMPSEY, NSW 2200hrs (NL & ANGEL HAIR)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01842)
I spoke to Mavis on sunday 18.11.01. She is a grandmother and suffers from M.S. Her occupation is a clinical therapist she teaches relaxation and meditation. She belonged to a UFO group in Woy Woy about 18 months ago. On the morning of Saturday 20.10.01 Mavis told me she meditated strongly and saw a flash of light she feels this is connected somehow to the sighting that occurred. That evening around 10pm she and two of her friends were sitting on her verandah when in the east over the water they all saw a falling object. It fell for a long time and looked very bright. As they watched it looked as if the sky parted and something from above East fell from the sky right in front of them. It was bright and round an iridescent blue colour with a silvery pinkish glow around the outside it pulsated and was larger than the moon. It shot towards them and over the rooftop much too low for usual aviation. There was no sound and it had a silvery white trail. Mavis and her friends said it was very beautiful and gave them a peaceful feeling. The sighting lasted about 30secs. Mavis also told me she has been getting spider web stuff on her plants since Christmas last year. She had heard this was significant in UFO sightings. She has invited me to go have a look but Kempsey is a few hours away from me. Maybe a closer investigator could go. Larraine Cilia UFOSWS

21.10.01 BUNDABERG (AVOCA), QLD 1800hrs (CE1)
(Source: Filer's Files #44 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern October 31, 2001)
Steve Evans was in his backyard in the outer suburb of Avoca on October 21, 2001, when his partner and he observed a string of five bright orange lights traveling north at treeline height for 5 to 10 minutes. A singular bright orange light was observed first before other's appeared behind it at close intervals at 9:20pm. A line of five bright orange lights were visible over about half the southern sky. They moved slowly north in a uniform line until the third object dropped in altitude, but not in speed. They passed just below the Moon (quarter) except for the fourth object, which went through the Moon's light. They continued moving north slowly and became less bright before disappearing. The objects were much brighter and larger than the closest star and traveled without any audible sound. The night was clear and fine. The objects displayed no characteristic similarities to any aircraft. Each light, being the whole entity, and remained a constant bright orange light with no flashing observed. They were traveling in a rising angle. The Moon and stars were clearly seen. A vague oval shape was observed from a side view when the fourth object passed through the light of the Moon. Before this, all five objects appeared round in shape. After sighting the objects, we accessed some information on the Internet where we found information and photographs of orange orbs and orange ball phenomenon closely matching what we had observed. Steve Evans & Joe Trainor

25.11.01 WARRAWONG, NSW 1600hrs (DO)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01861)
Peter told me on Sunday afternoon 25.11.01 at Warrawong about 4pm he saw a yellow biplane flying by. He is an avid aviation fan and knows his planes. It was unusual to see a plane of this kind in the area so he watched it. It was a sunny day with some clouds and the plane was at about a 45 degree angle. High up in the sky between the cloud gaps he noticed some black dots flying in a string of pearls formation with pairs of black dots all around it. There were about 24 flying north east in a stable formation. They were very high and he could see them through the clouds but not in the blue sky. He estimated them to be 10,000 to 15,000 metres high, he saw no lights or shape. It passed over in a few seconds, too fast for birds or planes. He said he's never seen anything like it before and he rang the Sydney airport radar but they had not recorded anything Larraine Cilia UFOSWS

(Source: Filer's Files #50 - 2001, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern December 12, 2001)
This sighting occurred while the witness was returning home from work to Fernvale. On arriving just out of Ipswich his wife contacted him by mobile phone to pick up some milk on his way home. He stopped at a small shop at 7.35pm, just this side of Brassall, fifteen minutes drive from his home in Fernvale. As he drove along he became aware of a bright light on the horizon. He said that usually he drives at around 100 kilometers per hour (60 mph) on this stretch of road, but found himself doing 135 kilometers (80 mph). As he drove on, the light became bigger as he got closer, it seemed to be stationery then as he got a little closer his immediate thought was, that it was someone on a motor bike. As he got closer still the colour seemed to change from the colour of a halogen light to the reddish/orange. This light went over his car and was about 45 degrees above the trees on the passenger side of the car, it seemed to keep abreast with him, so he sped up. It kept just ahead of his car. When I asked him how big this light was? He said, 'if you stretched out your arm it would be about 8 inches in diameter,' he would gauge the height it traveled was about 20 feet above the trees.

