UFO NEWS UK Volume 1 No. 24

Editor: Anthony James

Volume 1 No. 24

13th August 2002

Editor: Anthony James

UFO News is read in:- Germany, France, Finland, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Brazil, Ireland, South Africa and Croatia, Russia, Portugal, Denmark, Turkey, Italy and the UK. If your country is not mentioned, please let me know.
(If you are reading this on the UFOINFO site and your country is not mentioned please let Anthony know at the e-mail address above)


William E. Jones writes, "I thought your readers should be aware of the Cordell Hull story that alien artifacts were in our hands in 1939." In early December of 1999 the Center of UFO Studies received a letter from the daughter of the Reverend Turner Hamilton Holt: "Today I want to share some knowledge that has been, by request, kept secret in our family since sometime in World War II. This concerns something my father was shown by his cousin Cordell Hull, the Secretary of State under Franklin Roosevelt. snip My father, who was young, brilliant, and sound of mind, told us this story because he didn't want the information to be lost.

One day when my father was in D.C,. Cordell swore him to secrecy and took him to a sub-basement in the U.S. Capitol building, and showed him an amazing sight: (1) Four large glass jars holding 4 creatures unknown to my father or Cordell [and], (2) A wrecked round craft of some kind nearby. "My father wanted my sister and I to make this information known long after he and Cordell were dead, because he felt it was a very important bit of information. We have researched your group and feel it is the most reliable group in the country. We hope that you will research and search this information. The jars with creatures in formaldehyde and the wrecked craft are some where! "Cordell said they were afraid they would start a panic if the public found out about it." Sincerely, Lucile Andrew, Ashland, Ohio.Cordell Hull was one of the greatest statesmen of the 20th Century with absolutely no apparent reason to tell this story unless it was true, especially at a time when stories of flying saucers and their alien drivers had not yet become part of our culture. Hull was elected U.S. Senator 1931-1937, was chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and became the Secretary of State under President Franklin D. Roosevelt in March 1933, the longest in American history until 1944, when he resigned because of ill health. He was also offered the Vice Presidency and in 1945, Cordell Hull won the 1945 Nobel Prize for Peace.

Reverend Holt and Hull were both born in Pickett County and were cousins and friends. Holt attained a Doctor in Theology degree from Ashland Theological Seminary, and was a minister at the Shenandoah Christian Church in Greenwich, Ohio. He was a community leader, and wrote a book entitled Life's Convictionss. He married Vina May Clark and they had three daughters. Two of the daughters claim they had been told about the creatures by their father. Lucile's original letter essentially tells the story as her father told it to her when she was a teenager. Unfortunately, Lucile said that she was too young to really pay much attention to what her father told her but Allene the mother of Eloise, the co-author of this story was told the same story as her sister. Both sisters assured us that they remember the stories independently. Reverend Holt described the entities in the glass jars as "creatures, a term common for his day.." He never referred to them as "aliens" or "extraterrestrials." He never said where they came from. Lucile stated that his experience happened in the "late 1930s," probably 1939.

The material that was nearby the less than four feet tall creatures was described as "silver metallic." She also remembers him referring to the material as being a "vehicle" that appeared to have been taken apart and was "in pieces." He said the color of this material wasn't a color that he had seen before, but for the lack of a better word he used "silver." Reverend Holt was not the sort of person to make up such a wild story and, the sisters feel that by telling the story they are following their father's wishes.

Barbara A. Wolamin, "the curator U.S. Capitol building," chuckled a bit after being told the story. She said, "She had never heard about these creatures being stored at the Capitol, but she did confirm there was a sub-basement that was divided into storage rooms back then. She said that the building had been significantly changed over the years, so in a small way, part of Reverend Holt's story checked out. After Cordell Hull left government service he wrote his memoirs in a two-volume book set. No reference, to this story appeared in these pages, in his papers in the Library of Congress. Numerous experts and libraries were contacted and there has been no confirmation for the story. If four alien bodies and other world technology were retrieved in1939, what would that do to our interpretation of the U.S.

