On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 May 3

1945 - In the predawn hours a US Army Air Force B-24 bomber flying over Fala Island in the Truk Atoll, the Pacific Ocean encountered two objects with red circles of light, changing color from cherry-red to orange to white lights, and then back to cherry again; they followed aircraft for over an hour while the bomber performed evasive maneuvers; there were no airborne radar returns picked up from the objects. On this evening five orange spheres flying in a triangular formation were sighted by a 415th NFS fighter pilot east of Pfalzerwald, Germany. (Sources: (1) Dominique Weinstein, Aircraft UFO Encounters, p. 8; (2) Richard Hall, From Airships to Arnold: A Preliminary Catalogue of UFO Reports in the Early 20th Century (1900-1946), p. 25: Keith Chester, Strange Company: Military Encounters with UFOs in World War II, p. 163).

1950 - At 3:00 p.m. several girls in Savoyeux-Haute, Haute-Saone department, France saw a large cylindrical object fly rapidly from the south to the north shooting silvery rays. At 4:30 p.m. four discs were sighted by numerous observers in Neuville-sur-Sarthe, Sarthe department, France flying at a low altitude slowly toward the the horizon. They left a trail of smoke. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue 211).

1952 - At dawn in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia at least 13 witnesses, including pilots and the RAAF, witnessed a huge "flying submarine" with flashing lights. It was reported to be huge, three times larger than an airliner. (Sources: Michael Hervey, UFOs over the Southern Hemisphere, p. 45; Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. 1952: January-May, p. 68; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 2147).

1952 - On this day two bright discs played tag in the sky over Warragul, Victoria, Australia. They then joined together, merged into one object, then vanished. (Sources: Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. 1952: January-May, p. 69; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 2146).

1952 - On this evening three men in Chestertown, Maryland heard a strange whooshing noise. Looking up, they saw a black speck, high in the sky, moving back and forth. It went straight up out of sight. (Source: Edward Sullivan, Civilian Saucer Intelligence/Los Angeles investigation files, letter from E. Mifflin dated May 5, 1952).

1956 - At 7:32 a.m. several observers including a Ground Observer Corp member, watched two saucers circle in the sky over Pueblo, Colorado and then "wink out". (Sources: Project Blue Book files, report dated May 3, 1956; Alexander Mebane, CSI-New York News, June 1956, p. 8; Loren E. Gross, The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse: UFOs: A History. 1956: May-July, p. 2; MUFON UFO Journal, issue # 277).

1961 - On or about this date a hemispherical craft with portholes was sighted resting on a road in Union Mills, Indiana. The time was ten o'clock in the evening. It took off when a car came close to it. Its estimated diameter was four meters, height 2.5 meters, and it bore "fluorescent lights." (Sources: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 518; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence, p. 147).

1965 - On this day in Monte Grande, Entre Rios, Argentina a 37-year-old man named F. Martinez claimed to have had a visitation by and communication with two small alien beings, about three feet tall. The witness was transformed intellectually, with subsequent psychic contact, and two cases of healing. (Source: Gordon Creighton, The Humanoids: FSR Special Edition No. 1, p. 40; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case # A0628, citing Charles Bowen, The Humanoids, p. 112).

1967 - At 6:30 a.m. EDT in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania a gray metallic-appearing disc paced ahead of a car being driven by a Mrs. Smyth on the Schuylkill Expressway near Roxborough. The top section of the craft was revolving and a row of windows was visible around the center. A vapor stream was produced, which changed to red sparks. The object shot up into the overcast, and when it did so the witness experienced jaw pain at that moment. (Source: APRO Bulletin, May-June 1967, p. 12; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 268, 338).

1968 - During the evening hours of the night of May 2nd-3rd Miss Shane Kurz, a 19-year-old woman, had watched a luminous cigar-shaped object in the sky for two hours from her home in Westmoreland, New York. It moved in her direction, stopped, then shot straight upward into the sky, turning red in color as it did so. At four o'clock in the morning her mother came into her room and found her lying on top of her bedsheets with her robe and slippers on; both were covered with dried mud, as were her legs. Earlier in the night her mother had found her missing from her bedroom and the door open.