He contacted his wife by mobile phone and asked her to go outside and look in his direction at this object in the sky. She said that she watched it for about five minutes before it flew in a south west direction. Malcolm claims that he watched it for a good fifteen minutes. Malcolm had phoned me around 9:15pm to report the incident. I asked him was anything different regarding his car or clothes, skin etc. He asked me to wait while he checked out his car. Malcolm came back to the phone rather puzzled, he found a type of dust imbedded in his car on the passenger's side, roof and the front of the bonnet also around the trim on the doors-when he shined a large spotlight on the paint work he found that the colours were imbedded into paint work of the car - like a brown, creamy colour and other colours seemed to glitter. When he ran his hand over the paint work he found that the dust particles felt like find sand paper. I asked him to scrape off some of the residue so that we can have it examined. On questioning Malcolm - it would appear a time distortion (lapse) had taken place. Usually it only takes him about 15 minutes to reach home from Brassall, the time he arrived home at 8:50pm. It would appear that he had an hour of lost time. Malcolm has been a truck driver for many years. Up until now has never had any interest in or taken notice of UFO's. A pretty down to earth chap. Glennys Mackay QUFON

29.12.01 MIDDLETON BEACH, SA 0030hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01894, 01896 & 01898)
Paul was outside when he saw three orange lights in a triangular formation in the sky. There was no associated sound. The lights were round with "blurred" edges. The lights went out one after the other. Duration: 20 seconds. Keith Basterfield (Independent Investigator)

06.01.02 PLUMTON, NSW 2250hrs (Identified as Meteorite)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01903)
At 10.50pm Sydney time Elaine went outside for a smoke. She was standing on her back verandah facing north looking at the stars when she noticed one of the stars was moving. It was very high up and shot straight over the top of her traveling from her right to left, which would have been east to west. She said it was too fast for a plane or satellite and appeared to move around a star on its course. She was mesmerized by it and followed its course. Suddenly it descended in a half moon shape bend and blinked out. Elaine estimated the duration of the sighting to have been 10 or 20 seconds. She has looked for it every night since but has not seen it again. She told me it looked like a bright star and had no tail or trail. Elaine is a 34 year old mother of 3 and seems quite sincere. Larraine Cilia UFOSWS

12.01.02 TURRAMURRA, NSW 0230hrs (Identified as Stars)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01908)
On 12th January 2002, Paul ventured out into his back yard in the early hours of the morning (2.30am) and gazed at the night sky with admiration. While gazing he noticed an unusual phenomenon: two small star-like objects (which I'll refer to as SLOs), both on opposite sides of a much brighter star. The SLOs were independent to one another and occasionally seemed to move towards and from the much brighter star (Jupiter). Then suddenly the entire event faded away for a few seconds (transit cloud) but reappeared in its full brilliance once again. Paul added, 'they (SLOs) seemed to be 1 or 2 cm from the bright star and appeared to flash on and off at times'. Paul watched the SLOs trail Jupiter until 4.30am, only then losing sight when an overhead cloud barrier blanketed the night sky.