Government's involvement in UFO research? One would assume prior knowledge would have made the government ready for an event like Roswell and that the Roswell retrieval was more efficient because of that. This is a story that truly deserves further investigation.
Thanks to William E. Jones MUFON State Director for Ohio. Dr. Irena Scott and CUFOS International UFO Reporter 2002



On Thursday,13 June 2002 Mr Bob Fetch and his son observed from their property in Tonbridge, Kent, England, an object that they at first though was a childs helium filled balloon. But the object was moving sideways and not upwards, which aroused their suspicions, and it appeared to be disc shaped. Mr. Fetch ran into the house to grab his camera, and with his son ran after the object.

They found themselves in a field behind the Langley Hotel, in London Road, Tonbridge, where they got a good view of the object, and there were several other people out walking their dogs who also saw the object, which was completely silent. Mr. Fetch managed to take one clear photograph of the object in colour, before it silently flew off. They observed it for about ten minutes.

He forwarded the photograph to his local newspaper, the Kent & East Sussex Chronicle, who published in their July 12 edition. So far UFO Monitors East Kent, and UFO Magazine have only seen the picture as it appeared in the newspaper article, but hope to see the hard copy very soon. It shows a disc like object with what looks like an aerial or tower on top, just like the McMinville photographs taken by Paul Trent on 11 May, 1950, in the State of Oregon, USA, and again photographed in Rouen, France in 1954 by a French Airforce pilot. Another witness also from Tonbridge, has come forward to claim that he saw exactly the same object as Mr.Fetch and his son. This other witness says he saw it in the Ashdown Forest area in East Sussex (approx 15 miles SW of Tonbridge). UFOMEK, hope to speak to this witness very shortly.

The photograph taken by Mr.Fetch, shows a tree, and building in the foreground, and according to the newspaper reporter who UFOMEK investigators spoke to, it also shows in the original print the field they were in, as well as a dog. Until we receive the original print we cannot pass judgement on it's total authenticity, but initial work done on the photograph as shown in the newspaper article by Russell Callaghan of UFO Magazine, and independent UFO researcher Jerry Anderson, shows promising results.

If the photograph proves to be genuine, then it could be one of the most important ones ever to be taken in the past 50 years. It will mean that the same or similar object has not only been seen, but also photographed in three different Countries, in a space of 50 years. It could mean that someone on Earth has disc technology that works, or dare it be said, someone from elsewhere. Thanks to Chris Rolfe. UFO MONITORS EAST KENT.


Don Ware reports, "I got a phone report on July 7, 2002, of a UFO sighting over the sound in Gulf Breeze. At 8:15 a ruby red light 1/4 the size of the witnesses thumbnail came down from a stormy sky to the sound and was not seen after it went behind a boathouse. This was right after a strange storm cloud seemed to reverse direction. Thanks to Lt. Col. Don Ware USAF ret.


Guillermo Arias, who provides services in the dependency of the town of Chaj'n, 60 km southeast of Rio Cuarto, was on routine patrol through rurla Chajan at 23:00 hours on Sunday, July 21, 2002, when he heard over the radio that his colleagues in arms over at Achiras were seeing lights in sectors of said community, and that they were heading toward Chajn along Nat'l Route 8, which links the cities of Rio Cuarto, in Cordoba with Villa Mercedes in the province of San Luis Arias. At the wheel of the police patrol van, he managed to see a formation of 7 lights in the distance and decided to drive 10 km along a rural dirt road. When he had covered said distance, he noticed, not without surprise, that the engine of his vehicle sputtered and died, causing the police car to strike the edge of a guard rail.

Simultaneously, the lights on the van's dashboard began turning on and off randomly, the police radio went haywire and its dial displayed the random shifting of the frequencies (channel codes) while the cabin became filled with an acrid odor, as though of burnt wiring, and the interior lights and stop indicator, which were broken, began lighting on and off. Seized by fear, Arias leaped from the van and walked away a few meters down the road, losing his cellphone in the escape.

The darkness was total, when suddenly, amid the [confusing] situation, an immense light emerged from a field adjacent to the road as a triangular object rose majestically into the air. Now, [the officer's] condition went from fear to abject terror as he saw what he described as a real "floating city" some 200 meters long with a long row of windows (perhaps as many as 100). Arias claims having seen something move behind them, describing the movement as "TV sets which make lines and shadows" (sic), which he defined as "non-human", and that many beams of light came out of the giant triangle, aimed at the ground. The event lasted 2 or 3 seconds, but Arias "it felt like an eternity to him."