Ms. Kurz stayed out of school for the next two days because of depression and recurrent nightmares. Her eyes were causing her pain, and two reddish ring-shaped marks appeared on her lower abdomen. Her menstrual cycle stopped after this incident and did not return again for a year. Later under hypnosis she remembered that she went outdoors in response to hearing her name called, and saw a saucer with windows and a revolving rim hovering close to the ground. It approached her and lifted her inside with a beam of light, after which she found herself in a bare white room. A man shorter than her, with no nose, wearing what looked like a dark "motorcycle jacket" and another being, a "doctor" in a long coat, forced her onto an exam table. He inserted a long needle into her navel. A third being, the "leader," next entered the room. The UFOnauts all had very "penetrating" eyes with no pupils. They said to her, "We've watched you. You're the one. We want you as a mate." He also said that they came "from very, very far." The others went out and the leader proceeded to undress her and then rape her. He told her she would not remember. She was floated down to the ground again by a light beam. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1968; David F. Webb and Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1968-26, citing Hans Holzer, The Ufonauts).

1969 - On this day in the city of Osasco, Sao Paulo, Brazil a man photographed a saucer-shaped object. It made rapid maneuvers in all directions; a door on the craft opened and a strong beam of light came out. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 8834, citing FSR Case Histories, issue # 7).

1971 - At 10:10 p.m. in Stara Cervka, Slovenia an eight-meter long egg-shaped object landed on three legs for five minutes. It spiraled upward on takeoff. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 9805, citing FSR, volume 30, number 3 and FSR, v24, #3).

1973 - Many observers in the towns of Pitten and Wingene, West Flanders, Belgium witnessed a large red globe at 4:30 p.m. accompanied by tornado like winds. (Source: J. Bernard Delair, UFO Register, volume 5 (1974), case # 236, citing J. Bonabot).

1973 - On this night at 9:45 p.m. Mrs. Sigrid Karlsson and her son Robert saw an object illuminated by a red light hovering over their neighbor's house in Mantorp, Ostergotland, Sweden. It looked like two saucer plates, separated by a row of broad windows, and it made a loud hissing sound. Robert thought he could see two men inside. As it got closer, its light became yellow-white. (Sources: UFO Information Sweden, May 1973, p. 2; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case # 1973-91 (A1202), citing Canadian UFO Report, #20, 1975; John Magor, Our UFO Visitors, p. P16).

1975 - At 1:30 a.m. a witness in Ashton, Adelaide, South Australia had a close encounter with a blue-green cone-shaped UFO that was making a humming sound. It had light beams and flew off to the west. (Source: Keith Basterfield, UFO Research South Australia, case # SA75008).

1975 - While flying over Lake Tequesquitengo at 1:34 p.m. near Mexico City, Mexico Antonio Santos Montiel, the pilot of a Monteil Piper PA-24, felt a strange vibration, and saw a domed disc three meters in diameter pacing him to his right. There was another identical looking craft on his left. A third disc approached his airplane head on, and he felt a jolt, as if his plane was being lifted. The Mexico City Air Trafffic Control radar showed the UFOs making sharp turns. (Sources: Richard F. Haines, case investigation, report dated August 3, 1975; FSR, February 1976, p. 32; Dominique Weinstein, Aircraft UFO Encounters, p. 50; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 121, 243).

1975 Lake Tequesquitengo, Mexico Close Encounter with Possible Levitation

1975 Lake Tequesquitengo, Mexico Close Encounter with Possible Levitation

1975  - At 9:15 p.m. Alois Olenick, 48, was driving westward on Mogford Road to a nearby store in southern San Antonio, Texas when he saw an amber-colored object rise up from a grove of trees 900 yards away. It then approached his 1959 Chevrolet pickup truck, dropping in altitude, and the main light on the front of the object changed from amber to a blindingly bright, cherry-red light. When it was directly over him it beamed a spotlight on him, and at the same time his truck's lights and engine died, and his truck was nearly buffeted off the road by a strong wind. "When the craft got directly over the top of my pickup," Olenick said, "my lights went completely out and my engine was dead."

