On This Day

 Encounters with Aliens on this Day

 November 2

1885 - Scutari, Albania (then called Uskudar, a part of Ottoman Turkey). At dawn a luminous object circled the harbor at an altitude of 56 meters for 90 seconds. It illuminated the entire town with a bluish-green glow. It made several circles above the ferryboat pier then plunged into the sea. (Sources: Ivan Sanderson, Invisible Residents, p. 34; Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, p. 181).

1951 - At 7:15 a.m. an American Airlines DC-4 passenger plane was followed by a bright green glowing cigar shaped object east of Abilene, Texas. The object paced the airliner for about one minute. It then burst into pieces that looked like red fireballs, which scattered in all directions. (Source: Donald E. Keyhoe, Aliens from Space…The Real Story of Unidentified Flying Objects, p. 204).

1951 - Later that same night, two forest observers were driving in a canyon 50 kilometers north of the Mojave Desert in California when they saw around 11 p.m. a disc-shaped flying object in the southwest sky. They estimated the diameter to be about 30 feet. It was blue-green in color, with well-defined edges, but surrounded by a glow of same color. Stopping their jeep, they signaled to the object, which approached to within a few meters, then flew away, seeming to play with them. Eventually it vanished "like a magician's trick." (Sources: Project Blue Book files counted in official statistics; Donald E. Keyhoe, Aliens from Space…The Real Story of Unidentified Flying Objects, p. 204; Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, p. 196).

1954 - A green disc landed on a farm near Viomenil-Bataille, France at 6:15 a.m. It left no physical traces, but there were independent witnesses to the event, who reported seeing a second disc fly over heading quickly to the west. (Source: Jean Sider, Dossier 1954 et l'Imposture Rationaliste, p. 125).

1954 - At 10:30 a.m. Maurilio Braga Godoi left the Santo Amaro, Brazil streetcar terminal and started to walk home. The area was deserted at that hour, and when he arrived at a street corner he was surprised to see a large circular object sitting in an empty lot between two houses. The UFO was 90 to 120 feet in diameter and surrounded by a strange bluish-red or violet glow. Curious, he decided to investigate and approached. He soon realized it was much larger than he originally thought and became somewhat apprehensive. It was like nothing he had ever seen before and he thought about going to the police to report it. He felt like running but felt rooted to the ground. He tried to call for help but no sound would come from his mouth. This strange sensation persisted for awhile but finally left him. Godoi noticed that there was an open sliding door in the object, and he went in. He saw a large circular room illuminated by a soft light. He saw no lamps. There was no one in sight and the craft seemed to be deserted. At the center was an oddly shaped table and on it were charts and maps. One of these was a map of the South American continent and it had a glowing or phosphorescent quality. Upon closer examination he noticed little mushroom-shaped symbols scattered about the map.

He had just finished scrutinizing the map when he looked up and confronted three men. They seemed normal in appearance except that they were less than five feet tall. They had dark brown skin, short black hair, and were dressed in one-piece garments like an overall, which were light gray in color. Each wore a belt around his waist which appeared to support an object that Godoi worried might be a weapon. They made no move toward Godoi, but stood staring at him, occasionally conversing among themselves in an unknown language. He noticed that the "K" sound was repeated quite often at the beginning of words more than other sounds.Bynowhisfear had returned and he tried to converse with them to convince them that he meant no harm, but they were expressionless and continued to stare at him intently. He suddenly became aware that, without intention, he was backing out of the craft, literally dragging his feet backwards one step after another. They made no attempt to stop him. When he reached the door he jumped to the ground and started to run away. When about 30 feet away he turned to look back and saw that the craft was now hovering about 30 feet above the ground, having at the bottom center a spinning "screw without end." The UFO climbed silently at high speed with a violet glow around its edges. The witness was examined by several psychiatrists in Sao Paulo who concluded that he showed no signs of mental illness. The case is listed as an "unknown" by the Brazilian Air Force. (Source: Coral E. Lorenzen, Flying Saucer Occupants, pp. 198-199).