Conclusion: Over the next few months we'll see Jupiter in the constellation Gemini. Paul mentioned that although the SLOs were bright, their magnitude did not exceed Jupiter's (-2.7mag). After Paul said that the SLOs were trailing Jupiter at the same pace it became suspicious to me that we might be dealing with stellar objects. After consulting my bible (Astronomy 2002) for advice, it gave perfect explanation to our SLOs. The two stars that fit the description "like a glove" are Mebstuba and Tejat in the constellation Gemini, situated only 2 & 3 degrees from Jupiter (at opposition to each other). Their brightness has a stellar magnitude of 2. And as the erratic maneuvering is concerned, we can most definitely put it down to optical scintillation. Doug Moffett AUFORN NSW

04.02.02 PERTH (MAYLANDS), WA 0230-0400hrs (CE1)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 01927)
Witness saw a bright light south over Perth city, at about forty degrees It seemed to be giving off some sort of electrical discharge. It moved rapidly up and down , left and right and dropped to just above some trees. Moved straight up again and three smaller objects also giving off some sort of discharge flew around it. The witness also noticed similar objects to the large one in the East and the North. The original larger object (South) seemed to change shape with a dome on to and red and green lights. The three 'baby' lights moved high in the sky and the other two lights moved towards the one to the south. All lights left a small tail as they moved about Brian Richards ASPR/UFORUM

(Source: Filer's Files #16 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern April 17, 2002)
An Alice Springs woman was driving home last month when she saw a light in a paddock 30 kilometers south of Wycliffe. "She saw a triangular-shaped craft and then three silvery beings came out of the craft and walked towards her - it was then that she panicked and drove off." April 11, 2002, Mysteries Phenomena UFOs Mysteries Phenomena UFOs

09.02.02 BRISBANE (KANGAROO POINT), QLD 2042hrs (CE1)
(Source: Filer's Files #15 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern April 10, 2002)
On February 9, 2002, I was being dropped home by some adamantly non-UFO-believing friends and we had stopped outside my home on the Kangaroo Point Cliffs. While we were saying our good-byes Julie, who was in the back seat, pointed up through the windscreen and said "look at that triangle - it's wobbling" - as though the wobbling was the only thing out of the ordinary. I looked up immediately and saw a colorless equilateral triangle at about 5,000 feet altitude and was about 2cm in size on each side. It remained stationary for a couple of seconds while wobbling, then sped off to the west at a very high speed and vanished. This is the third mysterious aircraft I have seen since December.

16.02.02 PERTH (MURDOCH), WA 2340hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #13 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern March 27, 2002)
On February 16, 2002, Brian Richards writes, I was privileged to witness one of these enigmatic OBOLS at 11:40 PM, that was not a conventional aircraft or an orange garbage bag fueled by firelighters. I went to check the pool and saw a brilliant orange yellow light moving above me heading north. It was totally silent and about the size of a quarter of the full Moon almost 2000 feet high. I called out to the family to come and look, which they did. I raced to get a camera, but when I came back out the object had dimmed and reduced in size and climbed higher and parked itself like a star to the right of Orion's Belt. It jumped to the left about two fingers width at arm's length, then remained absolutely stationary for six minutes. I watched the object through binoculars and could see no identifying features or appendages. After six minutes the object started to move slowly west and at one point was a very impressive fourth (top) star of Orion's Belt. There was a flash and the object simply vanished. Brian Richards ASPR/UFORUM

18.02.02 PERTH (GLEN IRIS), WA 2200hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #13 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern March 27, 2002)
On February 18, 2002, two independent witnesses reported a silent, orange/red and very bright light traveling north. The first witness Jan, of the southern Perth suburb of Glen Iris saw the object pass over her car as she headed south along the Kwinana Freeway. She was convinced it was coming in to land and expected to see it touch down when she looked over her shoulder at 10:15 PM

18.02.02 PERTH (HEATHRIDGE), WA 2220hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #13 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern March 27, 2002)
Steven and his girlfriend were in the northern Perth suburb of Heathridge, near Ocean Reef at 10:20 PM, when a bright orange/yellow light passed by from south to north. It appeared to have smaller lights within the main body, dimmed down, and reduced in size as it passed in 15 minutes.

