UFO NEWS UK Volume 1 No. 23

Editor: Anthony James

Volume 1 No. 23

30th July 2002

Editor: Anthony James

UFO News is read in:- Germany, France, Finland, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Brazil, Ireland, South Africa and Croatia, Russia, Portugal, Denmark, Turkey, Italy and the UK. If your country is not mentioned, please let me know.
(If you are reading this on the UFOINFO site and your country is not mentioned please let Anthony know at the e-mail address above)

From: NASAOIG@hq.nasa.gov

National Aeronautics and Space Administration Office of Inspector General Washington, D.C. 20546


On July 20, 2002, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Tampa and the NASA Office of Inspector General (OIG) recovered priceless lunar samples brought back to Earth by each of the Apollo missions that landed on the moon. A 600-pound safe containing lunar samples from every Apollo mission was stolen from the Johnson Space Center on July 13.

James F. Jarboe, Special Agent in Charge, FBI Tampa Division, and Lance Carrington, NASA OIG Assistant Inspector General for Investigations, today announced the arrest, without incident, of three individuals, Thad Ryan Roberts, Age 25; Tiffany Brooke Fowler, age 22; and Gordon Sean McWorter, age 26. The three were taken into custody late Saturday in Orlando, Florida, by Special Agents of the FBI and the NASA OIG and charged with Conspiracy to Commit Theft of Government Property and Transportation in Interstate Commerce of Stolen Property. A fourth individual, Shae Lynn Saur, age 19, was arrested in Houston and also charged with Conspiracy. Roberts, Fowler, and Saur were student employees at Johnson Space Center.

Shae Saur

Jarboe stated that since May 2002, an FBI undercover operation has utilized e-mail to communicate with an individual offering priceless moon rocks, which the individual described as the world's largest private and verifiable Apollo rock collection. The e-mail messages were sent from several locations including the University of Utah, Johnson Space Center and a public library in Houston. The continued exchanges included curatorial and historical records on the samples provided by the seller, and culminated in a meeting at a restaurant in Orlando over the weekend of July 20-21 to finalize the purchase of the Apollo moon rocks.

Mr. Jarboe praised the joint investigative efforts of the NASA OIG and the FBI in the swift recovery and arrest(s) in this matter. The defendants arrested in Orlando were afforded their initial appearance before United States Magistrate Judge Thomas B. McCoun on July 22, 2002.

The FBI began this investigation after receiving a tip through an e-mail address established by the Tampa Division for Internet Fraud Matters. The e-mail address is ifcc.tp@fbi.gov The NASA OIG also operates a cyber-hotline, which can be found http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/oig/hq/hotline.html

In a message dated 7/29/2002 11:33:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time, martinalfredo_m@yahoo.com writes: To view the entire article, go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31625-2002Jul19.html


By Peter Carlson

In the control tower at Washington National Airport, Ed Nugent saw seven pale violet blips on his radar screen. What were they? Not planes, at least not any planes that were supposed to be there. He summoned his boss, Harry G. Barnes, the head of National's air traffic controllers. "Here's a fleet of flying saucers for you," Nugent said, half-joking.

Upstairs, in the tower's glass-enclosed top floor, controller Joe Zacko saw a strange blip streaking across his radar screen. It wasn't a bird. It wasn't a plane. What was it? He looked out the window and spotted a bright light hovering in the sky. He turned to his partner, Howard Cocklin, who was sitting three feet away. "Look at that bright light," Zacko said. "If you believe in flying saucers, that could sure be one." And then the light took off, zooming away at an incredible speed. "Did you see that?" Cocklin remembers saying. "What the hell was that?"

It was Saturday night, July 19 1952, 50 years ago this month, one of the most famous dates in the bizarre history of UFOs. Before the night was over, a pilot reported seeing unexplained objects, radar at two local Air Force bases, Andrews and Bolling, picked up the UFOs, and two Air Force F-94 jets streaked over Washington, searching for flying saucers.

Then, a week later, it happened all over again, more UFO's on the radar screen, more jets scrambled over Washington. Across America, the story of jets chasing UFOs over the White House knocked the Korean War and the presidential campaign off the front pages of newspapers.