1957 - Five kilometers west of Canadian, Texas military and civilian witnesses reported seeing a submarine-shaped object at 3:30 a.m. It was red and white, two or three times as long as a car, and at ground level. It was about three meters in height. A figure was seen standing near this object, and there was something else that witnessed to a white signal flag. When a car stopped in the vicinity, a flash of light from the object coincided with the sudden failure of the car's headlights. (Source: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 418).

1957 - Beginning at 10:50 p.m. in Levellend, Texas "...a number of motorists and police officers in different localities encountered at close range a luminous egg-shaped object estimated at about 200 feet in length. Several reports confirmed that when the object passed at close range car engines and lights failed. One report described how two men driving a truck watched as the object came near. The lights and engine failed, then the object passed directly over the vehicle with a sound like thunder and a rush of wind. The truck rocked from the blast and a lot of heat was felt. Later there were reports of apparently the same luminous object on the ground and taking off in other areas near Levelland. Reports of vehicle interference followed a similar pattern, with engines and lights returning to normal on the departure of the object." (Source: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 419).

1966 - In Parkersburg, West Virginia Mr. Woodrow Derenberger, a travelling salesman, saw a dark object ahead of him on the road. It was flat on the bottom and rounded on top. As he stopped the object came to within 20 cm of the road surface, and a man of dark complexion, dressed in a shirt and ordinary trousers that were both shiny blue in color, came out. He smiled at the witness who then thought that he received a telepathic message. The message described a hypothetical "other world" and suggested that the observation be reported to authorities. The man also promised to return. Several people who drove by the witness reported seeing a man speaking to him, as well as a strange vehicle nearby. (Source: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 804).

1966 - During the evening Mrs. Mark deFriend, age 32, saw an object at ground level in front of her car in El Campo, Texas on this rainy night. It would leave the road and fly over the fields from time to time. The greenish-blue object flew back in front of her car, and then was lost to sight behind some trees. (Source: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia: A Century of Landings, case 803).

1967 - A woman working in her kitchen late on this night in Point Pleasant, West Virginia heard a loud squeaking sound coming from outside. She looked out and saw a huge shadow spread across the grass, and then a figure described as tall, man-shaped, and gray in color appeared. It glided quickly across a field and disappeared into the woods. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1967, case # 1405, citing John A. Keel, The Mothman Prophecies).

1967 - At 9:30 p.m. two 23-year-old Navajo Indians, Guy Tossie and Willy Begay, were driving south of Ririe, Idaho when they were blinded by a flash of white light. Their car engine stalled and came to a stop and immediately ahead of them, hovering just five feet off the ground, they saw a domed disc-shaped UFO 6-8 feet in diameter and perhaps three feet thick. On top was a transparent bubble dome, occupied by two small entities. The dome flipped open and one of the occupants floated out and to the ground, then approached the car. Through the UFO's flashing lights the men were able to see that the being was no more than three feet tall, and bald with ears set up high on his head. His facial skin looked scarred and wrinkled, "like a cantaloupe." His eyes were round and showed no pupils, and his mouth had lips so thin as to be barely visible. They saw no nose. He was wearing tight fitting coveralls and carried a pack on his back.

To their horror, the being opened the car door and seated himself behind the wheel. Both of the men slid over to the right as far as they could as the car was towed, or driven, off the highway and out into a field of wheat stubble. As soon as the car's motion stopped a terrified Tossie jumped out of the right side of the car, and began running to the farmhouse of William Hammon a quarter of a mile away. As he ran, he found his shadow preceding him, as though a bright light were shining on him from behind. In the car, Begay cowered in the right side of the front seat as the little being attempted to communicate with him, twice saying something incomprehensible in a high, chirruping voice. Getting no response, the being got out of the car and joined the second being, and then the two floated into the UFO which took off and zig-zagged into the sky as it departed.

Ririe, Idaho Close Encounter - 1967

At the Hammon farmhouse Tossie banged on the door screaming for help. The farmer and Bob his son admitted him, and it took a period of time to calm him sufficiently to get his story. By the time they accompanied him back to the field the object had departed and Begay was found in a state of near shock in the front seat. The farmer had to escort the youths by car their fear was so great. There were attendant sightings in the area, and cattle had been reportedly "spooked" on several farms that night. (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1967-112, citing Cpl. Thomas Harper & C. Reed Ricks, NICAP).

