On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 August 26

1893 - In Leslie, Kentucky thirty minutes after sunrise the sun took on a "peculiar color" and the sky became filled with thousands of discs, the size of wagon wheels, in motion. They would change shape into triangles, squares, and odd forms. They were various colors, including red, green, black, and red. (Source: Jerome Clark, International UFO Reporter, April 2003, p. 19, citing the Arizona Republic, August 27, 1893).

1947 - At 12:30 a.m. ten kilometers southwest of Fkenberg, Sweden the pilot and co-pilot of a DC-3 Swedish postal plane saw a UFO that looked like a green parallelogram. They watched it for 8-10 seconds. (Sources: K. Gosta Rehn, UFOs Here and Now, p. 62; Jan Aldrich, Project 1947: A Preliminary Report on the 1947 UFO Sighting Wave, p. 144).

1947 - Late in the day two private pilots flying over Mexico, Missouri sighted three gray discs flying rapidly toward the northwest. They tried to chase them in their plane, but were quickly outdistanced. (Sources: Jan Aldrich, Project 1947: A Preliminary Report on the 1947 UFO Sighting Wave, citing the Mexico Weekly Ledger, August 28, 1947; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case 1256, citing Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. 1947 (Volume 6), p. 31.

1951 - The driver of a transcontinental train in Australia, on the east/west line, saw a flying object at four o'clock in the morning that illuminated the countryside like a full moon. It flew very fast, came close to the train, appeared ready to land in the desert, then took off and disappeared. (Source: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, p. 196).

1951 - At Ellington AFB, Texas a radar operator made a visual sighting of a nocturnal light at 1:18 a.m. The UFO zig-zagged many times, then shot up to a very high altitude, blinking at two second intervals. (Source: Project Grudge Report #1, November 30, 1951).

1952 - At 12:10 a.m. USAF Captain D.A. Woods sighted a large, round, very bright object with a V-shaped contrail in Lathrop Wells, Nevada. It had a dark cone in the center. The object flew very fast, stopped and hovered, made an instantaneous 90-degree turn, and began a gentle climb followed by a final sudden acceleration. (Sources: Project Blue Book files counted in official statistics, case 1986; Don Berliner, Project Bluebook UFO Unknowns; Kevin D. Randle, Invasion Washington: UFOs over the Capitol, p. 280).

1952 - At Watkins Glen, New York a "flying saucer" dove into a lake, splashing water eight to ten feet high. (Source: Ivan T. Sanderson, Invisible Residents, p. 226, citing Buffalo Evening News, August 26, 1952).

1954 - Rev. W. L. Shelton saw two domed ellipses in Danville, Virginia at 6:15 a.m. They were 20-feet wide, 8-feet thick, and glowed silver and orange. The orange glow extended about ten feet. They hovered at first, then climbed vertically at a terrific speed side-by-side while getting brighter. He observed them for two minutes. (Sources: Project Blue Book files counted in official statistics, case 3182; Don Berliner, Project Bluebook UFO Unknowns; Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. 1954: June-August, p. 93).

1955 - On this day many witnesses in Guarenas, Venezuela saw a silver orb zipping back-and-forth and hovering over the town, making a humming sound. The witnesses reported feeling a tickling sensation. (Source: Morris K. Jessup, The UFO Annual, p. 355).

1955 - There were three reports of unusual humanoids in Ohio on this date, two from Hamilton County and one from Franklin County. A child with the last name Perry, in Camp Washington, Ohio was reported in hysterics after seeing a "green man" at the window in the evening. Several people in Mount Air, Ohio saw a dwarf creature that night. A man from Cheviot, Ohio called Donna Meiers to tell her that he had experienced a similar incident involving a "little man" about the same time as the Winton Woods encounter. (Sources: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, cases A0383, A0385, A0386; Cincinnati Times-Star, August 27, 1955; Leonard H. Stringfield, Inside Saucer Post...3-0 Blue, p. 63).

1957 - At 10:00 p.m. an ovoid object was seen flying in the southwestern sky in Monroe County, Pennsylvania over the Poconos Mountains. It was emitting green beams of light. (Source: Loren E. Gross, The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse: UFOs: A History. 1957: August-September, p. 53).

1964 - At 9:20 p.m. a red ellipsoid pulsated as it flew over Melrose, Massachusetts. It had an orange-red halo, as seen through a telescope. It made no sound. (Source: Raymond E. Fowler, UFOs: Interplanetary Visitors, p. 330).