"SAUCER' OUTRAN JET, PILOT REVEALS," read the banner headline in The Washington Post.
"JETS CHASE D.C. SKY GHOSTS," screamed the New York Daily News.
"AERIAL WHATZITS BUZZ D.C. AGAIN!" shouted the Washington Daily News.

As rumors spread, President Truman demanded to know what was flying over his house. Soon the federal government was fighting the UFO's with the most powerful weapons in the Washington arsenal, bureaucracy, obfuscation and gobbledygook. That seemed to work. The UFO's never returned. At least, not that we know of.


In a way, this whole strange episode began with Marilyn Monroe. The actress appeared on the cover of Life magazine's April 7, 1952, issue, looking sultry in a diaphanous, low-cut dress, her eyelids drooping seductively. It was the kind of cover that attracts attention. And just above Monroe's left shoulder was a cover line touting a different story: "There Is a Case for Interplanetary Saucers." The article was titled "Have We Visitors From Outer Space?" It reviewed 10 recent UFO sightings and concluded that they could not be written off as hallucinations, hoaxes or earthly aircraft. An unnamed Air Force intelligence officer was quoted saying, "The higher you go in the Air Force, the more seriously they take the flying saucers." The story ended with a series of questions that sound like something Rod Serling might intone at the end of a "Twilight Zone" episode: "Who, or what, is aboard? Where do they come from? Why are they here? What are the intentions of the beings who control them?"

It wasn't the first media account of UFO's, there had been lots of publicity since several well-known sightings in 1947, including one in Roswell, N.M. but the Life article marked the first time that a trusted, mainstream magazine had given credence to the theory that UFO's might be alien spacecraft. The Life story was big news, covered in more than 350 newspapers across America. Soon, the number of UFO sightings reported to the Air Force skyrocketed -- from 23 in March, before Life's article appeared, to 82 in April, 79 in May, 148 in June. Were these increases due to saucers swarming over America? Or did Life's story make Americans more likely to report strange things they saw in the sky?

By mid-July, Capt. Edward J. Ruppelt, the head of Project Blue Book, the Air Force's official UFO study team, was getting 40 reports of UFO sightings a day. Many were bogus but some came from pilots and other respectable citizens, and Ruppelt took them seriously. Then, a few days before the first sightings at National Airport, Ruppelt interviewed a government scientist who made a startling prediction that Ruppelt recorded in his 1956 memoir, 'The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects.'

"Within the next few days," the unidentified scientist said, banging his hand on his desk for emphasis, "you're going to have the granddaddy of all UFO sightings. The sighting will occur in Washington or New York, probably Washington."


The blips first appeared on radar screens at National at 11:40 that Saturday night, seven unidentified targets about 15 miles southeast of the city. It was a clear, hot, humid night with very little air traffic, and the controllers at National watched the strange blips amble across their screens. They'd cruise at a leisurely rate of about 100 to 130 miles per hour, then abruptly zoom off in an extraordinary burst of speed. "They acted like a bunch of small kids out playing," Barnes, the head controller, wrote a few days later in a piece for a New York newspaper. "It was helter-skelter, as if directed by some innate curiosity. At times, they moved as a group or cluster, at other times as individuals."

Barnes called his counterparts at Andrews and Bolling to ask if they saw anything unusual on their radar screens. They did. They were getting blips in the same places. At Andrews, controller William Brady looked out the control tower window and saw what looked like "an orange ball of fire, trailing a tail." It was, he later told Air Force investigators, "unlike anything I had ever seen before."

At National, Cocklin looked out his window and saw what he recalls as a "whitish blue light" that emanated from a solid object that was "round with no distinguishing marks such as wings or a nose or a tail." It looked, he says, "like a saucer."

Sometime after 1 a.m, National's control tower radioed Capital Air Flight 807, from Washington to Detroit, and asked the pilot if he saw any unusual objects. Captain S.C. "Casey" Pierman, a pilot with 17 years of experience, radioed back: "There's one - and there it goes." For the next 14 minutes, as he flew between Herndon and Martinsburg, W.Va., Pierman saw six bright lights that streaked across the sky at tremendous speed. "They were," he said, "like falling stars without tails."

Watching the radar blips flying over the Capitol and the White House, Barnes called the Air Force to report unidentified aircraft in restricted air space. But it was very late on a Saturday night and the Air Force bureaucracy responded sluggishly. By the time F-94 interceptor jets left New Castle Air Force Base in Delaware, the runways at Andrews were closed for repairs, it was after 3 a.m.