25.02.02 PERTH (WILSON), WA 2042hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #13 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern March 27, 2002)
On February 25, 2002, the witness Russell B. reported a silent, star-like object traveling overhead from NE - SW at 8:42pm. After its initial pass the object arced south and executed a fairly large clockwise ellipse followed by a tight clockwise circle before heading NE at a terrific speed. This incident left him bemused. Total time of sighting 12 minutes.

09.03.02 PERTH (WILSON), WA 2042hrs (CE1)
(Source: Filer's Files #13 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern March 27, 2002)
On March 9, 2002, Sha writes "my small dog was perched up on his seat in the window, looking out, as he loves to do". "He gave a bark and I found myself looking directly at a magnificently bright, elongated and intensely white light in the daylight sky. About 400 metres away there was a large object, about six inches long as viewed from my perspective. It was twice the length of a standard house. I was awestruck at the intensity of the light that was almost blinding in its brightness. It was shaped like an elongated and relatively flat disc, being wider at the middle section. It was stationery so I went outside to get a better view, but in those couple of seconds, the object had disappeared! Just after dusk, we were looking across the valley and to the left, but lower than the moon was a very bright star. It was too bright for Venus and we realized it was flashing, giving a glimpse of a red glow with a bright white light. We watched it with amazement for many minutes, and my youngest, Katinka, noticed that it was moving and dropped down below the tree-line. Sha and Tim Edward's Dreamscape

(Source: Filer's Files #15 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern April 10, 2002)
Resident in the Brisbane suburbs of Redcliffe and Caboolture have reported four UFO sightings on March 30, 2002, police said. A police spokesman said two bright discs were seen hovering over Clontarf - later moving on to Beachmere. "We received the first call at about dusk, and the Caboolture police were also receiving sighting reports.

04.05.02 ALBURY, NSW 1800hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #21 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern May 22, 2002)
Tonight at just after 6:00 PM on May 4, 2002, my husband and I were driving down our street and saw a large orange light that looked like what I thought was the planet Mars. We have been looking to see the planets align and have been seeing big bright stars that we are gathering to be the planets that are aligning, but this one was different in the fact that it was a bright orange! There was a small but bright white star just above this bright Mars-like planet. Then I said "Look-its moving!" My husband looked up from the road and said "What...Mars?" with a tone of disbelief in his voice, as I would have also if I were him. I said "No. The little white star above it is moving!

04.05.02 MILDURA, VIC 1800hrs (NL)
(Source: Filer's Files #21 - 2002, MUFON Skywatch Investigations George A. Filer, Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern May 22, 2002)
The Victorian UFO Research Society (VUFORS) is currently investigating a report made by two police officers in the northern Victorian city. The Sunraysia Daily newspaper reports, Police sighting of UFO in the Sunraysia Daily, on May 18, 2002. "We've just seen a UFO," was the radio call received at the Mildura Police Station during the early hours of yesterday morning. Two officers on a routine patrol through Apex Park were stunned to see a silver shape hovering above the river at 5:00 AM this morning. "Mildura divisional van crew members Kate and Greg were patrolling Apex Park when their jaws dropped at the sight of a very brightly lit up UFO hovering over the river," A police spokesperson said. "It appeared the UFO spotted them at the same time as it shot off in the direction of Gol Gol. "They attempted to give chase, but it had gone in the blink of an eye." "One of the officers commented over the air 'we've just seen a UFO' and received the reply. "One of the officers had seen a similar sighting in the same area several months ago that was the source of much mirth and humor among her colleagues," he said. VUFORS

04.06.02 SYDNEY (LEICHARDT), NSW 1600hrs (DO)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02053?)
Jean Paul looked into the sky on instinct and saw a star like object stationary in the sky directly above his home. It was very high up and seemed to be a round yellow sphere. Jean Paul recorded the sighting on video. Although not visible to the naked eye, other smaller objects could be seen on video darting around the main object and forming triangles. The smaller objects also appeared to have some form of cloud or mist about them. The objects faded from view eventually, after a short period of time there after. Doug Moffett AUFORN NSW