He got out and saw a globular craft with two conical protrusions on either side that could have been a central ring (making an overall Saturn shape). The bottom was of "highly polished metal" with a reddish glow. When the UFO tipped at a 37-40 degree angle toward him, he could see that the top half was transparent and that it contained two humanoid occupants, visible by a reddish internal light. They were 5-feet tall or less, with bald heads, large pointed ears, long noses, and slit-like eyes. Their skin appeared smooth and grayish in complexion. They seemed to be handling controls. He said, "They appeared to be just as interested in me as I was in them. One of the occupants, the one farthest away from me, appeared to be the pilot and had his hands on what looked like controls. He was looking up and away from me. The other occupant looked directly at me...and appeared to be observing me. I got a good look at both of them. They weren't human beings like we see here."

There was no sound of a motor coming from the object, but there was a shriek of wind like a cyclone below the craft. Then the UFO turned its lights off and took off staight up, with a gust of wind that buffeted his pickup, and vanished almost instantly. There was an odor "like burning copper or electrical wiring" (he was a sheet metal worker) that persisted inside the truck for some time. His eyes were affected, and he had to wear dark glasses after the effect for some while as a result. (Sources: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case # 1975-23 (A1404), citing Gary Graber, Skylook, February 1976, p. 3; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 382, 461-462, 490).

1975 - At 11:00 p.m. on the highway N165 west of Quimper, Finistere, France a 6-meter diameter sphere with portholes followed a car west at 200 meters altitude. It hid when the car approached towns but came back. It tracked the car for 20 minutes. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case # 11249, citing Jean-F. Boedec, Les OVNI en Bretagne: Anatomie d'un Phenomene, p. 55).

1977 - At 3:55 a.m. police in Hainault Forest, England took an emergency telephone call. The caller said that some strange UFO was over the forest near the small lake. Two policemen were directed to the scene. Arriving, they proceeded along the lake road and noticed a "large bright red light" across on the eastern shore. They stopped, exited their vehicle, and then observed a "bell tent" shaped thing, about 300 yards distant. This object pulsated continuously from dull to very bright red for the next 2 to 3 minutes. The UFO seemed to be hovering silently. Then, as they watched apprehensively, the object appeared to "dissolve on the spot". Because the thing was no longer visible, the officers somewhat reluctantly decided to go across the lake and investigate the spot. As they were doing this, one of them looked up and briefly saw a thin, large, white crescent shape hanging in the sky. This "apparition" also dissolved on the spot. Reaching the location of ground zero, as best they could tell, they found nothing at all, except a strong smell of burning. No cause could be determined. A report was immediately made to the local UFO investigator [The Essex Hotline], and field investigator Barry King came out and interviewed the officer that very night. In daylight, one large bush was found to have damage: it was flattened in the center and slightly burned. The gorse bush appeared to have had a very heavy weight set on top of it, and the result was to break almost all of the limbs, including snapping off the central branch. The pattern of breakage was to displace the branches into an outward radiating splay. No radiation nor magnetic anomalies were found. (Sources: Barry M. King, FSR, August 1977, p. 8; Gary Heseltine, UFO Magazine (UK), July 2003, p. 7; Mke Swords, www.nicap.org/waves/1975fullreport.htm).

1977 - At 9:20 p.m. on a clear night a 29-year-old woman in Wilcox, Elk County, Pennsylvania sighted a large silver sphere near a power plant that had many lights in the middle and was not revolving. It directed a spotlight down, and after 10 minutes shot straight up. There was some kind of animal reaction. (Source: Allan Hendry, International UFO Reporter, June 1977, p. 3).

1979 - A 65-year-old woman named Karlsson had a close encounter with an oval-shaped object in Undenas, Karlsborg Municipality, Vastra Gotaland County, Sweden at 9:00 p.m. It was first seen weaving in and out silently between the trees. It hovered as the witness ran back toward her house, and then shot straight up at very high speed, making two dull explosions like sonic booms. (Source: Acke Svensson, FSR, December 1983, p. 5, citing UFO-Sverige).