When the F-94s soared over Washington, the strange blips disappeared from the radar screens at National. The F-94 pilots cruised around the area for a while but saw nothing. When they headed back to New Castle, the blips reappeared. The controllers watched the UFOs flit across their screens until dawn, then disappear.


Nobody bothered to call Ruppelt about the sightings. When he flew to Washington a couple of days later on unrelated Project Blue Book business, he learned about them by reading newspapers at the airport.

"Radar Spots Air Mystery Objects Here," read the headline on the front page of The Washington Post.

"Air Force 'Saucer' Expert Will Probe Sightings Here," said the Washington Daily News.

Ruppelt asked his colleagues who the expert was. You are, they told him. At the Pentagon, Ruppelt found the Air Force brass deeply concerned about one particular aspect of the sightings: What should they tell the press? Nobody had any idea what, if anything, had been in the air over Washington on July 19, but the newspapers were demanding answers. Reporters, Ruppelt wrote, "were now beginning to put on a squeeze by threatening to call congressmen, and nothing chills blood faster in the military."

Ruppelt volunteered to stay overnight to interview the controllers at National and Andrews, then report what he learned to the press. But Ruppelt got entangled in the thicket of military bureaucracy. He called the Pentagon's transportation section to get a car so he could travel to the various airports. Only colonels and generals can get cars, he was told. He called two generals, but it was after 4 p.m. and they were gone for the day. He went to the finance office to get permission to rent a car. "Take a bus", the woman there told him. It takes a lot of buses to go from the Pentagon to National to Andrews, he replied. Take a cab, she said, and pay for it out of your per diem. But his per diem was $9, he said, and he had to pay for food and lodging. The woman then informed Ruppelt that his orders were to fly back to Ohio that night, and unless he got those orders amended, he'd technically be AWOL. He asked to talk to her boss. He'd left at 4:30 to avoid traffic, she said, and now it was 5 and she was leaving, too. Ruppelt gave up. "I decided that if flying saucers were buzzing Pennsylvania Avenue, I couldn't care less," he wrote. "I caught the next airliner to Dayton."

A Return Engagement

About 10 o'clock Saturday night, July 26, Ruppelt was at home in Dayton when a reporter called to say that UFO's were back in the sky over Washington. What, the reporter asked, did the Air Force plan to do about it? "I have no idea what the Air Force is doing," Ruppelt replied. "In all probability, it's doing nothing." He hung up, then called the Pentagon and learned that he was right: The Air Force was doing nothing. He made more calls, dispatching two officers - Maj. Dewey Fournet and Lt. John Holcomb, a radar expert, to National's control tower to see what was happening.

Fournet and Holcomb arrived to find National's controllers tracking a dozen unexplained blips. An Air Force B-25 happened to be passing through the area, so the controllers asked it to check out some of the radar targets. The B-25 went to one site and spotted nothing except a tourist boat cruising the Potomac. Perhaps, the controllers surmised, a temperature inversion, a layer of hot air between two layers of colder air in the sky, had bent the radar beam, causing it to mistake objects on the ground for things in the air. Temperature inversions were common in Washington on hot days, and the controllers were familiar with the phenomenon. But Fournet and Holcomb were convinced that some of the radar blips were solid metal objects, not inversion-induced mirages. Radar operators at Andrews saw them too. And civilian planes flying into Washington reported seeing strange glowing objects in places where the radar was getting blips.

The controllers called for interceptors, and about 11 p.m. the Air Force dispatched F-94s to search the sky over Washington. When the first jets arrived, the blips disappeared from National's radar screens and the F-94 pilots saw nothing unusual. But when they returned to New Castle, the blips returned to the radar screens. About 1:30 a.m., the jets soared back over Washington. This time, pilots saw several strange lights. One pilot gave chase but he couldn't catch the streaking light. "I tried to make contact with the bogies below 1,000 feet," pilot William Patterson told investigators. "I was at my maximum speed but . . . I ceased chasing them because I saw no chance of overtaking them."


