On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 May 31

1947 - A former military photographer claimed that a UFO, 30-40 feet in diameter and about 15 feet in height, crashed near the area of Socorro, New Mexico and was recovered on this day. One occupant of the craft was killed in the crash, while three others allegedly emerged alive. When they were found by the U.S. military, the survivors reportedly made crying-like sounds and clutched box-like devices to their chests. One of them appeared to be injured. The occupants were of small height and had copper based blood. This object was reportedly eventually sent to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio, and ended up at the "Hangar 18" facility. (Sources: Phillip L Rife, It Didn't Start With Roswell; Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1947).

In 1948 at 1:20 in the afternoon, a cigar-shaped object moved through the sky at terrific speed over Wilmington, North Carolina. Mrs. H. D. Alspach reported that the object emitted smoke, appeared about three feet long, veered, slowed down, and then speed away toward the east at a high altitude. (Sources: Wilmington, North Carolina Morning Star, June 1, 1948; Project Blue Book files counted in official statistics, case # 129).

1951, Niagara Falls, New York - A luminous disc with arc-shaped wings rose into the sky at a very fast speed. It was seen by several military witnesses for 35 seconds at 11:20 p.m. This case is a Project Blue Book "unknown." (Source: Project Blue Book files counted in official statistics, case #928).

1952, South of Chorwon, Korea - At 4:20 a.m. pilot Hufberry turned his F-94 jet to descend and intercept a round, bluish white UFO. The F-94's radar locked onto the object, whereupon the UFO made a left turn climb, silhouetting the F-94 against the dawn sky. The UFO accelerated away after the fighter jet made two unsuccessful attempts to pass the UFO. (Source: Richard F. Haines, Advanced Aerial Devices During the Korean War, p. 47).

1955 - At 11 o'clock in the morning on the farm of Messr. Coulange, in Puy St. Gulmier, France a 1.1 meter (5 feet) in diameter luminous white disc hovered vertically only a few meters away from the 74-year-old farmer, and only three meters from the ground. Many multi-colored filaments of light radiated from the UFO. The object rose up, went over the old man's head, and flew out of sight behind some nearby woods. (Source: Jimmy Guieu, Flying Saucers Come from Another World, p. 253).

1957 - At 7:17 a.m. a British Airways airliner flying over Kent, England experienced radio and radar failure when a UFO was sighted. (Sources: Geoffrey Falla, BUFORA Vehicle Interference Project Report, p. 12, citing Flying Saucer Review; Leonard G. Cramp, Piece for a Jig-Saw, p. 148; Dominique Weinstein, Aircraft UFO Encounters, p. 49, citing Geoffrey Falla).

1959 - A man named Priest sighted a reddish orange object with a tapering tail fly over Port Elliot, South Australia at 6:13 a.m. It moved from west to east at 25 degrees elevation in southern sky. (Source: Michael Hervey, UFOs over the Southern Hemisphere, p. 166).

1961 - At noon on this day over Toompang, New South Wales, Australia five men watched a large object hover in the sky while four delta-shaped objects exited and maneuvered around it for over an hour. They finally rejoined it and the large craft flew away. (Sources: Jacques Vallee, Anatomy of a Phenomenon, p. 151; FSR, March 1979, p. 10).

On the 31st of May in 1967 a farm woman living outside of Beausejour, Manitoba, Canada (about 45 miles from Winnipeg) was sitting on her front porch at 11:30 p.m. waiting for her husband to return home. She saw a brilliant red light with a smaller blue light beside it come towards her from the south. The light lit up the ground and appeared to land. She became frightened and ran inside her house. The next morning she and her husband went out to investigate where the object had landed. They found a 30 by 50 yard semi-circular area that was still in flames. The strange fact about this case is that on June 15th the area was still smoldering, despite considerable rain having fallen in the area. Radioactive soil was found at the site. (Sources: James Thompson, "Second Landing in Canada", APRO Bulletin, May-June 1967, p. 2; Winnipeg Free Press, June 21, 1967; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 263, 340; Coral & Jim Lorenzen, Encounters with UFO Occupants, p. 13).

1969 - On this night a large sphere flew erratically in the sky over Sao Paulo, Brazil. It released a smaller sphere which flew away. Several witnesses reported that their cars failed during the sighting, including both the lights and motor. (Source: Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, case 273, citing Contact (UK)).

In 1971 at 1:10 in the afternoon, two witnesses In Newmarket, New Hampshire sighted a grayish white ovoid object, hovering in an upright orientation a few feet above the ground. It had dark portholes around its perimeter, and was in plain view in front of some trees for a few minutes before shooting straight up and out of sight. (Source: Raymond E. Fowler, UFOs Interplanetary Visitors. Jericho, New York: Exposition Press, 1974, p. 357).

Newmarket, New Hampshire - 1971


1972 - Mr. Reeve, a man in his fifties, was driving in the fog in Mannum, South Australia at 6:35 a.m. when he came across a dark oval-shaped object with a red light on one side, a white light on theother, hanging just above the ground. He stopped his car, and the object rose into the fog with a "swish" sound. (Source: Keith Basterfield, UFO Research South Australia, case SA72002).