1986 - Two witnesses in Bellingham, Washington reported seeing five V-shaped objects that flew in formation, from north to south, and crossed the sky from horizon to horizon in 10 seconds. (Source: Robert Gribble, UFO Reporting Center, case # 1084).

1990 - On this night the public in Chester, England reported seeing strange lights in the sky to police. At 1:00 a.m. two police officers in Backford, near Chester, saw a multicolored (green, red and blue) UFO wobbling in sky, and they watched in amazement. (Source: Gary Heseltine, Police Reports of UFOs, case 147, citing Chester Tonight, May 3, 1990).

1992 - At around midnight three witnesses, members of the Boggs family, in Fordland, Missouri had a close encounter with a dark flying object (estimated to be 8 feet wide by 20 feet long in size) with square windows. At first, 14-year-old Robbie saw a line of bright lights that hung over a slight rise in the pasture, less than 100 yards from their farm house, and maybe ten feet above the ground. Both ends of the line appeared to curve away, giving the impression that the lights were attached to an oval structure of some sort. It flew slowly but directly over their heads at no more than 25 feet. Although they could see the outline of the lights, the object itself was invisible. The UFO then moved on away from the house, passing between two trees with only a few feet to spare. The trees were undisturbed by the proximity of the object. A pole light on the far side of the driveway went out as the UFO approached, the photoelectric switch apparently triggered by the brightness of the object's lights. The object was just beyond this yard light when all of its own colored lights went dark, to be replaced by a single white light shining from the rear. At this same moment the sound that had been coming the the UFO ceased. Surprisingly, the family did not stay outside to watch the UFO depart. They expressed surprise themselves at that fact, that when the colored lights went out they only could recall turning away and going back into the house. (Source: Francis Ridge, www.nicap.org/920503fordlanddir.htm, citing Amateur UFOlogy News, volume 4,  number 9)

1995 - At 4:05 a.m. a trucker driving on Interstate 90 near Amsterdam, New York sighted a domed disc while driving. It had a very bright, white light, so he could clearly see both the lower disc portion and the dome. (Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, 1995 report).

1996 - Police in Nayarit, Mexico reportedly fired a hail of bullets at a creature on this night. Apparently unharmed, it turned about to glare at them with "fiery red eyes" set in a humanoid face. The entity then jumped over a meter high fence and got away. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, 1996 Humanoid Sighting Reports Database, case # 3532, citing Virgilio Sanchez-Ocejo).

1997 - A couple returning from work at 1:30 a.m. in Meilleraye de Bretagne, Loire-Atlantique, France saw a point more luminous than stars. It approached at high speed and the witnesses could see that its shape was round; it passed just above them and then flew away to the south. Air displacement was heard. (Source: GEIPAN, case 251).

2000 - At 2:54 a.m. Rene Ruiz, a 55-year-old man from Orlando, Florida, found himself inside a huge craft surrounded by blinding lights and looking at something resembling an X-ray machine. He also encountered several 6-foot tall humanoids, who had large oval-shaped heads and skin that was grayish in color. However, there was one being who was different; Rene described him as short with a huge head and light blue in color. After lossing recollection of what happened next, Mr. Ruiz found himself back in his home. Subsequently, his body turned a sickly yellow jaundiced color, and he suffered from constant nausea with frequent vomiting. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, 2000 Humanoid Sighting Reports Database, case # 3828, citing UFO Abduction Raw Data Page, UFO Watch).

2002 - In Alvear, La Pampa Province, Argentina several young men were walking home at midnight along a deserted road when out of nowhere a female figure with long black hair appeared in front of them, wearing a light flowing gown. The strange figure was very pale and appeared elderly. It repeatedly asked for assistance from the men in an urgent tone. Terrified, the men ran from the area and later returned with other witnesses, but could find no trace of the strange apparition. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, 2002 Humanoid Contact Database, citing Fabio Picasso).