The object suddenly rose and sped away, vanishing behind the hills of a local field. Arias's statement indicates that while the object moved away, the entire sector was lit "as though it were daytime", since he could clearly make out farms, fields, barbed wire fences, etc. and that the afterglow lasted another 20 minutes.

Recovering from his nervous condition, he returned to the vehicle and notified his comrades of the experience, receiving radio instruction that reinforcements were being set out. In the darkness, he heard the cellphone ring, and that is how he found it in the darkness: his wife was trying to find him and his fellows. He told her briefly about what had happened and sat down to wait for the expected assistance. Patrolman Barrios from Achiras was trying to keep him calm over the raido, while Sgt. Medina, who was the first to arrive on the scene, and Sgt. Cordoba were among the subofficers who reached the area to lend aid to their comrade in distress.

Meanwhile, other police elements radioed the incident to their superiors at Regional Unit 9 at Rio Cuarto. After learning the details, these superiors issued specific directions. In this regard we add that today, Monday noon, the senior officers of said police unit reported to Chajn to order a medical exam for Sgt. Arias and a subsequent re-creation of the events, for which they returned to the scene.

There was news coverage from Rio Cuarto Channel 13, LV-16 Radio Rio Cuarto and numerous FM stations of this city interviewd members of the C.O.R to learn further aspects of this spectacular incident. Translation (C) 2002. IHU. Special thanks to Mario Luis Bracamonte, COR.


(For Renny Rogers) It was strange enough that military jets were flying low over his home in Waldorf, Maryland (population 22,312) in the middle of the night. It was what he thinks he saw when he headed outside to look early Friday, July 26, 2002 that floored him. It was this object, this light-blue object, traveling at a phenomenal rate of speed. Rogers said, 'This Air Force jet was right behind it, chasing it, but the object was just leaving him in the dust. I told my neighbor, I think those jets are chasing a UFO."

Military officials confirm that two F-16 jets from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland were scrambled early Friday after radar detected an unknown aircraft in Washington area airspace. But they scoff at the idea that the jets were chasing a strange and speedy blue unidentified flying object.

"We had a radar track of some interest, so we sent up some aircraft," said Major Douglas Martin, a spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado, which has responsibility for defending U.S. airspace. 'Everything was fine in the sky, so they returned home."

At the same time, military officials say they do not know what the jets were chasing, because whatever it was disappeared. "There are any number of scenarios, but we don't know what it was,' said Major Barry Venable, another spokesman for NORAD."

"Radar detected a low, slow-flying aircraft about 1a.m. Friday July 26, 2002, according to a military official. Controllers were unable to establish radio communications with the unidentified aircraft, and NORAD was notified." "When the F-16's carrying air-to-air missiles were launched from Andrews, the unidentified aircraft's track faded from the radar, the military official said, speaking on the condition that he not be identified."

"Pilots with the" District of Columbia "Air National Guard's 113th Wing, which flew the F-16's from Andrews, reported nothing out of the ordinary, NORAD officials said, "It was a routine launch," said Lieutenant Colonel Steve Chase, a senior officer with the Wing, which keeps pilots and armed jets on 24-hour alert at Andrews to respond to incidents as part of an air defense system protecting Washington after the Sept. 11 (2001) terrorist attacks."

Rogers remained convinced that what he saw was not routine. "It looked like a shooting star with no trailing mist," he said, "I've never seen anything like it." (See the Washington Post for July 27, 2002, "F-16s pursue unknown craft over region,"


On July 27 at about 22:39, three relatives of mine, Mr & Mrs Whetton and Mrs Mareen Coft and myself were outside on the Top Valley Estate, Nottingham, when we noticed a bright light about three times brighter than Jupiter. It travelled North and we watched it for about three minutes. It was about a mile high and must have been the size of a house or slightly smaller. There was no sound at all. It was round yellow light which travelled at about he same speed as a satelite. The object wobbled as it travelled and seemed to sped up and slow down at will. After about three minutes, it fizzled out to nothing, a bit like a dying torch light.