15.06.02 SYDNEY (HOMEBUSH), NSW 2330hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02054?)
I spoke to Belinda on Tuesday June 19th she told me she went out on to her balcony about 11.30pm Saturday night, she was facing east. Suddenly a bright light above her caught her attention. She described it as a big, bright, white light, thick at the top and thin at the bottom. It was very high up and descended in the east. Just before it reached the horizon it turned right, which would have been south, there was a big flash and it disappeared. Belinda said it was like a cone shape with a long thin wavy tail and was about the size of the half moon. She told me it got thinner as it descended and there was no sound. She viewed it for only a few seconds. It wasn't lightening because it didn't light up the whole sky, it was bright against the black sky. It couldn't have been a falling star, comet or meteor because it was descending tail first. I considered fireworks because it was the Queens birthday, but Belinda's balcony on the other side overlooks Homebush Bay and they often watch fireworks displays. She told me that the light she saw didn't act like any fireworks she had ever seen, otherwise she would not have bothered ringing the 1800 number. Larraine Cilia UFOSWS

08.06.02 ALBURY, NSW 2000hrs (CE1)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02058?)
John was driving at about 8pm Sunday 19th May this year when he noticed a incandescent yellow flame through the side window of his car. John stopped the car to look at the "flame". Before he got out of the car, he rang his sister on his mobile, as the object was heading in her direction. The message he left was misconstrued by his young nephew. They were not alerted till he pulled up beside their fence, still in time to see the "flame". John's sister, husband and children saw the object as it made it's way toward the airport runway. The "flame" made a left turn to move parallel with the runway in a smooth controlled motion. The object moved smoothly in straight directions, giving the appearance of intelligent control. The entire journey was about at least 2 to 3 km's and appeared too professional and large to be a garbage bag. There was no breeze at the time. In the opinion of the witness, the object was a remotely controlled device of some sophistication, possibly a remote controlled plane with some burning substance attached to it, to illuminate it's journey. The object moved quite slowly with no noise. The object disappeared from view as it seemed to dim and fade out. I agree with the witness, some kind of sophisticated remote controlled device, for the amusement of some clever people who were controlling the device from a distance. Interesting to note previous callin a couple of months earlier. Doug Moffett AUFORN NSW

28.06.02 NEWCASTLE, NSW 1844hrs (CE1)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02041?)
Shape: Triangle
Size: huge a giant
Objects: 1
Colour: black
Sound: Humming
Speed: slow then very fast
Duration: seconds
Direction: North East
Witnesses: 1 at present

I'd just got home from shopping when I heard this humming noise coming from above me. I looked up and to my amazement I saw an object in the shape of a triangle, it was black and humming.

I heard a jet and before I knew what I was looking at the thing took off a great speed. I'm not to sure if the RAAF base sent something after it. So I raced inside and got on the phone to the Williamtown base and asked if they had any stealth planes in the area, they informed me they hadn't. I then informed them if they had it wasn't very stealthy because it was humming and had just scared the sh--t out of me when it took off. The lady on the phone then informed me to report the UFO to the UFO hotline and she gave me the number.

Anthony informed me he is a keen UFO enthusiast and is sometimes contacted by the media to comment on UFO's in the area, but at NO time has he ever seen a UFO up until now. He said he was shocked and just had to call someone to share his experience. Anthony will be posting a follow-up report and drawings to the list. Diane Harrison AUFORN

11.07.02 MELBOURNE, VIC 1930hrs (CE1)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02572)
Caller went outside for a smoke and saw a thing shaped like a hang-glider. However...noone flies hang-gliders at night...over the suburbs...darting in and out of clouds. It had light blue lights on the ' v ' on each side. It came out from a cloud and went back in. He called out his partner who also saw it. She also saw it do a ½ circle and curve back into the cloud. It was flying lower than 1000ft, and was a bit larger than a plane...triangular or V shaped. It was silent and it turned like a car doing a "u" turn..."planes can't do that". George Simpson AUFORN VIC

14.07.02 NYAH, VIC 0500hrs (Possible Saturn or Sirius)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02578)
The witnesse's dog howled, which woke him up. He noticed a bright light like a star through the window...with shade cloth outside. The object was due East.