On Monday morning, the story of UFO's outrunning fighter planes was splashed across front pages all over America. In Iowa, the headline in the Cedar Rapids Gazette read like something out of a sci-fi flick: "SAUCERS SWARM OVER CAPITAL."

"We have no evidence they are flying saucers," an unidentified Air Force source told reporters. "Conversely we have no evidence they are not flying saucers. We don't know what they are." In the absence of hard information, the Washington Daily News printed a roundup of rumors. The "most persistent rumor" was that the saucers were American aircraft secretly produced by Boeing "at some remote site." An "absolutely weird" rumor was that the saucers were alien aircraft that had crashed and then been repaired and flown by the Air Force.

That Monday, the Air Force tried to reassure the nation by promising to keep jet fighters poised to chase the saucers at a moment's notice. But that statement didn't reassure Robert L. Farnsworth, president of the United States Rocket Society, who warned President Truman not to attack the UFO's. "Should they be extra-terrestrial, such actions might result in the gravest consequences, as well as possibly alienating us from beings of far superior powers," Farnsworth telegraphed Truman. "Friendly contact should be sought as long as possible."

Truman was as baffled as everyone else. He asked his Air Force aide, Brig. Gen. Robert B. Landry, to find out what the UFO's were. On Tuesday morning, Landry called Ruppelt, who'd flown back to the Pentagon. Ruppelt said the sightings might be weather-related mirages but he didn't really know. Nobody knew, not even Maj. Gen. John Samford, the Air Force's director of intelligence. But Samford called a press conference at the Pentagon at 4 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. It was the largest Pentagon press conference since World War II, Ruppelt wrote, and Samford's performance proved to be a brilliant demonstration of the art of bureaucratic balderdash.

He arrived in Room 3E-869 precisely at 4, accompanied by Ruppelt and several other officials. He opened with a rambling monologue on the history of UFOs, which, he noted, dated "to biblical times." He mentioned UFO sightings in 1846 but never got around to the UFO sightings of 1952. When reporters asked about the Washington sightings, Samford told a story about radar picking up a flock of ducks in Japan in 1950. When they asked if radar at National and Andrews had seen the same blips simultaneously, he speculated about the definition of the word "simultaneously." When they asked if the UFO's could be material objects, he mused about the definition of the word "material." When they asked if the F-94 pilot who chased the strange light was a qualified observer, he wondered about the meaning of the word "qualified."

Speaking about what that pilot saw, Samford uttered a sentence that ought to have a place in the Bureaucratic Gibberish Hall of Fame: "That very likely is one that sits apart and says insufficient measurement, insufficient association with other things, insufficient association with other probabilities for it to do any more than to join that group of sightings that we still hold in front of us as saying no." Along the way, Samford mentioned the "temperature inversion" theory, that a layer of hot air in the sky might have caused radar to mistake things on the ground for flying objects. First, he said it was a "possibility." Later, he said it was "about a 50-50 proposition." Then he said it was a "probable" explanation.

He talked until 5:20, then the reporters dashed back to their offices to meet their deadlines. Sifting through notebooks full of gobbledygook, they seized on temperature inversion. It was an irresistible concept for newspapermen. The UFO's, they wrote, were caused by Washington's famous "hot air." Ruppelt was amazed. Samford hadn't really explained anything, but whatever he had done, it worked. "Somehow," Ruppelt wrote, "out of this chaotic situation came exactly the result that was intended, the press got off our backs."

When newspapers stopped writing about the UFO's, people stopped reporting UFOs. "Reports dropped from 50 per day to 10 a day within a week," Ruppelt noted. And the UFO's never returned to the sky over Washington. Perhaps they'd seen enough.


Sitting at his desk, wearing blue pajamas and a gray bathrobe, Philip J. Klass holds up a government report and smiles mischievously. "I will let you borrow it," he says, "provided that you provide one testicle as security." The report is called "A Preliminary Study of Unidentified Targets Observed on Air Traffic Control Radars." Not many people would trade a testicle for it.

The report was issued by the Civil Aeronautics Administration in 1953, shortly after Klass began writing for Aviation Week. He's still writing for that magazine, but not often these days because he is 82 and ailing. "The gist of the report," he says, "is that the Washington sightings were temperature inversions."