We all thought it was remarkable as we could not explain it. We saw conventional aircraft in the sky at the same time and it was nothing like these. Name supplied - withheld by request.


In the past hour I have learned the details of a very unusual set of circumstances taking place over Cincinnati early this morning on Tuesday, July 30, 2002. Here are some brief details and if anything additional surfaces a more in-depth report will be provided later.
Apparently, around 1:30 a.m, an unusual bright light was seen over the city by many people. The event was reported by numerous news media outlets including 700 WLW A.M. Radio and the FM station 102.9 WEBN. I placed a call to the newsroom of 700 WLW and the person taking the call said that the National Weather Service advised that the object was a meteor.

Cincinnati resident Joedy Cooke overheard discussion of the sighting on WEBN radio. Cooke said the discussion focused on the object 'holding stationary' and the announcers at the station advanced conjecture that the National Weather Service conclusion was premature. Also in response to a tip that the North College Hill Police Department had acquired an in-car videocam recording of the object, researcher Donnie Blessing, MUFON's State Section Director for Southern Ohio, has traveled to the department to speak with police officials concerning a possible video document and was able to confirm the existence of this video recording. She is working now to obtain this video and more information will follow later. Thanks Kenny Young.


(Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002)
Hello...I found your site (Newsletter) in yahoo search engine ....had a very clear sighting of a metallic ball hovering over the city of Derby. The ball was a perfect sphere a bit bigger than a car. The sighting was about three weeks ago. My work mate was traveling in the car with me and he spotted it first. We pulled over to get a better look at it and it was perfectly still in the air about half a mile in the sky, then it shot straight up at a rediculous speed and came to an abrupt stop....probably about a mile up and then shot straight down at high speed again and stopped dead....then went into nearby clouds as if it knew it had been seen...I've always been relatively open minded about these matters....I mean, after all, space is a big place.

I really can't get over the fact that there wasn't a report in the papers or local news about the OBJECT ??? 100's if not 1000's of people must of seen it...it was a really sunny clear day....i was actually in Castle Donnington looking towards the City of Derby where the object was ...we were driving back to Nottingham where we both live. My friend was relatively calm about the whole encounter, I must say I was very intrigued and was trying to reason it out all the way home....he agreed it wasn't anything he'd ever seen ...and couldn't compare it with anything that fly's in the sky....he did actually look quite shocked...probably because he couldn't explain it either....

The reason I'm so intrigued about the whole sighting is that it matches the description of a sighting an RAF officer had from a report I read from a Ufologist I met in Norwich...who was studying at the Uni ...

Kind Regards Rich

You can place my e-mail address with it if you like...for any feed back. richohue@hotmail.com


I had a very strange sighting myself on Sunday 4th August. Last Sunday, at 10:35a.m., my wife and I were outside having a coffee in our back garden when I saw what I can only say was a cigar shaped object. It was flying strangely enough like the wings of an airliner without the body, not like the body without wings.

My first thought was that it was an eagle with out-stretched wings. Then it occurred to me that I should not be seeing an eagle. The last time I saw eagles fly was when we were in Nevada and I became familiar with how they circle, change course and what they looked like high in the sky. Even in the big blue Nevada sky, I could make out the 'finger' feathers at the end of their wings.

This tube I was looking at was jet black, silent and moved in a straight line from South to North and was clearly visible for a good 60 seconds or more. There was a lovely blue sky with the odd large white fluffy cloud here and there. This tube had defined edges and I'm sure I saw the full picture. This was not an airliner, an eagle or any type of bird, it moved in a straight line covering miles of sky in about 1 minute and was totally silent. Another point I would like to add is, we live under a major flight path and I watch airliners pass over everyday, especially when walking the dog, and all the time I can hear them as they pass over. Come to think of it, I remember walking the dog after September 11th last year, and the following few days, I didn't see any airliners at all, now that was strange! That shows that I'm fully aware of what's flying above me. Being a Ufologist, I've trained my self to go through a typical check list of what it could be, after 20 seconds, I could still not identify this black tubular object. Conclusion - although my wife and I saw this black tube, we could not figure out what it was, placing the object into the catagory of a UFO, this does not mean that it was an alien spacecraft, but I'm puzzled by what I saw.
Anthony James UFO NEWS UK


Dozens of peasants saw a UFO's landing on a field at Kozyaka Village , Trikala-Greece. Athens News Agency (A.N.A.), bulleted the incident as 'The flying object which peasants saw was a disc shaped and 10 meters in diameter with hundreds of small ports on it, and had landed and left traces on the field, also harmed the crops of the field'. This important incident took place on Wednesday the August 07th during the morning hours...