Melrose, Massachusetts - 1964

Sketch of Melrose, Massachusetts 1964 sighting

1965 - At 1:30 a.m. Hector Crespo, a highway engineer, his son Urgenio, and Francisco Lopez were approaching Zhulleng, 11 miles from Cuenca, Ecuador when they saw two beams of bright light shining up into the sky. On going to investigate what they believed was a car wreck; they found a circular object 20 feet in diameter, with a transparent dome on top. A bright amber light kept flashing around the edge, and flickering red and blue beams were shining downwards. The three men approached to within 60 feet of the UFO, and could see through an open doorway instruments and lights inside it. Three human-like figures were seen outside the object, one apparently adjusting the light beam projector, and the other two handing him tools. They all moved very slowly, “as if under water.” They were dressed in metallic-looking, silvery white, close-fitting coveralls, with wide white belts, dark epaulets, and shiny helmets. At one point two of the “men” turned and looked directly at the spot where the witnesses were watching from, as though knowing the operation was being observed, but simply returned to the repairs. The object stood on telescopic legs with curved dish-like footpads, although they were uncertain as to whether there were three or four legs. Crespo’s son became so frightened that he became nauseated, so they went back to their car. After awhile they saw the object take off, and the light moving around the edge was now a brilliant red and the vertical white beams had been extinguished. Just before it “took off like lighting,” it became too bright to look at. (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case # 1965-43 (A0657), citing Wendelle C. Stevens, Saga UFO Report, Spring 1975).

1966 - In Gaylesville, Alabama at 8:50 p.m. Mr. and Mrs. Funk and their three children witnessed a cluster of four small, glowing, orange-yellow lights in a triangular formation, moved from east to west for 4.5 minutes. (Source: Don Berliner, Project Bluebook UFO Unknowns).

1967 - At 2:00 a.m. Marine Private Esteban D. Cova was just leaving the hangar at Maquetia Airport, Venezuela when he was accosted by a little man about three feet tall who was covered with wiry hair. The little man had a very large head, bulging eyes, and made a deep whistling sound that gave the witness a prickling sensation throughout his body. The little man then spoke in Spanish, asking Cova, "Won't you come with us? We need one more." Cova passed out. (Sources: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1967-85, citing APRO Bulletin, September-October 1967; Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case # 873, citing Coral & Jim Lorenzen, UFOs over the Americas, p. 79).

1967 - Driving on the highway to Maturin, Venezuela on this morning Mr. Saki Macharechi saw what appeared to be a large bird flying overhead. When it landed near a bridge he took it to be a heron, but when he got closer he saw that it was a small human-like figure. He passed within ten feet of the creature. Frightened, he stepped on the gas and drove away. (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1967-84, citing APRO Bulletin, September-October 1967; Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case # 873, citing Coral & Jim Lorenzen, UFOs over the Americas, p. 78).

1968 - Needham, Alabama. A bright ovoid object with three luminous bands was encountered on the road at 12:30 a.m. A scraped, burned area was found later at the landing point. (Source: Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II. A Thirty Year Report, p. 264, citing NICAP files).

1968 - Awakened by a flapping noise outside, hospital receptionist Maria Cintra in Lins, Sao Paulo State, Brazil opened the door to find a “foreign looking woman” wearing white light colored, shiny clothes, and a tight fitting hood, and holding an engraved glass bottle and a mug. Mrs. Cintra filled these for her from the drinking fountain. While she did so, the woman placed her hand on the witness shoulder and repeated several times the word “Rempaua.” Then the woman went out and entered a luminous, pear-shaped UFO craft, shaped with a flat bottom that was hovering 3 feet above the hospital’s lawn. Another person also saw the craft. It took off and climbed slowly in a spiral, with a repetition of the flapping sound. (Sources: APRO Bulletin, July-August 1968, p. 6; Coral & Jim Lorenzen, UFOs: The Whole Story, p. 291; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case # 1968-60, citing Dr. Max Berezowski for APRO).

1968 - Two discs were spotted atop each other on a mountain peak in Gleeson, Arizona at 7:50 p.m. There were scorched plants and burned grass found at the site. (Sources: Gordon I. R. Lore, Jr., Strange Effects from UFOs, p. 55; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II. A Thirty Year Report, p. 264, citing NICAP files).

1972 - A man was driving down the highway in Rural, Illinois on this night when a bright light in the sky caught his attention. He followed it to where he saw a disc-shaped craft descend and hover close to the ground. A door opened in the craft, and an angled plank slid down from it from the doorway to the ground. Several slim humanoid figures wearing coveralls began to exit the craft. The witness crept up to it and suddenly the outer rim slid aside, following the curve of the craft, exposing transparent cylinders, which looked to be incubators with infants inside them. As the witness stared at them in disbelief, one of them opened its eyes and smiled at him, and he smiled back, then a look of distress came upon its face as if it appeared to be having trouble breathing. The man proceeded to pound on the glass, trying to break it open, and then picked up a rock intending to smash it open, but he abruptly felt himself being lifted up, from his two sides, away from the craft. He believes that the aliens knew he had been trying to help, and were glad that the noise he created alerted them to the apparent problem with the incubated hybrid. His memory ends at this point with an ensuing period of missing time. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Sighting Reports database, citing UFO Watch).