He then said three red lights descended from the first light...which were all visible from 5 am to 5:40 am. Then there were 4 red lights in a row. Quentin then said this occurred THREE mornings in a row. I would say that this last bit of information rules out UFOs as a likely cause. Only natural astronomical bodies do repeat performances morning after morning, same place...same time. Saturn, Sirius and Canopus are early risers at present and stand out...and repeat every morning. George Simpson AUFORN VIC

15.07.02 PERTH, WA 1930hrs (NL)
(Source: AUFORN Web Page)
Just last night a friend and I were visiting Perth airport in hope of doing some aircraft spotting. Around 7:30 pm (Monday July 15th 2002) we stopped just outside the airport security fence next to a rotating radar on the northern end of the airport. (near Kalamunda road). It was a perfectly clear sky where we were and there wasn't much of a moon. I turned around and looked up towards the south and saw a strange coloured strobe light (kind of yellowish) moving towards us. However it didn't seem normal. The object seemed to be weaving slightly from side to side and changing its direction only slightly every couple of seconds. We were both doubtful that it was a conventional aircraft. It seemed to be at about mid altitude (5000 - 12000 feet) and wasn't making any noise that we could hear. I only had a pair of 7x50 binoculars with me and had a look through those. It appeared as though the object had some kind of rotating disc on top. This is my best description as the entire thing may have been rotating, it was too dark to tell and there were no other lights on it. Both my friend and I were nervous because it just didn't seem normal. Once it reached almost directly overhead, it started to climb directly upwards until we lost sight. To my knowledge no aircraft (unless it is a fighter jet or supersonic bomber) can perform something like that. It wasn't moving very fast (or so it seemed) but it was able to climb out of sight without any horizontal ground motion. Ryan

16.07.02 bet. MELTON & BACCHUS MARSH, VIC 1730hrs (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02582)
It was 5:30 pm on the Western Highway while traveling from Melton to Bacchus Marsh. A car full of people saw the object which looked like a 'candle flame' on it's side. It was bright orange and on a 45 degree angle...and not moving. It was watched for 10-15 minutes, then it was obscured by clouds. It appeared to be over near Macedon. Once the clouds went the object was gone. There are no Oil refineries in the area...and Karen is familiar with them as she once lived near one. This was different. George Simpson AUFORN VIC

19.07.02 MITCHUM, VIC 1730hrs (Identified as Military Jet)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02589)
This witness was in the Nunawadding area and saw in the North.." a massive flare of light- falling- big flash- somewhere over Bundoora way". This might have been another 'fuel dump' by the Air-force...we will wait and see if similar reports come in. It could also be fireworks seen from a great distance. George Simpson AUFORN VIC

19.07.02 TARALGON, VIC (NL)
(Source: 1800 Freecall National Hotline Number - Callin Code: 02590)
This witness saw a round light like a 'dinner plate'...low ...and very big...just hovering in the air. Her daughter saw it with her. It then went towards Melbourne...and changed from white, to green and then went out of view. The witness took 2 photographs which have not been developed yet. There was also "lots of other things going on nearby...hundreds of small flashing things...just like camera flashes...hard to describe, to the left of it". George Simpson AUFORN VIC


AUFORN, PO Box 738, Beaudesert, QLD 4285
George Simpson AUFORN VIC, e-mail:
John Hayes UFOINFO,
UFOSWS, PO Box 938, Ingleburn, NSW 2565
UFOR(NSW), PO Box Q95, Queen Vic Bldg, Sydney, NSW 1230

AUFORN Reports Australian Sightings