He wrote about the report in Aviation Week in 1953. That began his career as America's most prominent UFO debunker. Over the past 49 years, he's written five books on UFOs and engaged in countless debates with UFO believers. He can cite evidence and quote reports all day long, but he seems to prefer rattling off one-liners. He says: "If there are UFO's and they want to make themselves known, land! And if they don't want to make their visits known, turn off the lights!" He says: "If UFOs are abducting people, why do they choose only ugly people? If they abducted Olympic athletes, I could understand." Bruce Maccabee isn't laughing. "One thing you have to understand: This is serious business," he says. "The skeptics like to make fun of us."

Maccabee, 60, is a civilian physicist for the Navy and a prominent UFO believer. In the '70s, he filed the Freedom of Information Act request that led to the release of the FBI's file on UFOs. The file was called "Security Matter X" - "the real X-Files," he says. Maccabee believes there were "solid objects" in the air over Washington 50 years ago. "And I think those solid objects were not made by us," he says. "And by us, I mean human beings."

Like Klass, Maccabee buttresses his argument with an official government report. It's called "Quantitative Aspects of Mirages" and it was issued by the Air Force in 1969. "They proved in their own study that there wasn't enough temperature inversion to cause this effect," he says. "The Washington sightings cannot be explained as a radar mirage."

After 50 years, the debate over the Washington UFOs goes on and on. "You have dueling experts and dueling reports," says Kevin D. Randle, author of "Invasion Washington: UFO's Over the Capitol," a new book on the 1952 sightings. "One expert says it was temperature inversion. Another says it wasn't. In that situation, you have to refer back to the air traffic controllers and the pilots who actually saw the objects." Former controller Howard Cocklin is still convinced that he saw an object over National that night. "I saw it on the screen and out the window," he says. "It was a whitish-blue object. Not a light - a solid form. An object. A saucer-shaped object." Now 83 and retired, Cocklin says he never saw anything like that saucer, not before, not since. "It just went away," he says, sitting in an armchair in his Fairfax living room. "Where did it go? Why don't people see these things today? Why 50 years ago?"     Thanks for that Dee


Press report:
UFOs spotted in Baku. A number of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO's) were spotted in the sky above the metro station, where they hovered for several hours, the Azeri daily Yeni Musavat reported June17 2002. However, the article read, once the reporter got to the scene, the UFO's were no where in sight."We asked local street vendors for information. One of them said the UFO's remained in the sky for five hours," the article read. Their witness claimed to see a round white object that looked like a saucer. At first there was only one, but it was soon joined by three others.The alien craft hung in the air side by side for five or six hours, the article read. It also noted that several spectators had previously seen UFOs.


Around 21:00 hours on Wednesday night July 12, 2002, dozens of falmilies in Villarrica were watching TV or listening to the friendly voice of their local radio station, which mixed with the soft sound of the rain falling in the darkness and silence of the evening. But this tranquility was suddenly and unexpectedly altered by the appearance of an unidentified flying object (UFO) which lit the winter night. In spite of the fact that the clouds obstructed a clear view of the object, it was seen from several points of the lake region by hundreds of people, and yesterday, the incredible phenomenon was being discussed in all corners of this city.

Villarrica UFO
This is the UFO caught on tape by videographer Alberto Sandoval on Wednesday night.

On that night, in the control booth of Radio Apumanque, Patricio Castillo, 28, was choosing music selections for hundreds of listeners while the rain continued outside. When the clock marked 21:15 hours, the station's phone began to ring. The radio controller raised a headphone and heard the voice of his co-worker Pilar Castillo, asking him to look out the window because there was a very strange object in the sky. Patricio hung up and opened one of the windows, leaned out and saw the strange object in the dark and rainy winter night. "I looked and I saw a luminous object with three red lights in one of its sides. It was still for a few seconds and then made a very swift movement. I stopped looking at it for a few seconds because I ran in to play a song and when I returned it was gone," he explained.

He had been working for 9 years in radio and had never had a similar experience. "I used to not believe in these things, but my opinion changed after this. "For one moment, Patricio thought it could be the millionaire who is crossing the world by baloon, but then realizied that the had already passed over South America, adding that despite it's luminosity, the UFO made no noise, dismissing the possibility that it could be an airplane. Pilar Castillo, the host of the "Morning Talk with Pili" segment, stated that after 21:00 hours, she had left a meeting when she realized that there was something strenge in the sky. Some of the persons with her were astonished as the luminous object vanished suddenly. "It was like a shooting star that changed colors as it went away. It came from the direction of Nancul to Villarica. It was red for some minutes and then turned violet."