In 1974 the strange events began early in the morning for a young married couple traveling from Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) to South Africa via Fort Victoria and Beit Bridge. Peter and Frances saw what they thought was a policeman holding a walkie-talkie radio about 10 kilometers south of Umvuma. This is what he seemed to be to Peter, who was driving his Peugeot 404 well in excess of the posted speed limit. As the road was noted for speed traps, he slowed down. The pair of them began to think in more detail about the policeman. The metallic-looking suit seemed queer for a policeman, as they normally wore khaki. The UFO appeared at 2:30 a.m. on the passenger side of the car (left hand side). It appeared fairly close and seemed to keep pace with the car. For a brief while they wondered if it might be a helicopter. It had a bluish tinge, and was flashing bright and steady for 5 seconds, then off for 2 seconds.

The car headlights began to fade next, and there was an immense light around the car. As they drove along it suddenly became very cold in the car. They estimated the drop in temperature to have been between 20 and 30 degrees Fahrenheit, down to less than 50 F. Peter took his foot off the accelerator but the car continued to move forward at an accelerated speed! He tried to apply the brakes but it had no effect, and his steering had no effect on the direction of the car as well.

When they were some 10 km from Fort Victoria the UFO shot off like a shooting star, but it reappeared again about 10 kilometers outside of the city, but this time they also saw a second UFO move into position above the car. Frances fell asleep around 6:15 a.m. just before she feel asleep they lost all sound from the radio. Peter lost all track of time and he remembered nothing from about three minutes after Frances fell asleep. He felt at the time he must have been mesmerized by the road.

At the Customs post at the South African border showed 8:30 a.m. although their watches indicated it was only 7:30 a.m. Peter was also surprised when reading the car's trip odometer. He had reset it to zero at Fort Victoria, but found that it had recorded only 17 km, yet the distance by road was 288 km. He had also filled the gas tank in Fort Victoria and expected to need a full tank when he reached the border, but when he tried to fill the tank it would take only 22 cents worth, which at the time was less than a half gallon. Under hypnosis Frances had no other experiences revealed than those she remembered consciously. Peter, however recalled seeing the inside of the "spacecraft" which had three levels, and interacting with physical beings that he believed could take on any appearance that he wanted them to look like. (Sources: Carl van Vlierden, "Escorted by UFOs from Umvuma to Beit Bridge", FSR, August 1975, pp. 3-10; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, case 367, citing FSR; Skylook, March 1975, p. 3; Richard H. Hall, Uninvited Guests, p. 276).

1975 - At around 9 p.m. an octagonal flying object with an illuminated cross-member, moved very slowly through the sky city sky above London, England. It then vanished while still in view. It was reported by a married couple named Fry. (Source: Jenny Randles, FSR, November 1976, p. 30).

1976 - A 17-year-old man named T. White saw a 5 foot, 6 inch tall humanoid in his backyard in Daw Park, South Australia at around 2:00 a.m. The being wore a silver coverall suit with white boots, a black visor helmet, and had a box strapped to its chest. It flew into a white ellipsoid UFO that made no sound as it left. The household wiring was effected. Unintelligible language was heard as well. (Sources: Keith Basterfield, UFO Research South Australia, case SA 76001; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case A1474, citing Horrie Aspinall & Keith Basterfield).

Daw Park, South Australia Humanoid Report - 1976


1984 - A V-shaped formation of ten to fifteen red lights flew over the Hudson Valley on this night and was seen from several locations. At 8:15 p.m. a V-Shaped formation of 15 lights, estimated to be the size of a Boeing 747 airliner if all connected to one object, passed directly over the home of an IBM engineer in Hawthorne, Westchester County, New York. It made no sound as it passed overhead except a faint humming. All lights simultaneously turned blue, and then made a tight 180-degree turn and flew off to the north. At 8:30 p.m. the same or a similar object was seen from Route 117 in Pleasantville, New York. It was reported to be larger than a football field, and it followed a car being driven on the Taconic Parkway. At 8:45 p.m. the lights were seen by Mr. D. Boyd in Yorktown, New York. An engineer and private pilot, he watched them turn and fly away toward the west. V-shaped or triangular UFOs were also sighted later that night in Fishkill and south Putnam County. (Source: Philip Imbrogno, International UFO Reporter, September 1984, p. 5-7).

1994 - At 2:30 a.m. Mr. Oringdulph of Alamosa, Colorado - the witness of a nocturnal light in the sky earlier that evening - was awakened by a large helicopter hovering directly over his house. As he ran outside it flew away, but a second helicopter hovered low over the end of his street for several minutes. (Source: Christopher O'Brien, The Mysterious Valley, p. 243).

2003 - An ovoid craft was seen in the sky near a shopping center in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia at 8:04 p.m. It shrank and then glowed brightly, and changed color from orange to red It became smaller, then brighter again, then disappeared. (Source: Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, Seattle, May 2003 webpage archive).

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 27 October 2009).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database.

Themes: car pursuits, crash/retrieval of UFO and UFOnauts, landings, photographs and attempted photographing of UFOs, red lights, missing time and possible abduction, multicolored UFOs, multi-year sightings for New York City and environs, multi-year reports for New South Wales and South Australia, oval or ovoid UFOs, red lights, RF radio and radar interference, satellite UFOs around larger UFO, sensation of cold, time and space distortions, vanished UFOs, vehicle EM effects, vertical ascent.

© Donald A. Johnson