Agency announced, even though how unbelievable the incident may sounds, the flying saucer was also sighted by hundreds of villagers from the neighbor villages too and villagers described the flying saucer as an object which causing enormous light reflections and making unusual maneuvers in the sky while they were watching it.

A.N.A. Agency also announced the sightings of UFO's have been reported by the locals past several days and the short visiting of the UFO is considered as usual incident by the villagers from the area...

Sirius UFO Space Sciences Research Center from Istanbul- Turkey is making necessary arrangements and contacts to gather further info. and findings...

Best regards,

Office Management. Sirius UFO Space Sciences Research Center


12/08/02 Travelling from Gothenberg on Ryan air flight. over North sea At approximately 13.30 we were at 37,000 feet when below us a white missile shaped object was travelling in the opposite direction at incredible speed. from sighting almost parallel to our aircraft to the object clearing the horizon was about 30 seconds. The object left no trails and there were no signs of jet or rocket propulsion. later we saw a conventional aircraft at the same height and in comparison this aircraft was moving at roughly 50 times slower than the previous object and was at least 10 times smaller. Thanks to Ron Peploe.

Just In!!! 13.8.02.
By VICKIE YORK Serov, Russia

Hundreds of awestruck eyewitnesses reportedly watched in shock and disbelief as at least 36 UFOs waged a spectacular dogfight above a Russian air base! The incredible aerial battle, which took place at an altitude of about 5,200 feet, was seen by witnesses not prone to hysteria or exaggeration, including members of the Russian air force, military intelligence officers and two visiting foreign journalists, from Poland and Latvia.

"For approximately 12 minutes, the sky was ablaze with death rays fired from the battling starships," says Polish news reporter Igor Wroclawski, who was there to cover an air show scheduled for the next day. "Several of the craft that were hit appeared to be damaged by the rays and one of them caught fire and crashed into the mountains." The dogfight erupted at 2:05 a.m. on May 11 at an air base near Serov, at the foothills of the Ural Mountains, according to Wroclawski. Radar first detected two groups of massive objects entering Russian air space, one from the northeast, the other from the west, like giant schools of fish. "The base was put on full alert," says the correspondent, who first told his story on Polish radio.

"When I went outside in my pajamas, some of the soldiers were standing there, pointing up in the sky," says Wroclawski. "I looked up and I could see dozens of saucer-shaped objects circling overhead." The unidentified vessels appeared to be about 90 feet in diameter, he said. Within minutes of the initial radar sightings, the two sets of flying discs opened fire "The weapons were as deafening as thunder and they lit up the entire night sky," says Wroclawski. "It was terrifying to watch." After 12 minutes, one fleet of UFO's took off to the south, with the other group in hot pursuit.

Wroclawski claims he snapped a photo of the air duel, but it was seized by intelligence officers. The Russian government emphatically denies the report, claiming there have been no recent sightings of UFOs at any Russian installations. But U.S. intelligence sources aren't buying it. "If a UFO really did crash in the Ural Mountains, you can bet the Russians are going to keep it secret until they have a chance to salvage any alien technology they can," a CIA source observed.

This Issues Selected Picture

Russia November 2001

Please remember that this is your newsletter. Experiences, sightings, pictures, articles, and even advertising a UFO connected event, can be sent in FREE OF CHARGE and be added to the newsletter. Please remember that E-mail addresses will only be displayed by request.

Information from the UFO News UK newsletter may be reproduced for other groups and magazines, but YOU MUST include the source, i.e. UFO News UK and include my e-mail address. Other information displaying contact addresses: permission should be sought from the stated source before using the material.

Don't miss Anthony's column at http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/spotlight/2002/03/ufo_tony_james.shtml

Please remember that UFO NEWS UK is no longer produced and the editor, Anthony James, has changed his e-mail address. Please note that UFOINFO has no way of contacting Anthony.