2003 - At 3:30 a.m. a man was sitting on his back porch in North Richland Hills, Texas looking out at the horse pasture behind his home. The pasture held several horses but he could not see them because they were at the other end of the field. He heard what sounded like the horses kicking a metal sheet and squealing loudly. He also heard dogs barking in the distance. Just as he strained to look over to the horse shed everything became completely quiet. The witness started to feel scared by the eerie silence, and as he stepped off his porch he started to hear a low whirring sound. He next saw a light beam flash on the ground in the middle of the pasture. The source was a black craft, hovering about 100 feet above the ground. It was shooting flashes of light at the ground from a pod on the right end of the craft. The craft had a multicolored mist or hot looking gas on the bottom of it, on the left side was what looked like a red rectangular window. Inside he could see movement, but at that moment he began to feel sick. The craft appeared to be about 50 feet long with a dull blue light on the top. After five minutes the whirring sound faded and the craft hovered silently for another two seconds before it zipped straight up and out of sight without a sound. He then noticed that the electrical power seemed to be off in the neighborhood. (Sources: Albert S. Rosales, 2003 Humanoid Contact Database, citing Peter Davenport, NUFORC; Joan Woodford, www.nicap.org NSID04 cases, citing NUFORC).

2004 - At 8:30 p.m. a witness and son in Dijon, Côte-d'Or, France saw for the second time several yellow and green balls moving in the sky. The BOLs were ten times larger than a star, and were coming together fast. The sighting had a 15 minute duration.(Source: GEIPAN, case 391).

2006 - At 10:35 p.m. a woman coming home from work on rural roads in Franklin, Indiana sighted a triangle shaped object with three lights, one on each apex, and one in the middle, hovering over the Union Elementary School in Union Township. She stopped the car and got out to observe. It was estimated to be 1500 feet in the air, and made absolutely no sound as it hovered. It appeared to be a deep black in color, darker than the night sky, and almost seemed to absorb any light; the lights did not appear to illuminate anything under it. It was near the restricted military airspace for Camp Atterbury, located 20 miles south. She watched until the craft slowly moved off to the northwest. (Source: Peter Davenport, NUFORC, May 2006 webpage, reported May 4, 2006 and uploaded May 15, 2006).

2006 - In Chilliwack, Fraser Valley, British Columbia a very large, silent, dark pyramid-shaped object was sighted at 10:45 p.m. by six witnesses. It was slow moving. The sighting lasted two minutes. (Source: Geoff Dittman, 2006 Canadian UFO Survey, case # 192).

2007 - At 4:23 a.m. a metallic object descended at odd angle and landed in a wooded area in Biglerville, Adams County, Pennsylvania. It stayed there for about 20 minutes before disappearing quickly. No further details. (Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, May 2007 webpage, report uploaded June 12, 2007).

2007 - At 9:30 p.m. a triangular craft was seen hovering over Abingdon, Harford County, Maryland, moving very slowly and silently over a residential neighborhood. It had one row of 3-4 lights lit up on one side of the craft.(Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, May 2007 webpage, report uploaded June 12, 2007).

2010 - A witness walking on the South campus of the University of Nebraska in Omaha, Nebraska reported being chased by a diamond-shaped UFO at 9:17 p.m. The witness reported being frightened, and sheltering by running into the South campus building. "It was a beautiful looking ship but really horrible when they were approaching towards me," the witness wrote. The event lasted four minutes. (Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, May 2010 webpage, reported May 3, 2010 and uploaded May 12, 2010).

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 30 April 2014).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database.

Themes: abductions; aircraft encounters; animal reactions: dogs barking and horses squealing; apparition; cherry-red color; cigar-shaped, cylindrical, or fuselage-shaped UFOs; dome-shaped or hemispherical UFO; Grey UFOnauts; hissing sound; landings; missing time; multi-year reports from the Bretagne region of France, Pennsylvania, and Sweden; occupants; odor or burning or copper or electrical wiring; physiological and psychological effects: jaw pain and eye sensitivity; radar-visual confirmation; rape, sexual encounter with UFO occupants; triangle UFOs; vapor; vehicle ignition EM interference; vertical ascent; whirring sound; whooshing sound.

© Donald A. Johnson