We left the station and under a southern rain headed to the house of Alberto Sandoval, 47, a self-taught cameraman with years of experience, who managed to record the UFO. Upon reaching the property, one of his neighbors told us we could locate him at Radio Pianisima. We reached the station and found him hosting the "Mundialmente Mexico" program, which airs for one hour every morning. Between Mexican ranchero songs, Alberto Sandoval, who has spent some 28 years in radio, confirmed that he had indeed managed to film the UFO. "A neighbor called me and told me to go outside with the camera to film a strange object in the sky. I took out my machine and between the raindrops managed to obtain some images which have a duration of some 5 seconds. "This isn't the first time, said Sandoval, that he has obtained UFO images in the lake region. "In the summer of '95 a neighbor woke me up at 5 a.m. I took my camera and filmed a strange object. The good thing is that the sky was clear. I could see a luminous sphere similar to last night's, only larger."For more information: http://www.diarioaustral.cl/ Translation (C) 2002. Scott Corrales, Institute of Hispanic Ufology.Special Thanks to Gloria Coluchi.


Residents of Sunchales street in the Esteban Echeverria neighborbood did not hesitate to notify the Squad Car Command last night after fist making clear that they were not "seeing things" out of fear. Perhaps it was due to curiosity and uncertainty about the images before their eyes: strange lights changing colors and landing in the vicinity, on the edge of the lagoon, were the reason for the call. The lights further caused other local residents to remain on the lake's shores for forty minutes after the lights had vanished toward the south. Other lights seemed to land in the Monte Brown area and also in the proximity of the Fish and Nautical Club, where guests at a dinner held in the honor of racing fans caused the number of eyewitnesses to be even larger. Translation (C) 2002. Scott Corrales, IHU. Special thanks to Alicia Rossi. From: lornis1@juno.com SOURCE: Diario El Cronista (Chascomús, Argentina) Chascomús, Argentina DATE: Saturday, July 13, 2002 Chascomús, Argentina.

Date: 7/15/2002 July 13, 2002
In the past two weeks, "strange lights' were seen in various locales in the center of Entre Rios Province. Residents of Sola, Rosario del Tala and Mansilla were witnesses to the low-altitude maneuvers of objects they were unable to identify with known phenomena such as airplanes, meteorological events, animals or other elements. Last Saturday night, a resident of Parana filmed 15 lights which spun around in circles for 10 minutes. His home video was seen by some news media as proof of the strange phenomena.

The strangest case involved police officers in two squad cars at the truck stop on the crossroads of routes 39 and 6. The officers, according to a description offered by Diario Uno de Parana, saw how a powerful light made maneuvers in the night skies on Monday, July 1st. It approached the squad cars, producing "sparks similar to those of a photographer's flash"--a colorful spectacle full of "admirable" color bursts.

At a given moment, the light pulled back and the vehicles stopped operating. The engines wouldn't turn over and the lights were off. Half an hour later, when the strange luminosity had vanished completely, the police siren turned on "all of a sudden" and the engines responded to the ignition. The five occupants of both Renault 19 vehicles, one from Rosario del Tala and antoher from the Gobernador Sola sheriff's office, could find no possible explanation to what they saw. When the object came excessively close to the vehicles, the law enforcement personnel reached for their sidearms, but it seems that the strange light was not impressed, since it continued to fly close to the squad cars pursuing it, withdrawing in its own good time, after the photographic flashes. Translation (C) 2002. Scott Corrales, IHU. Special thanks to Alicia Rossi.See the original story at: http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/area/072202-1


In a message dated 7/26/2002 8:36:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dexxa@earthlink.net writes:
What was that bright light in Maryland's sky??? WTOP has learned that residents near Andrews Air Force base were shaken from their beds early Friday morning by some strange activity in the air.

"Incredible. Absolutely incredible" is what Renny Rogers of Waldorf calls it. Just before two in the morning, Rogers says he saw a large blue ball of light streaking across the sky. But it was the military jets that really startled him. "The jets were right on its tail. As the thing would move, a jet was right behind it," Rogers recalls.