1974 - In Feignies, Nord Department, France at 9:00 p.m. Mr. & Mrs. Moret watched a round black orb, outlined by a faint white luminous corona, split in two. The sphere was about 200 meters away and it slowly descended to hover 20 meters above the ground before it split vertically into two "half moons", one of which flew off to the south-southeast and was lost from sight. The other half remained in place, and figures in helmets were seen moving about inside. A sort of veil was drawn across it, and two "cosmonauts" clad from head to foot in a whitish-gray metallic material, and wearing large helmets, were then seen moving in it. The witnesses watched them for 40 minutes, during which time the UFO remained stationary. The diameter of the original ball was about 25 feet, and the UFOnauts' were estimated to be five-feet tall. (Sources: Lumieres dans la Nuit, January 1976 (issue 151), pp. 10-11; Jean Marie Bigorne, FSR, May 1976, p. 25; Michel Figuet & Jean-Louis Ruchon, OVNI: Le premier dossier complet des rencontres rapprochees en France, p. 511; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1974-36(A1351)).

1975 - At 2:20 a.m. two witnesses in a truck on a highway in Sidi Embarek, Algeria watched a two-meter wide disc-shaped object illuminate the area for miles around. It flew at only 25 meters altitude at a speed of 200 kph, and made sudden stops. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 11389, citing Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue 316).

1975, near Buffalo, North Dakota - Sandra Larson, age 32, and her daughter Jackie, age 15, were being driven from Fargo to Bismarck, North Dakota by Jackie's boyfriend when they heard a loud rumbling, thunder-like noise around 4:00 a.m. and saw eight glowing orange spheres descend from the sky. The objects stopped in mid-air, and three of the objects shot back upwards. Sandy had a peculiar feeling as though the car was motionless, and at the same time Jackie suddenly found herself in the back seat with no memory of how she got there. When they got to a gas station they discovered that an hour of time was unaccounted for. Later, under hypnosis, Sandra recalled having been "floated" from the car into a UFO, where a six-foot tall being (1.8 m) with a mummy-like head bandaged up in tape, with the eyes remaining visible, had performed some sort of surgical operation on her on a medical table. She had the sensation that even her brain had been briefly removed. This being had a luminosity around its head and shoulders, and it had long metallic-appearing, mechanical arms. Its body was like "brown vinyl." No communication with the being was recalled. (Sources: Jerome Clark, Saga UFO Report, August 1976, p. 21; Skylook, March 1976, p. 10; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1975-28, citing Jerome Clark and Dr. R. Leo Sprinkle).

1976 - Enrique Mercado Orue of Cerro De La Estrella, Mexico City, Mexico was taken onboard a UFO after being instructed to go to an isolated area. He described everything he saw onboard the craft as very quaint and simple, not at all sophisticated looking. He also saw what appeared to be a star-map on a wall. Inside the craft he met human-like occupants of different statures. Some were over two meters tall, but others were much shorter than that. The women were generally shorter than the men; they were described as beautiful and well built, wearing form-fitting outfits, which seemed metallic in texture. He traveled onboard the “spacecraft” for what seemed like a short distance, and did not go to another planet. He was shown a guest room where he was allowed to sleep comfortably. Later, he was given four crackers to eat and a small glass of a substance resembling wine. He was told that what he ate would last for four days. Among many things the humanoids told him was that they believed “in a higher being.” (Source: Albert S. Rosales, 1976 Humanoid Sighting Reports database, citing Fabio Picasso).

1976 - Four men--Weiner, Foltz, and Rak (including a set of twins)--had gone out night fishing in a canoe during a camping trip on East Lake in the Allagash Waterway, Maine when at around 9:00 p.m. one of them became aware of being watched. He turned around and saw a huge, bright, multicolored sphere of light rising from below the treeline. When one of the men shined a flashlight at the object, it began to approach their canoe slowly. A tube-shaped beam of light was emitted from the object and hit the water. The object and the beam of light began approaching the four men and all four of them began to paddle frantically toward shore, trying to get away. At this point they lost all conscious memory of what happened next. Later, under hypnosis all four remembered being levitated up from their canoe and into the hovering craft via a hollow tube-like beam of light. Inside the they encountered several short dark gray-colored humanoids with large oval-shaped heads and huge, black, almond-shaped eyes. They all wore metallic uniforms and were described as somewhat insect like. The men were made to undress and sit on a plastic like bench. The humanoids then looked into each of the men’s eyes and mouths with a pencil size rod with a light on its tip. Then each was made to lie on an exam table where each was examined with several handheld and large scanning machine like instruments. Samples of bodily fluids were taken from all four men. Later, after several hours, they were floated back down into their canoe. (Sources: Raymond E. Fowler, The Allagash Affair; Alan Baker, p. 17; Albert S. Rosales, 1976 Humanoid Sighting Reports database, case # 1134, citing Raymond E Fowler, MUFON UFO Journal, issue 300).