1968 - During a thunderstorm, a medical doctor in southern France was awakened at 3:55 a.m. by his crying 14-month-old son. He saw two luminous objects outside his house, and observed them coming close together and merging into one, about 180 meters away from his window. A vertical beam of light was aimed at him for a second as the object tilted, and then the display vanished with a flash, leaving a slowly dissolving cloud. Persistent nightmares and various physiological phenomena, including identical triangular shaped red marks appearing on both the father's and son's lower abdomens, were later recorded. (Source: Jacques Vallee, Passport to Magonia, A Century of Landings, citing Aime Michel).

1971 – A famous UFO close encounter leaving physical evidence occurred on this day at a farm one mile northeast of Delphos, Kansas. Sixteen-year-old Ron Johnson was tending the family sheep with his dog at around seven p.m. when he saw a mushroom-shaped UFO appear in the night sky. The object was covered with multicolored lights on its metallic surface. It hovered only a few feet above the ground only 75 feet away from him in a sheep paddock. Ron estimated the craft's diameter at 6-8 feet.
The teenager tried to get a closer look but under the brilliant luminance he was not able to make out any additional details. He described the craft as making a loud sound, "like an old washing machine which vibrates." The glow from the bottom of the UFO increased as it began to shoot up into the sky. Ron was temporarily blinded by the brightness of the craft as it ascended. After he regained his sight and composure, he ran back to the family house to alert the others. The bright glow was now high in the sky, as it began to vanish from sight altogether.

Three family members came running around the side of the house to get a glimpse of the unusual object. They were shocked to see a glowing ring on the ground, right under where the craft had hovered. Ron’s mother touched the surface of the ground around the glow, and said it "felt strange, like a slick crust, as if the soil was crystallized." Her fingers went numb, like she had been given a local anesthetic. Seeing nothing else of the craft, the family finally went to bed for the night.

At dawn the family returned to the sight of the glowing ring and to their surprise, it was still there. The inside and outside of the ring were damp from a rain shower, but the ring itself was completely dry. The ring had a crusty appearance, as though the rain had simply run off. Slightly over a month later, after a snow fall, the white ice had melted both inside and outside of the ring, but the ring itself maintained the snow drift. Investigators experimented with the ring by removing snow from a section of it and pouring water on the exposed part. The soil would not allow water to pass through.

Further experimentation showed the ground under the ring to be dry to a depth of one foot. The ring itself was composed of a whitish substance, which was sent for laboratory analysis. The lab findings found that there were fibers in the soil of an organism called Actinomycetales actiniomycete nocardia, which is an intermediate organism between bacteria and fungus, and is “often found together with a fungus of the order Basidomycetes, which may fluoresce under certain conditions...” One possible interpretation is that high-energy stimulation triggered the spectacular growth of the Nocardia and of an existing fungus, and caused the latter to fluoresce.
Phosphorous may also have been baked out of the soil and may have been the substance that numbed Mrs. Johnson’s fingers when she touched the ground. The experience of Ron Johnson is still considered one of the best documented "ground trace" UFO cases on record. (Sources: Ted R. Phillips, FSR Case Histories, February 1972, p. 4; Ted R. Phillips, Physical Traces Associated with UFO Sightings, case 494; Clancy D. Tull, APRO Bulletin, March-April 1972, p. 8; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence (Volume II): A Thirty Year Report, p. 264).

Written by Donald A. Johnson, Ph.D. (Revised 15 September 2004).

Compiled from the UFOCAT computer database.

Themes: car pacings, cigar-shaped UFOs; communication; disc-shaped UFOs; glowing objects; human looking UFOnauts; maneuvering UFOs; Mothman, multi-year reports from Texas; ovoid UFOs, physiological aftereffects: anomalous body marks; short human-appearing UFO occupants; small humanoids with wrinkled skin, telepathy; two UFOs merging into one; unintelligible language, vehicle EM ignition interference effects: engines and headlights; violet, blue-green or green colored UFOs.