He is not the only one who saw it. Several people called WTOP Radio reporting seeing a bright blue or orange ball moving very fast, being chased by jets. Rogers says there was no smoke coming from the object, no flashing lights, and says it was smooth, and eerily silent. The Air National Guard confirms they scrambled the 113th squadron. Spokesman Sheldon Smith says they are investigating and in contact with NORAD


Steve Vogel - Washington Post
Saturday, July 27, 2002

For Renny Rogers, it was strange enough that military jets were flying low over his home in Waldorf, Md., in the middle of the night. It was what he thinks he saw when he headed outside to look early Friday that floored him. ''It was this object, this light-blue object, traveling at a phenomenal speed,'' Rogers said. ''This Air Force jet was right behind it, chasing it, but the object was just leaving him in the dust. I told my neighbor, 'I think those jets are chasing a UFO.' '' Military officials confirm that two F-16 jets from Andrews Air Force Base were scrambled early Friday after radar detected an unknown aircraft in Washington area airspace. But they scoff at the idea that the jets were chasing a strange and speedy blue, unidentified flying object. ''We had a track of interest, so we sent up some aircraft,'' said Maj. Douglas Martin, a spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command in Colorado, which has responsibility for defending U.S. airspace. ''Everything was fine in the sky, so they returned home.''

At the same time, military officials say they do not know what the jets were chasing, because whatever it was disappeared. ''There are any number of scenarios, but we don't know what it was,'' said Maj. Barry Venable, another spokesman for NORAD. Radar detected a low, slow-flying aircraft about 1a.m. Friday, according to a military official. Controllers were unable to establish radio communications with the unidentified aircraft, and NORAD was notified. When the F-16s carrying air-to-air missiles were launched from Andrews, the unidentified aircraft's track faded from the radar, the military official said. Pilots with the D.C. Air National Guard's 113th Air Wing, which flew the F-16s from Andrews, reported nothing unusual, NORAD officials said. ''It was a routine launch,'' said Lt. Col. Steve Chase, a senior officer with the wing, which keeps pilots and armed jets on 24-hour alert at Andrews to respond to incidents as part of an air defense system protecting Washington. Rogers remains convinced that what he saw was not routine. ''It looked like a shooting star with no trailing mist,'' he said. ''I've never seen anything like it.''

Date: 7/28/2002 11:11:33 AM Eastern Standard Time
From: lornis1@juno.com DATE: July 27, 2002. SOURCE: El Fuerte (newspaper), Chascomus, Argentina

Lagoon UFO

A couple that was driving along last night at around 21:00 hours from the SETIA campground toward the city along the peripheral road witnessed a large, sky-blue light moving over the lagoon, changing color and size as it did so. Once this newspaper was alerted, a reporter from this newsroom was able to see the light which at the time remain static over Mt. Brown, seen from the San José Beach Facility. It's color was now red and it gave off flashes. Minutes later a local resident contacted EL FUERTE to say that she had seen the light descend and lose itself behind the treeline. An hour later, at 22:30, two other witnesses saw the phenomenon on Route 20, near the Aeroclub. The object moved slowly westward. This sighting can be added to others which have been taking place in our area in recent weeks. Translation 2002. Scott Corrales, IHU. Special thanks to Alicia Rossi.


Hi,I'd just like to bring to your attention the new revamped site at Ufology UK

Chris Whitlock
Webmaster - Ufology UK feedback@ufology.org.uk

This Issues Selected Picture

Twin UFOs

Please remember that this is your newsletter. Experiences, sightings, pictures, articles, and even advertising a UFO connected event, can be sent in FREE OF CHARGE and be added to the newsletter. Please remember that E-mail addresses will only be displayed by request.

Information from the UFO News UK newsletter may be reproduced for other groups and magazines, but YOU MUST include the source, i.e. UFO News UK and include my e-mail address. Other information displaying contact addresses: permission should be sought from the stated source before using the material.

Back issue's of UFO NEWS UK can be ordered from Anthony James on request.

Don't miss Anthony's column at http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/spotlight/2002/03/ufo_tony_james.shtml

Please remember that UFO NEWS UK is no longer produced and the editor, Anthony James, has changed his e-mail address. Please note that UFOINFO has no way of contacting Anthony.