1977 - The witness in Fontanigorda, Liguria, Italy was having difficulty sleeping and got up at 4:15 a.m. when he noticed through some partially opened blinds a very bright white light approach and stop a few meters away. Moments later two figures with gold-colored faces appeared in front of the light. The light then moved to the right side near the curtains, which were the only things separating the witness from the phenomenon. Next, one of the humanoid figure started to enter his bedroom through the curtains; it had an oval-shaped head with an upside-down, triangle-shaped light on the top part of its face. The witness yelled out, causing the figure to leave, leaving a faintly luminous handprint on the curtains. Soon after this, two more figures were heard walking by. Finally, the lights and the figures vanished. Investigators reportedly found ground traces. (Sources: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact database, case # 1530, citing Maurizio Verga, ITACAT, case # 99; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 12310).

1978 - At ten o'clock in the evening two witnesses in a car in Hyannis, Massachusetts on Cape Cod watched an oval-shaped craft hovering low over the US Route 6 road. Within the craft several figures could be seen moving about behind several rectangular windows. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 2358, citing Raymond E. Fowler).

1979 - Two men in Sitio Dentro, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil were walking back home late at night when they saw a huge bright light appear above them, illuminating the area like daytime. They looked up and saw a huge object coming towards them. They could see two beings inside the craft through a transparent window. The beings could be seen from the waist up and looked nearly identical to each other. Both men ran behind a house and squatted by a wall, trying to hide from the UFO. It then passed over a nearby bar making a very loud noise. The next morning they discovered that the roof of the bar had been tore off and several rafters had been broken. One of the men felt sick for three days after the encounter. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1979, case # 2594, citing Bob Pratt, UFO Danger Zone).

1982 - A deer hunter in a hammock in a tree at night, in the jungle in Cocalinho, Maranhao State, Brazil, waiting for deer, was zapped by a beam from a nocturnal ball of light at around 6 a.m. He became sick, laid down, and died shortly thereafter. (Source: Jacques Vallee, Confrontations: A Scientist's Search for Alien Contact, pp. 187, 207).

1984 - At a lake near Danbury, Connecticut a witness encountered a UFO and lost 30 minutes of conscious memory; felt "inspected-rejected." (Source: J. Allen Hynek & Philip Imbrogno, Night Seige, p. 204).

1993 - At 9:45 p.m. a glowing UFO was sighted hovering just over the moor at Ivybridge in Plymouth, England. Figures were seen walking around underneath it. (Source: UFO Newsclipping Service, September 1993).

1995 - On this night a man in Piracicaba, Sao Paulo State, Brazil encountered three 50 cm tall humanoids wearying white coveralls and helmets with antennas. One carried a pen-like instrument, which he pointed towards the witness who fled on his motorcycle. When he looked back he saw the humanoids walking towards a landed luminous round object. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1995, citing GEPUC Brazil).

1998 - The crew of a DC-10 flying over France observed the fast passage of six luminous points of light in tight formation for 10 seconds at 12:32 a.m., with a single trail. The flight was horizontal, but described an arc of 90° in just 10 seconds, which was judged to be a supersonic speed. (Source: GEIPAN, case 1998-297).

1999 - At 10:00 p.m. in Monkton, Strathclyde, Scotland a bright blue flash was seen overhead, and the blue ball of light shot down to just feet above a couple's car, where it hovered for a number of seconds. The couple was frightened but unharmed. (Source: UFO Magazine (UK), January 2000, p. 76).

1999 - At three a.m. a witness sighted three lights on a triangular object over Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada; it made sharp turns over CFB Suffield. (Source: Geoff Dittman, 1999 Canadian UFO Survey, case # 156, citing Alberta UFO Study Group).

2004 - A lone witness in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada saw two stationary lights in the sky for about an hour, beginning at 3:30 a.m., at which time a haze or fog filled the area and he lost consciousness. He woke up across his yard, with unusual marks on his body, and believing he had been abducted by aliens. (Source: Geoff Dittman, 2004 Canadian UFO Survey, case # 624).

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 21 August 2012).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database.

Themes: abductions with medical exams; free will abduction; hairy dwarf; humming sound; Grey humanoids; human appearing UFOnauts; inside UFO occupants; missing time; mummy-like UFOnaut; near landings; levitation; missing time; multi-year reports from Brazil; orange lights; ovoid UFOs; pacing of railroad train; physical effects: landing traces; physiological effects: nausea and illness, prickling sensations; Saturn-shaped UFO; tickling sensation; round UFO; short humanoids; triangular formation of lights, winged humanoid.

© Donald A. Johnson